Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Mistakes,,, I have done them all (or have I?)

Re: Mistakes,,, I have done them all (or have I?)

Couldnt understand why my sounder kept saying the depth was about 0.2-0.5m below, when I knew the depth to be much more.

On inspection I found the nut was loose that secures it the transducer, and it had swung around pointing upwards.

I was looking for birds above instead of fish below. > >

Mike

took a girl fishing as a first date...she didn't find it arousing

Remembered another one.My brother my girlfriend at the time and myself were in my fathers little boat.We were moving spots when my girlfriend and brother start yelling that we're being chased by a shark they can see a fin coming up behind the boat.I slowed the boat a bit and lokked back and couldn't see anything so took of again.They both start yelling it's back go faster, but it's flat out. I looked back and saw it and for a sec I thought it was a fin to then realised it was the small back sand anchor we'd forgot to pull back in.They both felt really stupid after freaking out.

vossy

Have done the leaving the bung out trick a couple of times, but the best one I've seen is a day I went out fishing witha mate and his old man. It was the old boys pride and joy. To cut to the chase we had to put out a bow and stern anchor because of the flowing current, but you guessed it we pulled up the bow but forgot the stern anchor. The boat drifted back , and as we took off the rope pulled off the tie down point along with part of the gunwale. You think the the lod boy was happy jeesh!

A mate of mine went out fishing got on to some good fish filled the esky full of fish. They returned to the ramp and one of them took the esky out of the boat and put it on the ramp and that is where it stayed for some other lucky person to find an esky full of fish plus some gear inside the esky.
    It's all part of the fishing experience

The only ones i have done is as most left out the bungs and the other was when i was cleaning out the boat at home i had the anchor on the ground to wash the rope and of course when i had finnished the clean went to drive off and the anchor dug into the ground and left me wondering why the car wasnt pulling. only damage was the anchor got bent. but din't do it again

Mantis

Good Friday. The Maiden voyage with new boat. Packed the boat with all the gear. esky in with supplies and ice, rods, net and gaff and top up the fuel and off we to the ramp. Waited in line for 15 minutes so double checked everything. Launch the boat no problems found a found a car park 10 miles away and walking back to the boat UM WHERES THE BAIT still at home .....UM.....*%#@#.....buggar!
    Oh well it's time to give the SP's ago. No fish but i'm learning to play with em.

opps doubled up

I've got a couple of doozis:

Fishing at Shady camp (NT-Croc Paradise) there was a fair bit of fresh coming over the barrage. We pushed up into the current as close as we could without the guys on the bank and barage tossing their lures into the boat. Anchored up and started threshing trhe water to foam with our lures.

Cant' remember much because what happened next kinda sticks in the mind.

The anchor pulled and we started drifting downstream with the current. With the anchor out our drifitng speed was perfect. I was at the back of the boat and you know happens next... The anchor suddenly sticks and the jerk is enough for me to get extremely well acquainted with the motor. Unfortunately in my desparate attempts to avoid being croc food (they line up here at 10-20m intervals), I had to sacrifice my new abu6500 and ripper rod to the water gods.

Shady camp accounts for a number of stupid things in a boat:

Jumping out onto one of the other smaller barrages right next to a 1.5 m croc (twice), tourists in a hire boat gathering all of our trolling lines around their prop.

A mate taking me through the densest part of the croc herd at low tide at full speed - that was just plain stupid and I still have nightmares.

Elsewhere becoming distratced by the lure swinging in the wind and attempting to reattach to guide at full speed in creek and attempting a short cut thru the mangroves. (that was funny)

I've got more.

Mozza