Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: What will we do if fuel hits $2.00 a litre??

Re: What will we do if fuel hits $2.00 a litre??

I wonder if we'll see some of the pros give the game away because of the additional fuel costs, or will they increase their prices like others have done? They problem they have, unlike others, is the uncertainty as to whether they'll actually catch anything after having spent a motza on diesel during the night.

Wouldn't be surprised to see some of them trying to get the government to "buy-back" their licences, especially those over the border.

TOL

I'll have to piss the car off so I can afford to run me boat

maat

If fuel goes over $2 a ltr , we may have to evolve from fishos to grottie yahaties............ .......

It will be a Sad Day Indeed, if you have to give up your favourite pastime because of the price of fuel.
    regards

I think there are enough deckies who want to come fishing with me I will become more selective about who I invite. ie: The deckie most generous in giving me some dollars toward fuel. Sad and cruel thing to consider, but true. Still, it's a very hard decision to make because some of them I want along because they are good company, not because they are flush with money.

Decisions decisions.....

Scalem

Dont care what it costs, I'm still going.

There's more at stake here than fish, I use my time at sea to clear all the cr@p out of my head & leave it out there, that more than takes care of the fuel bill.

Muzz

Flash

Quote Originally Posted by onerabbit
    Dont care what it costs, I'm still going.

There's more at stake here than fish, I use my time at sea to clear all the cr@p out of my head & leave it out there, that more than takes care of the fuel bill.

Muzz
    Good one Muzz.

I used to ride motorbikes for that, really clears the head.

Flash

I suppose I'll have to stay land based a bit longer.

My 5.5mtr glass Seafarer with Johnno 115hp 2 stroke motor will do an offshore trip 1hrs run out and 1hr back with a coupla hrs trolling etc etc thrown in ramp to ramp for about 55 litres fuel consumption-assuming planing conditions 80% of trip.At $1.30 per litre it is manageable at $2.00 per litre it starts to get serious.The government extracts 50% of the fuel price which I believe is the highest fuel tax in the world,so the govt could alleviate some of the pressure if they had the will to that is.
    Fuel/oil production is fairly complex but as I understand it easy to get at oil reserves are reducing and new 'easy' extraction reserves aren't being located any more.Countries like England rely on the north sea for most of their oil but this is dwindling.Other countries like China and India are modernising rapidly and therefore require oil too-in vast amounts!.So demand is outstripping supply very quickly and the cost of very deep oil extraction is self defeating-it uses more energy to extract it than what it yields.ie uses one barrel of energy to extract 0.5 a barrel of oil.
    In the end fuel costs will rise continually until it becomes unviable as an energy source for everyday use and this will FORCE the powers that be to seriously research and produce a viable alternative which may even be more environmentally friendly as a bonus-oh and that's assuming that they don't already have a viable alternative waiting in the wings.
    Personally I'm thinking of purchasing a sail boat to go fishing in!.Don't panic!! cheers ,Jace.

1. We do not have the highest goverment fuel tax in the world, far from it.

2. When Greenpeace mounted the campaign and many other greenies jumped on board to help kill the shale oil project near Gladstone Sunfish jumped on board with Greenpeace. So it really is necessary to think things through before you are seduced.

If some can't afford the $2.00 per litre they won't fish in their boats, those that can will if it means less boats on the water make it $3.00 yyyyeeeeeeeehhhhhaaaaaaa.

THE BOMBER

bidkev

For those that may be interested, a google of sand oil or bitumen oil, may well stagger you. Canada alone has reserves expected to last for another 500yrs at current production, and vast tracts of wilderness are expected to dissapear to mining. Venezuela could also become a major player if Chavez doesn't frighten off investment. 70 other countries have deposits and from what I have read thus far, the traditional oil players on whom we have come to rely, may well have to move over to make way for less troublesome suppliers.........that is...........if those making a killing now are outed as scaremongering when they speak of reserves dwindling.

http://ffden-2.phys.uaf.edu/102sprin...ects/M.Sexton/

Whilst the fat cats are getting fatter and we are worrying about whether we can justify using our boats as much, think on this:

"Skyrocketing prices for crude oil have started a rush that has turned the sands profitable. The industry has been producing oil for as little as $24 a barrel, creating huge profits when prices hit $70 a barrel or $60 or even $50.

The oil industry demanded, and was given, major tax breaks and sweetheart royalties by the provincial and federal governments for oil sands development. Under a new royalty schedule recently announced by the Alberta, companies will pay a minuscule one percent on oil sands production."

Makes me wanna throw up

kev

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an automatic emergency on my part.

shale oil and sand oil and oil under ice are there by the billions of barrels kev..just a tad more expensive to extract..no big deal. All these doomsayers carrying on about alternative fuels cos oil is running out are full of crap...unless of course they are paid by the alternative fuel companies...similar to hole in ozone layer dribble...just depends who is paying as to the story the average joe receives.

hussy

suppose i will have to get a honda ,problem solved

redspeckle

See in Today Sunday Mail 7/5/06 on Page 32 About Story on the Petrol Crisis
    They have petrol prices from around the world from in Australian Dollars starting at cheapest 6c a Litre in Venezuela to most dearest in Norway at $2.54 a litre
    Other countries list like USA $1.11 UK $2.29 France $2.49 Germany $2.24
    Japan $1.53 Canada $1.17 Russia 88c China 76c and Australia at $1.33
    Also was listed a one of the biggest oil produces Saudia Arbia at 19 c a litre
    I am glad not living in Europe over the $2.00 mark at here Australia has reach that yet still be fishing until then
    Mitch
    C'mon The Cowboys in 2006