Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: ~ Occupations ~

Re:  ~ Occupations ~

If you are going to work for yourself as a young bloke you need to be
    SELF DISCIPLINED Something I was NOT >

When I finished my apprenticeship as a Watchmaker I started working for myself doing piece work for other shops. (Paid by the completed job's).
    I was 2 doors from the pub, used to work 2-3 hours a day Mon-Thurs, earnt enough money to pay for piss for the day, then on Fridays I would have to work 5-6 hours to make enough money for piss for the weekend... GOD I HATED FRIDAY'S (Quite frankly I needed to grow up a bit more). I gave it away after a year as I was out of control and realised it.

If you have any clues at all, what ever you decide to do, do it well, do it to the best of your ability, make something of yourself while you are young and healthy and are able to work hard and make a good name for yourself.... their are plenty of Businesman, Tradesman, Shopworkers and Labourers that take no pride in the work that they do and how they do that job at all. Doesnt matter what job you do as long as at the end of the day you can hold your hand out for the paypacket without it shaking and have the respect of those around you (It's great to get a good income though)

Best of luck to you in your future... no matter what occupation you choose, the world is your oyster

Best Wishes
    Lloyd

marlinqld

Been a sales rep in scaffolding/ equipment hire industry for 18 years and loved it all the way.

Just remember 1 thing all the big bucks in the world won't make you happy.
    I work in 1 of the lowest paid industry's going but me and my family are all together and happy and havin a ball.

Stuff the 12 hr shift work or 12 days on 5 off $hit I like my 38 hr week where I get to see my family.

My 2 cents worth
    Tight lines <*)(((((((((><

Consultant: Safety/QMS - Lead Auditor.

Also did 12 years in the Army, 3 year bumming around the globe (best thing I ever did! and a couple of years as a company training officer.

What ever you choose, just make sure you enjoy it. If not move on.

Lloyd - Thanks mate, i'll be going hard at it for sure - no doubt about that.

Ive still got a little time up my sleeve to decide where i want to go and do...

TinarooTriumph

TT

Theo,

I agree with Dave, check out all of Kiyosaki's books before you commit yourself to any sort of job.

I think they'll open your eyes to some big changes a-comin' for all workers.

I've done the uni thing, the Tradie thing and am now well into the next phase - best thing you can do is keep an eye on changing patterns in society and be flexible. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, that's the best way to learn.

I like the following quote " Don't think you are on the right track just because it is a well beaten path."

And to keep the QUOTE POLICE &gt; happy, it is by David Holmgren.
    He was the co-originator (with Bill Mollison) of Permaculture, the principles of which would solve many of our water crisis', energy crisis', resources vs environment crisis', oil crisis' etc, etc.

Good luck Theo,

Mick.

P.S - don't forget to leave time for fishin'!

Check out my boat for sale in the classifieds

• 469 Stacer open Seahorse/Nomad
    • 50hp 4 stroke tiller Mercury
    • Heaps of extras, in top condition
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

gropeher

Become a politician, you get to do stuff all, good bucks, and do what you want when you want.

Hell maybe I should have become Beatties right hand man.
    Fish all day, do nothing, amd get megga bucks.

I would not recommend working for yourself, most of those in the true know how will tell you the money you actually make for the hours put in equates to about $2.25 an hour, unlesss your about to open a major bio company that has a heap of potential and you dont really need to work there, just reap the rewards.

My two bob, Invent a new product otherwise, cure cancer or bad backs and your on your way to a multi billion $ business.
    I'll be the guinea pig for the bad back when you find the cure, I'll even help take some of the profits if you like!

As for me, I plan to retire at 35, thats 2.5 years away, I have started investing in different things and I'm buggered if I'm going to work till 65.
    There are more important things in life, like family and fishing and holidays aroung the world!!!!

Take care and try and enjoy the ride the best you can.

Cheers Ryan..

find a job that you like in a company that you like.
    as more than likely you'll be there for a loooong time

ATM I'm a truckie for a steel supplier and enjoy working there with a great crew around me

Daniel

PS another truck pic for you gawby

Im a laminator, and work for Riviera. Its pretty dusty and hot most of the time but i really like it. Good company to work for (ill proberly retire there) loads of oppotunity for advancement, and i work with good blokes.... suits me fine.

Im a laminator, and work for Riviera. Its pretty dusty and hot most of the time but i really like it. Good company to work for (ill proberly retire there) loads of oppotunity for advancement, and i work with good blokes.... suits me fine.

MulletMan

Retired now (sigh) but those were the days .................

Now I'm in charge of a shopping trolley at Woolies!

Re: #~ Occupations ~

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinkPanther
    Retired now (sigh) but those were the days .................

Now I'm in charge of a shopping trolley at Woolies!
    You are a better man than me PP. One thing I will not do is fly..I hate it.

MulletMan

Pinhead, I am the worst passenger in the world!
    Absolutely packing 'em every time I sit down the back.
    Every bump, squeak, noise or RPM change, I break out in a cold sweat!
    I know "the end" would be painless but it is the 2.35.5678 seconds in a terminal spin with no wings or on fire that really makes my bowels rumble!

gruntahunter

Re: #~ Occupations ~

do not ,i repeat do not buy a concrete truck

Jim_Byrne

The property industry is pretty profitable!