Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: THE WATER CRISIS we had to have??

Re: THE WATER CRISIS we had to have??

Jace, Amen

One point about climate change science though - we do have data on atmospheric Carbon Dioxide concentrations over hundreds of thousands of years (from Polar ice cores)- and it is unequivical in the current atmosphere and rate of increase being unprecendented in the life of our species and the rapid increase is strongly correlated with the advent of the industrial revolution - so although the 'greenhouse effect' is natural (life wouldn't exist with out it) and there are natural cyclic phenomena associated with atmospheric C02 levels the jury is in on the current concentrations and rate of increase being tied to human activity - and the sooner we stop denying it and start addressing ways to mitigate it and cope with it (including achiving the sustainable balance you refer to) - the better!!

Regards - Jim
    'Stick to fishing instead of fighting' - JC

Jace..why was the banning of CFC's (in some countries) so good if the hole in the ozone layer is cyclical...perhaps some shifty work from some chemical companies may have been involved.

Onya Jimbo & Jace,

plenty of sensible points made there - wish a few more people could see it this way instead of short term brainless bandaid solutions to self-inflicted problems.

Wonder what certain people would say if in the interests of progress, the Beattie/Bligh superduo decided their next project would be to create another international shipping port at Jumpinpin by dredging out the bar, building big shipping terminals & port facilities,refineries, no-go zones everywhere, foreign marine pests being discharged in ship's ballast water, diesel spills, mega commercial fishing operations setting up locally to take advantage of the close access to export facilities, etc,etc.?

How about a nuclear power plant to sustain all the energy guzzling desalination plants that look like getting built around here or to power the mega airconditioning systems everyone seems intent on installing because no one is building homes that take advantage of our natural climatic conditions.

Just ask little Johnny, he'll tell you we need Nuclear power and renewable
    sources are too expensive - and then he'll go and give billions of our taxpayer dollars to Nuclear corporations to set up here. Watch 60 minutes this Sunday and you'll see how much bias there is.

There are better solutions, but who ever said politicians were good at thinking? That's why big fat corporations gladly do the thinking for them!

Check out my boat for sale in the classifieds

• 469 Stacer open Seahorse/Nomad
    • 50hp 4 stroke tiller Mercury
    • Heaps of extras, in top condition
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Just keep on putting in the air conditioning systems..I love em.

FishOn

Re: Pressure sprayers - Level 3 Restrictions

I was advised by the people that distribute the Lavor sprayers, here in Queensland, that all their machines will work by gravity feed from a bucket. They are not able to draw the water if the source is at the same level.

Can anyone confirm that gravity feed water to the Lavor units does work, and that it works well enough?

Kind regards Trevor

Trev, Can't help with the "Lavor" brand but my $99 special from Bunnings will work if the bucket is a few feet above the unit, but not if they are on the same level. I suspect this might be the case with most types.
    The bad news is that it empties a bucket pretty fast. Practical for small quick jobs only. I'm going to check with my local council to find out about the legal issues.

Regards Leo.

FishOn

Leo how long does water using the Bunnings item last and from what size bucket?

The Lavor Eagle 24 (about $600) uses 8 litres per min, which means 2.5 mins before refilling a 20l bucket.

The rate may vary if there is outlet in the bottom of the bucket or it has to be drawn up over the edge of the bucket. It may be best to make a bucket for the purpose with the outlet in the side at the base.

Another reasonable option may be to connect a hose from the deck wash pump inlet to a bucket on the ground and keep refilling it. This will only work is you have a very deck wash pump off course. Add another extension to the spiral hose to get all round the boat. Or buy one? Trouble is these use between 12-18 litres per min, which is more refilling (and water).

Kind regards Trevor

Trevor,
    I was using a 15L bucket , but it only had about 12 litres in it.
    I didn't time it, because it was just a test to see if it would be a practical way to do my concrete paths and the pad the boat & trailer sits on.

It probably lasted about 2 minutes or little less - about 6 or 7 litre a min.

I decided it was not practical for my needs, and since the house needed a good clean too, I paid a pro $125 to do the lot.

I think that three or four full 20L buckets might be enough to give the boat and trailer a quick wash, so I will be checking with my local council (Logan) to see what their interpretaton of the rule is on this issue.

I dont think it matters if the hose comes up over the side of the bucket if the bucket is well above the pump. However it could be that the hose from bucket to pump needs to be full of water before you start to avoid an air lock. This would perhaps be easier with a bottom outlet.

I haven't got a deck wash so I haven't considered that option

Regards Leo.

Re: New Water Restrictions Brisbane

Quote Originally Posted by MrWhiskers
    [quote author=Jeremy link=1150152517/0#8 date=1150163459][quote author=PinHead link=1150152517/0#4 date=1150153724]http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/bccwr/lib85/20060607_reslevel3web.pdf
    Pinhead,

I can see the part about using backets to wash the boat, but where in that document does it say anything about flushing your outboard?

Jeremy[/quote]

Jeremy,
    i have phoned the council..
    you can flush motor with muffs for manufacturers recommended time.
    also you can use a water blaster if it is one of the ones that can draw water from a bucket. all the Karcher ones that Bunnings sell can draw water from a bucket. prices from $100 & something to $1000 & something. mid range puts out around 1700 psi for around $399. should also use a lot less water than throwing buckets of the stuff at your boat..probably a goo investment if restrictions are here for a while..[/quote]

Mr Whiskers, was that the brisbane council you rang ? i rang them and was told i couldnt use a water blaster even from a bucket , but that comes from a call centre lady who is reading from a list of rules ,so who knows what your allowed .
    what gets me though is that they ok business to hook up pressure cleaners direct to mains water , doesnt seem right to me .

hi to leo, {grayson}
    $125 to do the lot ? house and boat? I am long way from towns, and just curious as to price, did they carry their own water in a tanker or did they use your supply?.
    cheers from peter.

Peter -- No, it didn't include the boat . It was $85 to wash the house, which he did with a chemical spray followed by a rinse with the hose, and $40 to blast the grunge off a couple of short concrete paths, and a concrete pad about 6mX4m on which I park the boat trailer. It did not include hand washing the windows - just a spray & rinse like the rest of the house.

He used my hose & mains water supply which he was allowed to do because it is how he makes his living. I presume, though I don't know for sure, that he has to be registered or licenced to do this.

It is a bit ironic though, that I could pay him to do it, but I was not allowed to do myself, even though I had the gear.

At that time we were still allowed to wash boats with a hose as long as it had a trigger, so I didn't get him to wash the boat or trailer.

Regards Leo.

that would be like the tanker marked 'Recycled Water' that shipped a standpipe into the fire hydrant in our street during the week, and filled his tank.

Maybe they have started recycling the sewer, or maybe he was legal.

Then again, maybe not.

Thanks Leo, was curious on that one, likewise i find it a bit ironic about using your supply, maybe the train of thought is that as a business operaration he will do the job as quickly as appropiate to make the dollars.
    I have seen rainwater tanks hooked up in towns just for gardens or washing cars and boats, not for drinking, but am not sure if they are legal though. Some team poly tv adverts show tanks next to houses that could only be in towns as would be next to useless for storages on farms,
    All the best and hopefully some good rain over next few days, the radar shows them developing out west of here at moment. {just on the day i have to drive a vehicle to town to get broken windscreen wipers fixed } Cheers from Peter