Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: How safe is fishing Solo?

Re: How safe is fishing Solo?

Bundy I have to agree with you about being in the boat under a canopy of stars is the most relaxing place in this world. My memories of being out all night in my dads boat are among the most special that I have. Absorbing the serenity is what kept me doing it for years. These days I enjoy the same thing but I will be sharing it with my wife or a mate.

Kel

Sure it has crossed my mind but cant say I have really given it any deep thought. If I want to go for a fish I hook the boat up and go . When flicking lures I prefer to have the boat to myself, move the electric where I want and dont have to worry about making sure another person does not fall in the drink (anyone who owns a bowmount electric will know what I mean ) or is always lined up for a decent cast and retrieve and if things are slow I can stay or go as I please. I take the bigger boat out the Bar myself and always log on/off with the coast guard and tell the missus where i am going and ETA back. I guess the point of getting knocked out is a good one if there is somebody to keep your head up but when it comes down to it, if the conditions are safe I will always rather go for a fish than miss the opportunity just cause you cant find a decky.

As for launching and retreiving the boat, while the wind can be a pain I think alot comes down to the trailer. A boat 5mts and under and a well set up trailer should be a simple enough job to deal with without turning you off going out. The biggest prob I have is when using the fiberglass cuddy with no sand or jetty to keep the boat off the ramp. Thats my biggest turn off for a solo trip.
    Eat well, drink in moderation, exercise often and yet you still die anyway!

95% of fishing done solo in last 6 years. launch/retreive @ Wello (15.5ft v-nose)
    no way i would do it in my glass rig though.

ripped lights off both sides of trailer one night trying to retreive in 25kn easterly, w/ 1/2m chop up the bum (of the boat). not fun. was about 7pm in winter, bystanders on jetty were very amused by crunching and cracking sounds coming from boat and trailer meeting where thay hadn't previously - and only came over to see how i was after i got the lot up the ramp and stopped to remove the bungs to drain the 200 litres or so of water that had slopped over the transom. I politely told them to p1ssoff!!! very politely.
    They obviously weren't ausfishers.

otherwise no other real dramas that i can remember.

I love fishing solo.
    Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. But ,flogging him into submission will result in him taking up crabbing.... and once he gets a taste of that sh*t, well, he may never return again.

gees guys i'm 62 fished all my life 90% of the time outside 95% of the time on my own its never occured to me the need for a deckie for safety reasons if you are of sound mind in a sound boat the national odds of coming to grief are very low so low that if those odds scare you you should never get out of bed the odds are far greater of coming to grief in your own home let alone walking on the footpath now how about driving in your car wow now thats scary odds

Quote Originally Posted by wayneoro
    gees guys i'm 62 fished all my life 90% of the time outside 95% of the time on my own its never occured to me the need for a deckie for safety reasons # if you are of sound mind in a sound boat the national odds of coming to grief are very low #so low that if those odds scare you you should never get out of bed # the odds are far greater of coming to grief in your own home #let alone walking on the footpath now #how about driving in your car wow now thats scary odds
    All true Wayneoro

Thank you for your comment. #I guess what is being said is that sometimes we need to keep ourselves in check, and never to be complacent about the potential dangers on the water. #I am not a NANCY for letting the comments of a senior citizen find their mark, but feel I have gained by listening to what he had to say, and many replies to this thread, which will help me go fishing solo that much safer. #Some may need reminding more than others, I might just need more coaching.

Only this week, I learned of two accounts where accidents could have been prevented, although they were not anything to do with boating, maybe they could have been reminded about the dangers of what they were doing.. We all have temporary lapses of concentration or carelessness.

The 1st was a medical program where the guy suffered severe burns after angle grinding a 44 gallon drum to make a water trough. #The drum still had petrol vapors inside it.

Today, a guy lit a cigarette while he still had cleaning thinners on his hands. #In both circumstances, help was very close by. #I don't think fishing Solo is a circumstance where help is readily available. #Do you admit to having lapses in concentration?? #I would never admit to being so stupid!! But then again.....

Scalem

Good on you Wayneoro.
    Glad to see that you are still enjoying life.

I cannot see why we should not go solo ,as long as we take all necessary precautions and have all the safety gear.And know our limits.

There are so many pursuits that have similiar risks.
    EG Outback tripping,Snow sports,Swimming ,diving.

Sure ,with some of these there would be people around,but more people are killed doing these than solo fishing.

Regards
    Seabug