Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How safe is fishing Solo?

NeilD

Re: How safe is fishing Solo?

I like a bit of company on most occasions but have done many a trip solo. The most interesting was a period where I was regularly launching a 16ft Abalone of the beach at Woodgate by myself. Fun at times
    The quality of time by oneself has to be measured against the inherant risks of going solo. When alone you are not distracted by others and can concentrate on your game plan and the fishing environment.

You can also get really bored if the voices in your head keep telling you the same old things and the if the fish dont cooperate the day can be pretty long.

The further you go offshore the bigger the risk. Try a few comfortable trips and build up if it suits you.

Neil

[quote author=Hornblower link=1153122566/15#29 date=1153135952] But if you take the "wrong" person with you, it could make it possibly more dangerous e.g. someone with no common sense and let's face it we all know someone like that.

As long as I can see the land and its close, so if sh@t hits the fan, I can swim to shore.I like to fish on my own too, and night fishing is a real
    buzz for me. Sitting alone in the middle of the night, can be spooky,
    specially when a dolphin comes along behind you and blows its air hole
    at 1.00am, and I just put a cup of #coffee to my lips, and after cleaning
    the hot coffee off my self, my hands wouldnt stop shaking 10mins.
    That brought the nerves undone, but what a rush. I think I went home after that, It was good to see the ramp on that occasion.

signed tunaman

NOT SURE WHAT HAPPENED THEN. .WHAT i WAS GOING TO SAY WAS i COULDNT AGREE MORE WITH Hornblower about taking an inexperienced person with you..can be more harm than being by yourself I expect

Check PM Scalem

All the best be safe
    Murks

i most enjoy goin solo not that it happens much with 3 kids .there is no waiting around cause the deckies late ,its total peace no tapping on the ali sides no turning the radio up just peace and quiet and everything being done just how i like it.with a driveon trailer and 535 cc i have no probs launching and retrieving all safety gear is in place and someone always knows where ill be and when ill be home .a bit of commonsense and faith in your boat and motor i cant see any reason why not to go out alone

I only estuary fish but I quite often go on my own...did so Thursday a fortnight back..went and had a quick fish this evening...as for company..when you have as many voices chatting away in your head, you don't really need any others. The safety aspect...I am always careful whether alone or have someone with me...if everything goes pear shaped..well, such is life....I am here to enjoy the ride not watch it slowly meander past.

Great_White

Hi Scalem good topic, I fish solo a lot in the passage in Caloundra don't mind doing it as I can't get into too much trouble out there .

Have only been out in the bay 3 times now and would fish it by myself with more experience, But Janine loves to fish so she is always comes out with me.

Offshore or over a bar no way at this stage, but would be into what Jason (longtail) said and going out with a few other ausfishers.

Had an older 4.3 savage with a 40 hp mariner and even though never net me down. I always had it in the back of my mind that if I went too far out or on too long a cruise something would happen / go wrong. In the the new boat 2 1/2 yr old stessco 4.75 I have more confidence in the rig and would go solo given a chance in an area that I knew.

I also like a chat so having someone else on board while the fish aren't biting is good to make a day of it

Peter

Hi People,

Have been to a committee meeting since putting up this topic, and really happy with all your responses, because I am amazed that so many of you go Solo fishing for the same reasons that I do. #There's too many replies to mention everyone individually, but Kingtin, I read your account of going overboard in your tinnie a few weeks ago, and that would be enough to scare anyone, no matter how confident. Your thread back then is one of the "horror stories" I am referring to.

Too late in the night to think straight, going to bed now, but I am enjoying all your feedback, thanks guys!

Scalem

I've allways found peace in solo trips. It either lets you explore more ground or try new tactics. The night time jitters can get to you though, even when you are with a crowd as the things that go bump in the night don't care haw many are in the boat.

I would go to Tempest looking for snapper or the bay fishing for whiting solo as I believe I am well prepared for most events and capable of launching and retrieving solo.

Normally I tell someone where I am going, but we know how that can change in an instant.

And when the missus is cranky, what's the use in telling her. She'd probably send the search party the other way.

Know your equipment. Know your limitations.

I also think it can be more dangerous on land at most times. Probably more cars driving into lounge rooms than boating fatalities.

Angla

I'm with the safety in numbers crowd. There's no such thing as being 100 percent safe in life but there are steps you can take to get you closer.

I fish from shore on freshwater lakes and rivers and I STILL don't go alone. I've had too many accidents and serious injuries to risk it. I was fishing from a bunch of rocks that I thought were stable. They weren't and I fell and got hurt pretty bad. My brothers helped me get out of what would have been quite a mess. Another time, we were wading/ fishing in a river and I thought it would be O.K. to go a bit further into the fast running channel. Wrong! I slipped on an algae covered rock and down the river I would have gone had my brother not grabbed hold of me and pulled me to safety. I've saved them a few times as well.

We have a couple of canoes that we built together and we never go out alone. It's always two men per canoe and we always take them both with. Throw ropes and life vests (those are required anyway) are always there too.

You're big boys and girls and you can do what you like, but I think going out to sea by yourselves is an awfully big risk to take. One slip and fall, one big unseen wave, one accident with a fillet knife while cutting bait or whatever, one collision with an unseen object, etc and you're in a world of trouble. Having a pal there to help is a very good thing.

I like the idea one poster had about meeting up with other boats as well. If your or their engine conks out, you can hitch up and pull the other boat back to land.

In my humble opinion, it's best to go in numbers. There are just too many things that can happen out there at sea.

"When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

I used to borrow my dads boat and fish solo all night in the Pine. Since I have been diagnosed with heart problems I have given up on the idea of going out alone, it just isnt worth it if something goes wrong. I either take my wife with me or a mate. I still want to do night fishing in the pine or up in the passage but these days it will always be with someone else.

Kel [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

el carpo! I think my mother inlaw wants to get in your boat!

signed tunaman

I've only been out by myself on 3 occasions, all overnighters, and enjoyed every one.( I work shifts so deckies can sometimes be hard to find weekdays).
    Got familiar with the area by day. Marked GPS co-ordinates and used them so i could get to where i was going or wanted to go. Then followed them at night.
    I'm now confident of the area/s i will use to go fishing, or run home should the weather turn sour. Every solo trip has been great, but i have learnt that when i rebuild my trailer i'll have to modify it for ease of solo loading. Once again, some deckies are there to catch fish and may not be clued up enough to realise that letting the anchor chain drag over the side on a drop or retrieve is punishable by a time out in the crab pot in whatever water depth is at hand.
    I have also read about blokes who have spent their entire life on boats coming to grief while flying solo. It can happen, as accidents sometimes do, to anyone, regardless of skill or confidence levels.
    As hornblower noted, you got more chance being taken out on the drive to the ramp or back than on the water (I have questioned that theory after seeing some skips in action though).
    Life's a risk, and i'll keep enjoying it on the water.

I like fishing alone as I can explore and learn and take all the time I need to learn new ways. Most of my fishing is offshore currently in a 17ft Haines, the last trip was 20k's offshore so although you can see land you wouldn't want to swim it.

I always log on with the Seaway tower and I carry a mobile phone and a radio and safety gear for offshore and sometimes use the lanyard. Things I have considered but not implemented is a small EPIRB to go in you pocket as well as one of those inflatable vests that you wear all the time.

My assesment of the danger has been if I suddenly became sick or knocked my head or if I should fall overboard then it would be handy with a deckie. As far as if the boat blew up or went down in a swell I figure that 2people in the drink is no better than 1 person in the drink...So with those odds I figure the chances are I could have a heart attack at home on my own and cark it as well, once you've logged on at least someone will eventually come looking.

I figure that the risks involved for me alone offshore are a lot lower than taking a drive up the M1 so life is all a risk versus pleasure assesment and I enjoy the water on my own, with a deckie its always a different style of trip for good and bad.

G'day
    I run a 12' tinny so no offshore work is an issue here. But i will run manly to moreton now and then with no worries. I run solo about 70% of my time out. Even more when i was younger. If something goes wrong it's 100% my respnsibility and besides, most of the stuff that does go wrong was pre concieved anyway.
    Dave
    PRECISION DETAILING
    For all your MARINE DETAILING needs
    www.precisiondetailing.com.au