Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Prawn Alert on DPI web

Prawn Alert on DPI web

Hello Aufish members

Yesterday I was looking at the DPI QLD Fisheries website, for some info on Mackerel, and after being more confused than when I started looking I noticed an alert on the right side of the page about Prawns.

In particular the alert went on to say anglers should show caution when using prawns for bait or berley if they are bought from larger supermarkets as they could be imported and could contain harmful diseases / bacteria that we could be introducing to the local food chain!

It seems to pertain only to raw prawns, but holy sh1t !!
    How do we know truthfully if the prawns we are buying are local or not ? sure they have a sign on them sometimes saying local or imported, but I have bought "local" prawns before and you just know they aren't the real McOy !!

I bet the soft plastic boys will be all over this like flies on poo
    If men are from Mars, and women are from Venus, politicians must be from uranus ?

Re: Prawn Alert on DPI web

Yep - after hearing Nugget talk on his radio show about the prawn diseases which don't affect humans but which could do serious damage to our wild stocks if the imported prawns are used as bait, i have ceased buying any prawns from supermarksts and shopping centre fish shops to use as bait.

I just use the frozen banana prawns that I get from Watertower Bait and Tackle now.

Buy your bait from a Fresh Seafood shop rather than a supermarket. You will get proper bait then (and local!)... It will outfish frozen crap, and won't have these problems.

If they ban the import of a lot of fruit (bananas, apples etc), supposedly to protect our growers from any disease that may be imported with them, why can't they look at the same restrictions for the seafood imports, if there is that much risk involved.

You would have to wonder why with all thier infinite wisdom and endless funding how the DPI&F / Customs / AQIS could allow uncooked fish product into the country at the risk of our fisheries not to mention public health issues.

I wonder if its worth a call to AQIS or Customs ?

Will the supermarkets / importers of this disease threat be held solely accountable in the event of a devastating disease outbreak ?

I note that on the " Border Security " show the Customs officers at Sydney Airport are frequently handing out fines and destroying food & plant material based on these reasons.

Cheers
    James

S.S.

Wouldn't it be more intelligent to actually ban the importation of green prawns if they're going to have a detrimental effect on our local stocks? # Anglers will go for the cheapest option and they WILL be used as bait whether the DPI does a campaign or not. #I've purchased w.a. pilchards from Pick N Pay Hypermarket and used them as bait in the past, what's to stop anyone from doing the same with prawns?

On another note, with seafood often being labelled incorrectly and the origin of the species is questionable at the best of times (ie, incorrectly labelled/not labelled), how are people supposed to identify an imported prawn against a local prawn?

Exactly LeeannP, this is my bigest concern, we all work off the assumption that what we buy from our local fisho or tackle shop is local stuff, because the packet says so (?)

Same at Woolies etc, just because they put a sticker on the window saying local doesn't mean diddly, they could be from Thaliand, and only the most discerning eater would pick it up !!

I bought a few KG of 'local' green bay prawns the other week from Woolies, took em home and cooked them and they were very average and I sincerely doubt they were truly Aussie prawns

I agree with the general concencus though, why the government or whoever even allow the importation of something that we can catch or grow ourselves with relative ease is the biggest issue !!

If men are from Mars, and women are from Venus, politicians must be from uranus ?

Arent we bashing up the wrong people again.
    I believe the supermarkets would not sell the prawns or imported fish if the major wholesalers didnt have them available.
    I am sure that Mr Woolworth or his supermarket mates went along and said to the wholesalers that they wanted a product they could sell at a price the customer would pay for it, the wholesaler then went looking and found this low quality product.
    Magic he brings in the product makes his money and the supermarket get all the flack.
    Its time we put pressure on the wholesalers to protect our resources and only buy local,even if it is more costly and inconsistant in its supply.
    There would be sometimes the public may have to miss out on his 2 fish meals a week,but we could be confident that the product being sold had no side effects and was not detrimental to our country

wally

I said supermarket / importer, I really think that any pressure to any member of the buying chain is worthwhile when it comes to such an important issue.

a_big_red_1

i get my prawns from the local seafood market ( tigers and king prawns ) i ask for battered and bruised ones, some without heads, i pay $8 per kg, i get to eat half (stir fry or chilly garlic ) and have a shite loads for bait
    cheers
    Daz

For your reading:-

Diseased imported prawns: anglers urged to be alert
    News release | 27 June, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Recreational fishers are being warned against using imported green (uncooked) prawns as bait or berley as they may be putting the State's prawn stocks at risk of a disease outbreak.

Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries Animal Biosecurity manager Ron Glanville said an education campaign launched today alerts recreational anglers, as well as bait suppliers and distributors, to the consequences that using imported green (uncooked) prawns could have on Queensland's prawn fishing industry.

"Imported green (uncooked) prawns from many Asian countries can carry exotic viruses such as White Spot Syndrome Virus (WSSV), Taura Syndrome Virus (TSV) or Yellowhead Virus (YHV)," Mr Glanville said.

"Although not dangerous to humans, these viruses could have devastating consequences for both the Australian prawn fishing and farming sectors.

"There has been a recent influx of imported prawns and while there are some controls on imported green (uncooked) prawns for human consumption, there is still a risk that they could be carrying exotic diseases. While these diseases are totally harmless to humans, they could be very harmful to our wild prawns.

"Introduced fish and shellfish diseases can have long-term effects on aquaculture industries, commercial fishers and aquatic ecosystems.

"It is therefore vitally important that anglers do not buy imported green (uncooked) prawns, which were only intended for human consumption, from the supermarket or fish shop and then use them for bait."

Mr Glanville said it is critical that anglers take the following steps to help keep Australian fisheries safe:

Only use Australian prawns or locally caught species for bait.
    Never use imported green (uncooked) prawns as bait or heads and tails as berley.
    Don't turf in the surf- always dispose of prawns carefully and never throw green (uncooked) prawn waste into waterways. Green (uncooked) prawn waste should not be disposed of into waterways, just in case it is carrying a disease.
    "Biosecurity Australia is responsible for control measures for imported prawns and DPI&F will continue to support them in improving policies and processes for importation of green (uncooked) prawns to help protect Queensland's prawn stocks from disease," Mr Glanville said.

"However, anglers are asked to contact the DPI&F on 13 25 23 if they think that imported green (uncooked) prawns are being sold for bait.

"If anglers can take care with which prawns they use for bait, they can help preserve the relatively disease free status of Australian prawns," Mr Glanville said.

To raise awareness among anglers about the consequences of using imported green (uncooked) prawns as bait, DPI&F is now distributing educational materials to bait and tackle shops and other outlets throughout the State.

For more information contact DPI&F Business Information Centre on 13 25 23.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Media contact: Cassandra France, Ph +61 7 3404 3367

Cheers Phill ( non import prawn buyer )
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by LeeannP
    On another note, with seafood often being labelled incorrectly and the origin of the species is questionable at the best of times (ie, incorrectly labelled/not labelled), how are people supposed to identify an imported prawn against a local prawn?
    Check their eyes - if slanty they are imported
    This does raise another question - can the DPI identify imported raw/cooked prawns

sam

One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce and canonized those who complain.
    Thomas Sowell

Well this is just another thing that can be blamed on us fishos if the wrong bugs into our system, and another reason for them (the politicians) to incur licenses - with fees- on us (which I have no objection to if the money goes back into providing fish stocks for us and funding for more farming of seafood products).

However, the thing that gets me - really and truly - is that countries like Japan and the United States who are the powerbase of the world economy, can simply stop imported meats and other products at the slightest hint of disease. However, Australia has to keep its end of the bargain up in the World Trade agreement - and that is to the detriment of everyone except the Asian Millionaire who owns the typhus and cholera ridden prawn and fish farms and who exploits his workers to the utmost.

Maybe I am just being cynical though, but a DPI alert just doesn't cut it, when what is called for is for those who are paid to protect us should just ban the import of these dodgy products.

Anyway, that's my broadside for the day, and I will leave you with this thought - the only person worse than a politican is a child molestor!
    Horny

Live every day as if it's your last - for one day you're sure to be right!

S.S.

Here's a reply I got from DPI after suggesting that perhaps the uncooked prawns shouldn't be bought into the country in the first place:

"Both the issue of importing green (uncooked) prawns and the country of origin labelling are managed by the Federal Government and as such the Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries does not control this legislation. #However, DPI&F are #taking proactive steps to ensure people are aware of the risks associated with using imported green (uncooked) prawns as bait and encouraging people to make the right decision."

So the Federal Government opens the gates and the DPI&F have to chase the horse that's bolted. #Hmmm..... there are some clever people running our country #

So which federal department do we contact ?

Cheers
    James