Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'Fish bait' kangaroo heads found on beach

'Fish bait' kangaroo heads found on beach

Morning all,

Just read this story on ABC.net.au; bit of a gruesome find for some kids to see to say the least.

"The RSPCA is investigating the discovery of five kangaroo heads on a beach at Deception Bay, north of Brisbane.

Angie Rando says she found the severed heads near a boat ramp while taking a walk on Sunday afternoon."

Can any one vouch for the story?

I know that kangaroos can be a pain for farmers etc but even taking into account that there was *some* legit reason for this; surely someone could have dropped the heads off away from the ramp so kids didn't have to see it.

Tight lines,

Andrew.
    Regards,

Andrew.
    =============
    W: www.agt.id.au
    M: 0410 834 486

Re: 'Fish bait' kangaroo heads found on beach

Thats sick.............

What's worse??
    Kangaroo heads or discarded fish frames and heads from big fish such as snappers, jews, bream, cods of all descriptions, sharks, rays, flatheads or any fish dumped at the ramp or a maggled cat or dog or bird or any animal on the road after a car, truck, bus or what-ever has hit it and a million other vehicles have run over it.
    We're just used to the fish heads and frames and the dead dogs and cats that's all.
    From where I come from a dead roo on the side of the road is like a baysider seeing a fish frame next to the ramp or a motorist on any road seeing a dead cat.
    Maybe the dead roo's were road pizzas and somebody used them for shark bait??
    Who know's??
    A bit more tact disposing of the heads would have been nice though.
    If that's the worst the kids see in their lives then they're very lucky.
    Now if the roo's were killed just for someone to do this to them and they did it with that intention then the culprits are very sick individuals.
    Last edited by finga; 01-08-2007 at 09:02 AM.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Should these people be caught, it's not only the obvious inhumane way these animals have been killed I think you will also find it is illegal to use native animals as fish/crab bait, I beleive there is big fines.CheersPaul

I'm with finga.........

A little more tact with the heads, but hey, we cut live fishes heads off all the time, I but kangaroo meat for dinner all the time, things are regularly killed by us, it's the way of things.

Don't be too quick to jump in bed with the animal lib crowd because fish are the next poor animals to have cruel, inhumane, digusting fisherman made to leave their defensless scaly bodies alone.

Josh

Roo bones are the best crab bait you can get. I personally buy mine from the pet food shop but I know plenty of people grab a bit of roadkill on the way to the ramp. I've also seen chicken heads being used for crab bait. Last year I did some recreactional rabbit shooting in Victoria for the first time. I thought that was a bit gruesome but ol' mate who skinned them and gutted 'em did it as if it was second nature. It's what you're used too I spose as I have absolutely no trouble lopping the head off a fish. How many of you are expert nappy changers? I don't have kids and I gag whenever I smell a dirty nappy. Have to get used to it one day I spose.

I agree with Finga on this one.

maybe it was not a fisherman at all but a "hunter" that cleaned his family meat supply down by the water and just left the heads there by mistake, or was caught by a passerby and bolted, although I must admit, Skippy and chips is not on my list of favorites.

I listened to the report on the radio yesterday with the interview with the person who found these heads. Knowing that Dec Bay ramp leads out over a massive sand/mud flat several hundred metres to the waters edge at low tide and the way the story was told I had the impression that hte heads were out from the ramp a fair way and not beside the ramp as lots of ppl are saying.

I have no problem with these heads being used as bait as long as they have come from harvested roos.

Jack.
    Last edited by tunaticer; 01-08-2007 at 01:27 PM.

I hate roos, I lived in Longreach for 2 years and often went out roo shootin with the boys. They are a bloody pest. The same goes for ferel pigs. The problem here is that Deception bay is not the place that someone would go huntin for Roos. So I would dare say that they were dumped after being killed else where. They could of dumped them more appropiately.
    ________
    WENDIE 99

Quote Originally Posted by thedeckie View Post
    Should these people be caught, it's not only the obvious inhumane way these animals have been killed I think you will also find it is illegal to use native animals as fish/crab bait, I beleive there is big fines.CheersPaul

How where they killed that was obviously inhumane ?

I must be missing something from the link to the article posted.

i'm with finga on this one too ! every now & then if we shoot a roo or 2 for the dogs & i'm going to put the pots in i'll use a bit for bait ( we do have a npws permit & the required tags !!! ) , i feel that city slickers need to get out there & open there eyes up to real life rather than reality tv & whats in fashion ie hunting is cruel ,dont like firearms etc etc.
    when they were bringing in firearm laws & animal lib issues etc. a lot of shooters/hunters said that fisherman are next & guess what ... ..... marine parks , fishing licences , no go zones etc etc
    our 2 little people are exposed to it regularly (3yrs & 4yr ) & believe they are all the better for it , they know where & what the meat & veges come from & what cows , deer , sheep are raised for , hell our little boy wouldn't eat anything that wasn't deer that daddy had shot !!!!!
    regards darryn

ps i'm perhaps a little more tactfull where i leave offal though !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    How where they killed that was obviously inhumane ?

I must be missing something from the link to the article posted.

Killed should probably be replaced with dumped.

Any further questions?

Cheers

Paul

maybe a bit of caveman left in me, I dont mind a roo pattie, good lean meat and barbies well. Not the place to leave heads but I would reckon that about fish heads and frames too.
    cheers
    blaze
    ps
    can someone please tell me a humane way of killing. All we can do is try our

Yeah if they were found out on the banks of the Condamine noone would bat an eyelid.
    The RSPCA seem to get a bit over excited about some of these things, definately manned by people who grew up in the city.
    Last edited by SeaHunt; 01-08-2007 at 04:24 PM.