Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Clever Ideas!

Thumbs up Clever Ideas!

Here's an opportunity to share some good ideas related to fishing and boating etc. I'll start with one. How often have you gone and purchased a large tube of silicone or in this case a tube of Sikaflex to do a small job and when you need it for the next job several months/years down the track it has become useless because it has set off in the tube? Well someone in the trade shared a good idea with me to preserve it and it is simple really. Once you finish with it you put a screw in the end of the nozzle as you would normally but stick the whole tube the freezer. It doesn't freeze as such but it doesn't go off and set rock solid either. I have tried it and it works. Any other good ideas out there? Surely there must be. Feel free to share.

Regards,

Poodroo

Re: Clever Ideas!

OK, mine's related to etc

Terrorists.............most of them came here legally, and some hung around on
    expired visas, for as long as 10-15 years.

Now, compare that to Blockbuster...........you are two days late with a video and those people are all over you................ Let's put Blockbuster in charge of immigration.

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

The problem what you can take for granted blows someone else away,i have tricks of the trade that people always say.."geez i would have never done it that way"....thats the good thing about boards like this, if you get stuck with something there is always someone with a answer...
    ..Greg...."Termites pay the bills"..... Trailcraft 475...75 Hp E-Tec

Not really clever ideas more rationalizations, run 90wt hypoid gear oil in outboard legs, use waterproof marine grease for every application needed at home (one gun one brand, a person will never know the difference over time). And in any engine that has a sump use a HDDO (heavy duty diesel oil) of the correct viscosity - laughing all the way to the bank!

cheers fnq

Here is a little tip I picked up recently after re-flooring my boat with 3 mil checker plate. I will give you the order that putting your boat back together should NOT be in.

1. Fit the meticulously cut aluminium into the boat.
    2. Fix the floor to the boat with numerous pop rivets.
    3. Screw seats back into the boat
    4. Cut marine carpet and hold in place with flat bar aluminium.
    5. Refit fuel tanks, air breathers and all those other fiddley things that you have to have 7 elbows to gain access to.
    6. Look down the back yard at the floatation leaning up against the fence.

Quote Originally Posted by WHALEOIL View Post
    Here is a little tip I picked up recently after re-flooring my boat with 3 mil checker plate. I will give you the order that putting your boat back together should NOT be in.

1. Fit the meticulously cut aluminium into the boat.
    2. Fix the floor to the boat with numerous pop rivets.
    3. Screw seats back into the boat
    4. Cut marine carpet and hold in place with flat bar aluminium.
    5. Refit fuel tanks, air breathers and all those other fiddley things that you have to have 7 elbows to gain access to.
    6. Look down the back yard at the floatation leaning up against the fence.
    Whoops Another job well done, almost

Lol WHALEOIL. That'd be something I'd do. Did you carry on like an angry loony when you realized you left the floatation out? If so we could be long lost twins.

Poodroo

Here is another clever idea. For people with the water restrictions in mind (which should be all of us) there are products that are starting to hit the market now that enable you to wash your car etc without using a single drop of water. I just put one to the test today and the result is very impressive. The product I used is in a spray bottle and put out by Polyglaze. Simply have two rags handy (soft) and spray the product on and wipe with first rag to remove dirt and then polish with the second rag to wipe off any residue and the result is a clean finish with a waxy smoothness. I'm impressed because it has been months since I washed the Pajero and it was looking pretty sad but now gleams and I didn't use a drop of water. Now that's a great idea.

Poodroo

This is one everyone probably already knows but.........

Take a tape measurer and measure out along your fishing rod useful lengths and attach a peice of tape for quick reference. For example, where I live, a bass must be 14" in length and a northern pike must be 24" in length to be legal. So, I measure out from the end of my rod handle 14" and 24" and attach a piece of tape to my fishing rod at 14" and 24". It's a quick and easy way to tell if your fish is a "keeper" or not. It also helps in "guestimating" the size of a fish especially if you add more markers.

I wouldn't keep either species I listed normally, but in the rare occasion that I "gut-hook" a fish and I know it's a goner, I want to know that I won't get fined for keeping an undersized fish.

Then again, you Australians catch fish the size of small buses over there so this may not be altogether practical. Well, you can use it to measure your bait maybe...
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

Quote Originally Posted by Poodroo View Post

it has been months since I washed the Pajero and it was looking pretty sad

Poodroo
    Pajeros always look sad

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Quote Originally Posted by el_carpo View Post
    This is one everyone probably already knows but.........

Take a tape measurer and measure out along your fishing rod useful lengths and attach a peice of tape for quick reference. For example, where I live, a bass must be 14" in length and a northern pike must be 24" in length to be legal. So, I measure out from the end of my rod handle 14" and 24" and attach a piece of tape to my fishing rod at 14" and 24". It's a quick and easy way to tell if your fish is a "keeper" or not. It also helps in "guestimating" the size of a fish especially if you add more markers.

I wouldn't keep either species I listed normally, but in the rare occasion that I "gut-hook" a fish and I know it's a goner, I want to know that I won't get fined for keeping an undersized fish.

Then again, you Australians catch fish the size of small buses over there so this may not be altogether practical. Well, you can use it to measure your bait maybe...
    Good idea El Carpo.
    Thanks Kev also for your input. Lol

Poodroo

Good idea would be to go fishing instead of hanging around here and talking shite sometimes
    Also a great idea a heard recently and tried out ,to much of my statisfaction.Wear your jumpers as pants around the house its very comfy ,beats real pants hands down
    George
    At Heaven's gate a soldier stood,
    his story ready to tell,
    St Peter said, 'no need my son all is understood,
    Go right in cos you've already served your time in Hell'

re water restrictions: I purchased a tank last Friday (5000lt in the colour I wanted!!) and it has turned up already and it was 100$ or so cheaper than most people quoting 8-12 weeks delivery.
    So if anyone wants his details P.M me and I'll supply.....

Quote Originally Posted by manchild View Post
    Good idea would be to go fishing instead of hanging around here and talking shite sometimes

George
    Obviously someone who doesn't follow the reports Estuary section too closely.

Poodroo

When fitting gear to your boat,and you want to use Sikaflex,to seal underneath the item, if you ever want to get the item off, in the future, you are buggared.
    However, if you lay down the Sikaflex,and then a piece of gladwrap,before fitting the item,you have made a gasket.No more problems with removal.
    Just dont screw down too hard,initially,before the Sika sets.
    David