Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: smoking

Re: smoking

heres my two bobs worth....

i smoked and i drank ...ONCE..

I DO NEITHER NOW AND ALSO GIVE AWAY THE "other" because that can cost u more that smoking and drinking put together ...

I DO NOT have any issues with them that smoke # and good luck to all of them ..
    i think they have got the raw end of the stick....

i believe and always will ... pubs are meeting places for the workers so they can get together and have a drink and a smoke and talk about the sheilas....

to solve the problem was easy ....

keep the pubs for us workers and a place where we could go to have a drink and a smoke and if u go ..u knew that was going to be the case ...

the other TRAVENS.... where all the " others " can meet and when u go ..u know there is no smoking ... and talk about the weather or what ever .....

thats what i think... snappa
    "whats the time"

hardb8

6-5-2003.My Father John Charles Willcox passed away at the age of 59.

He smoked form 14 years of age till his second last day.He went from a stong man,A Plumber who done all aspects of the trade to being weak as a kitten in a matter of about 6 months.I had to help him do everything in the end,He didn't like it as he was a very proud and self sufficient man,But had no choice.

I stayed at the hospital for a week straight and held his hand as he took his last breath.Tears rolled down my face as I left the hospital,I then sat outside in the rain alone and it all came out.Tears roll down my face as I write these words.I miss him dearly.

He died of lung cancer.

If not for yourself,Give up for those who care about you.Your partner,Children and other family and friends.I'm sure they would all like to have you around longer.

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # Regards hardb8 # #

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #

totally agree with you hardb8, went through the same with my mum last september . I used to smoke up untill a couple of weeks ago, so this time I'm going to stick with it. Life is too short and I would like to see my kids grow up. At least I now have more money to spend on fishing gear . It's hard to give up, but I think I have nailed it on the head this time, only early I know but Im feeling a damn site better now than I have in a long time. Sorry it's a bit off topic. CHEERS woody

John_R

I once met an interesting man in my travels that lectured at Oxford university on nutrition. He had studied it down to almost molecular level. He brought up the Japanese having the lowest rate of smoking related cancers per capita but yet the highest rate of smokers per capita. He put it down to their diets though. Japanese eat bugger all dairy and fried foods. Dairy and fried stuff leave a mucus film on your throat and top of the bronchial tract which absorbs the toxins which makes it easir for them to go into your blood. Japanese people don't have the mucus so the toxins go in and come out. That was the basis of one of his many theories that he gets invited to lecture about.

Regarding smoking and fishing my own opinion has always been this. TAKE IT UP, TAKE IT UP, TAKE IT UP! Then put my name on your will and hurry up and die. More fish for me.

When I was a single man I used to have a similar theory about male homosexuality.

its hard to admit but .....SNAPPA..i totally agree with you

themooks,

Everyone has mucous - it is the lungs cleaning system. #Look at all the garbage in the air we breathe every day - it has to be eliminated somehow otherwise your lungs would look like that pig lung soaked in tar that features on cigarette packs these days even if you don't smoke.

Interesting theory though - wonder who pays him? Some american drug company?

Hardb8 - tragic situation, deepest condolences. #Hate to say it mate, but are you 100% sure that this was caused solely by smoking? #It is an easy conclusion to jump to - even the doctors do it. #Very scary scenario when doctors jump to conclusions, but they too are human.

As a plumber he may have had increased exposure to Radon, a radioactive particle found in soil that has been scientifically proven to promote cancers.

There are also a number of viruses scientifically proven to cause certain cancers. #And lastly some people are predisposed through their DNA.

So the answer is nobody knows for sure what caused it.

Ask your doctor.

So make up your own mind and choose your own path.

Just be aware that there is a huge amount of junk science out there - presented
    as fact, that makes it very difficult to weigh the risks. #All started because some people cannot stand to see others enjoying life and they don't like the smell of tobacco. #It #then took off with drug company funding to the ludicrous crescendo it has reached today. #Lots of charlatan researchers have become very rich and you and I have paid for it.

This same technique (choose the result we want and then make the data fit) is now being used extensively by the greenies against fishing. #You can't fight it with logic or reason. #Make the most of your fishing opportunities for their days are very numbered.

They also have alcohol in their sights - but it is a bit harder because everyone remembers what happened during prohibition.

These guys are a bigger threat to our way of life than Osama I reckon.

Regards

John

Cam, you posed this question, " Its a user pays world, so do you think that non-smokers should foot the bill for your health care later in life?
    Hard to believe but i'm a taxpayer as well, as for taxpayers footing the bill on people who get sick, or outrageous political advertising screaming 'vote for me'
    none of us get a real say in where it gets wasted. I also pay a hefty tax to smoke, the government makes a mint on smoking and smokers, so maybe they should put that aside for if i ever get sick, just so i don't inconvenience you or anyone else that might be toying with poorly thought out questions.

Well said Green, you are right, your smokers tax probably doesn't all go to the Health Care System. A lot of your investment would be spent on advertising, education and public awareness activity costs associated with the anti-smoking campaign. Another thank-you for footing the bill for this as I would hate to think how much that 'QUIT' advertisement on TV costs.

John_R, you didn't work for 'British American Tobacco' in the 50's did you ?

Yes, I too lost my father when I was 12 and he 51 to the preventable disease known as smoking.

Give up for your children, they deserve parents.

Regards Cameron.

Harb8,

I wasn't going to post anymore as I've already stated my opinion, but I had a lump in my throat after reading your comment.

I lost a very close family member only a matter of weeks ago, and it broke my heart...... what a shameful waste of life, when it's preventable.

I've already said this before, but call me selfish, I don't like it when people I care for die from smoking. Call me strange!!

Hi Mark,

I read the same study as you, it also went on to point out that the female Japanese population had one of the lowest breast cancer rates in the world, but that changed for Japanese females living in western countries, eating western diets. Their breast cancer rates increased to what was considered average for that particular country, which was the usa BTW. It went on to suggest one of the factors "may be" diet, ie- low dairy/high fish. Interesting I thought. Say Hi to Terri for me.

John R,

You believe what you want...."just be aware that there is a huge amount of junk science out there"..... works for you!!!

Just remember, it's all fun and games until the Radon gets ya!!

roz
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

holly smoke !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sharks alive .................................................. ..

"whats the time"

haha just give up smoking all together aint good for ya

I cannot for the life of me understand why people pick on smokers.
    All the the crap that has been said about smoking causing cancer and non smokers have to pay for it in my opinion is bullshit.
    What about all the other so called reasons being put around [ bacon and eggs, burnt toast ,sex,working places, certain types of paints,electricity poles out side your home and the list goes on.
    Question [plastic bags] think about that one and all the foods that are wrapped in them.
    My Father died of a massive heart attack age 57 never smoked .
    My mother died from Luekeamia aged 68 never smoked.
    In my opinion they know what causes it but there is to much money involved to admit it.
    Troy

A study has found, that if you have the defective gene in your DNA,
    you can suround your self in bubble wrap, drink pure water, eat pure
    food, and all the fresh air you can get, and it wont make any differnce.
    If you have the gene that makes cancer grow, your a ticking time bomb,
    and there,s nothing you can do about.

signed tunaman