Thread: witches hat prat

witches hat prat

could someone confirm how to bait a dilly.
    Thanks
    Neil

Re: witches hat prat

there should be a string/cord across the centre of the round frame, usually has a loop knot in it, just tie your bait to this and throw it in, or what I do is have a large snap swivel with the baits attached to it, and just clip them on and when finished, unclip and put in a bucket, when you get home put bucket and baits in freezer (not in the house freezer) and next time you go out, baits already to go, I use them twice usually before making up some new fresh ones.

Hi imagineer
    another good idea is gutter guard and make your own bait keep or you can buy them pre-made from tackle stores the other idea as stated above and use s/s wire or fishing line to tie bait to loop hope this helps

Cheers
    Steve

Also an easy option is getting one of those onion/orange type bags and making bait keeps out of them. Their ok fo sand/blueswimmer craps but if going for muddies they often need repairs.
    Why is all the good weather around on weekdays?

the dillies are a very cheap and effective tool for catching sandies, but as RCG008 says, keep them away from muddies. A muddie will shred a dilly in minutes, I have replaced many a net. Stick to the deeper cleaner water where sandies hang and you'll be OK, check them every half hour.

many thanks guys I appreciate the help

Regards
    Neil

Be careful with the gutter guard as it connects very easily to the mesh and tangles and fouls your dillie. Go to your local tackle store and get a few bait hooks and poke it thorugh bait if it allows.

Good luck and let us all know how you go.