Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fish kills spear-fishing diver

Re: Fish kills spear-fishing diver

I just read the article. Same as steve and Brocky. Sorry guys but sh!t happens. Truly. Steve: Freak accident and sad loss. Brocky: Driver error and another sad loss. The florida guy: didnt know him. Not a great aussie. Personally I dont give a sh!t. Funny article about a very smart fish. Read carefull this bit.

"It looks like the fish wrapped the line attached to the spear around the victim's wrist. The fish then went into a hole in a coral rock, effectively pinning the man to the bottom of the ocean," Detective Coleman said in a news release.

Now thats a bloody intelligent fish and this fella shouldnt have been messin with it. Honestly, why mess with a fish that knows how to hog tie ya?

NEWBY
    I CAME INTO THIS WORLD KICKING, SCREAMING AND COVERED IN SOMEONE ELSES BLOOD. I HAVE NO PROBLEM GOING OUT THE SAME WAY.
    NEWBY T.G.

Good one Newby

There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.

so is the fish o,k?

Good point about the knife Hoges, a bit more experience may have seen him carrying one, which may well have saved his life.
    I like a bit of spearing myself. My self-imposed code of practice, which I have also taught my son to use, is don't shoot a fish if your shot won't kill it, and dont kill what you won't eat. As such we never shoot anything over 10kg. We spear in broken reef to 8mtres, but nothing we take would have the brute strength to drown us like happened to this lad.
    We've done a bit of spearing and have learned not to attempt to take the big fish, perhaps this guy was only a novice. Large fish can be suprisingly strong!Sad for his family, thats for sure.
    Cheers.

Well said NigelR, despite the previous posts attacking most member's integrity and sincerity towards human life, you have summed it up nicely. Mutual respect in that you don't just spear for the fun or bragging rights, have a knife handy in case you do get tangled up, and only take what you need, which is the golden rule in all fishinig really

How the context of this thread went off on a tangent about the late Steve Irwin and Peter Brock defies my logic.. but each to their own I say

This spear dude didn't follow the unwritten laws and did not let common sense prevail, and unfortunately paid a very high price

If men are from Mars, and women are from Venus, politicians must be from uranus ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtysanchez
    How the context of this thread went off on a tangent about the late Steve Irwin and Peter Brock defies my logic.. but each to their own I say
    Dirty, I was giving analogies of what we all do with our lives and the risks associated. They lived and died doing what they loved and I am saying it is only the ones close to us IE Aussies, that I give a damn about. AND he still shouldnt have messed with a fish that was expert in the art of tying knots.
    I CAME INTO THIS WORLD KICKING, SCREAMING AND COVERED IN SOMEONE ELSES BLOOD. I HAVE NO PROBLEM GOING OUT THE SAME WAY.
    NEWBY T.G.

Newby, your'e right mate, I wasn't having a go at you in particular, so pls don't take any offence from my comments.. the other bloke who seemed to be an opinion on how we all felt about Steve / Peter's deaths got up my nose a bit.

Have a good day
    If men are from Mars, and women are from Venus, politicians must be from uranus ?

fishflogger92

was it a queensland grouper

Quote Originally Posted by johnlikes2fish
    Nice attitude considering a bloke has died, I wonder if the same cosiderate attitude was given to Steve Irwin and Peter Brock both of whom also did dangerous/stupid things. If you were strangled by a strong handline that got wrapped around your neck while hooked up to a groper or any other large fish should we laugh at your death.

I agree somewhat, its inconsiderate and down right rude. The guy is dead and deserve's some respect as such.

An act of stupidity that results in death doesnt opens the gates for all and sundry to run off at the mouth. A little consideration and sympathy perhaps would be more fitting, if not then why say anything.

I and no one I know would tolerate it, if it was our own loved that passed away, no matter what the cause.

The guy has paid the ultimate price.

nah, this is a qld groper, juvenile 75 cm, c&r susan river jan '06

Doesnt the article say its a Goliath Groper ?

Just not sure where people are getting the Qld Groper mixed up in this ?

the_baker

So now theres a grouper lose with a spear gun

Quote Originally Posted by the baker
    So now theres a grouper lose with a spear gun #
    and apparently a copy of Geoff Wilson's book too. Be afraid, be very afraid!

hussy

personally i think if they go by out by some weird way then its open slather on them, its not that we dont feel sorry for them its just the way we australians are . i know that when the guy who castnets off the bribie bridge finally lands one in a boat and ripps his arm off ,or ends up as crab bait in the passage i will have a good laugh about it,its just the way it is . hubby

Everyone has done something stupid on the spur of the moment and most of us get away with it-some don't and like this guy pay the price for it-just plain unlucky that's all like the guy who got speared by a barracuda he had hooked up,sometimes you gotta laugh! thats just one way of dealing with facing our own mortality.
    It is amazing to me how many people get emotional and shed tears about people they have never met or known ie Irwin/brocky.Just demonstrates the power of television and the influence the media has on some people.The best example of this power was the princess Di circus,where a spoiled rotten silvertailed sheila married royalty,divorced,romped around the world in pure oppulence jumping in and out of high society's bedrooms willy nilly,was showered in money,clothes,jewellery and admiration from every corner of the world and repaid all of this good fortune by being miserable.Tv captured it all and millions wept openly when she died speeding thru Paris with her billionaire boyfriend!.Call me cynical but there are plenty of unsung heroes around the world doing things to help us all and dedicating their lives to the betterment of humanity who get precious little acknowledgment yet do more for us all than all the celebrities combined do in a lifetime.Save your tears for your own family and friends,not some stranger on tv who you didn't even know.