Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who makes a check List?

Who makes a check List?

Hello all,

For me, having that "perfect" fishing trip once in a while does not only depend on how good the weather is or how well prepared the boat is. Lately, some annoying forgetfulness on my part has been creeping into what should have been a good trip, so I am going to have to start putting pen to paper and writing everything down before I head out, so to ensure I have not forgotten anything. One time I got all the way out to Maroon Dam to find I forgot to bolt the sounder in!!

Last few trips I have forgotten

** Sunscreen
    ** Sunglasses
    ** Spare life jacket for additional crew member ( just as well we stayed afloat that day and were not checked by the local police)
    ** New packets of plastics I had recently purchased, but didn't take them with me!!

My family will suggest to have tests for Alzimers done, but I am sure I don't quite need that yet

I wonder how everyone else goes with this sort of stuff??

Scalem

Re: Who makes a check List?

I think its the excitement of going, Have gone out to mud and forgotten the battery for the sounder and lights that i put on charge the night before, Another time i was going out to mud to stay the night fishing i got there threw the anchor out before i realized that there was no rope attached to it, the d;shakle must had rattled itself loose onthe way back from airlie beach the week before, so there went my night out >

Ever since forgetting the ice of all things during a summer trip offshore and the bait on another trip I now have a permanent list of essentials.

Could be that I am a little bit OCD but that list is now laminated and items are crossed off one by one with a white board marker. Next thing will be that I forget my list one day lol.

Cheers
    Paul
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

A checklist is a real good idea, MSQ even have some printed ones made up in notebook form.
    We generally try to keep all the essential stuff on-board and together at all times, other gear is stored in Nally bins and transferred to and from the boat when needed.

Ticking off a checklist and having an established pre-departure routine makes sense, and makes for safer boating and fishing.

regards
    Steve.

ps. don't forget the first-aid kit.

My wife makes lists for me to read > > >
    Then I transfer it to the end of my list of things to do
    Tight lines <*)(((((((((><

My trick is to ready the boat with everything except the consumables
    at the completion of cleaning it.
    When I unload the boat to clean it I lay everything out on the grass in front of the garage, clean the boat/motor etc, and then begin to clean the laid out gear.
    As I clean it (and dry it in some cases!) it gets put back onboard in it's place. This way I'm ready to go except for throwing the esky(s) in!
    I've found the easiest way to consistently remember something is to make it habit! (Ever patted your pockets to ensure keys/wallet/phone etc were accounted for?)
    Good habits can not only make trips more pleasant, but also safer.
    Another habit I have fallen into is checking the trailer lights, bilge pump operation, battery charge state onboard lights, fuel etc at the end of the day when I'm cleaning (as I usually have the time to conduct minor repairs at that stage)
    I carry out these same checks before I leave on the next trip with the addition of making sure the bung is in good condition and IN!

My motto?? Better to be fishing than wishing!
    Jason

hi scalem
    yes most sensible boaties will always make a check list mine starts
    from
    3 batteries charged before leaving home during the week and check for faults

6 Life jackets and flares depends on whether inside or outside but still carry both sets and always check dates have this marked inside home for renewals 2 V sheets, 2 mirrors

check anchors, chains and ropes that u bolts are secure

lights with spare bulbs and fuses, spare wire and connections

tool box spanners, plug sockets and wrench, 5 screw drivers, 3 piliers, 12 volt meter

place bung in before leaving home

check marine radios, fish finders, G.P.S and check antennas

2 torches

and i always start motor before leaving home

and i always let the boss no where i am going and if i change spots E.T calls home but i also let V.M.R know where i am going or if i change locations outside of there boundaries

now a days i always carry 2 mobile phones in case i drop one over the side or the battery kicks it

the other thing i always do is make sure i have enough water (3ltr p/p) on board for eveyone then i go through to make sure that food, coffee is enough for all along with cooking gear

Cheers
    Steve

I guess i have more of check list in my head scalem. Have never written it down and had a whiteboard marker in hand, however when you do forget things it wouldnt seem like a bad idea at all. Before leaving home and launching the boat in the water i stop for 30 seconds and THINK! Hasnt stopped me leaving bungs out, torches at home, no fuel etc etc etc tho!

Mick

Sunscreen 4 me about 50% of the time
    Cheers

Steven

Jason T has got it, if I want to go its only a block of ice & bait an i'm loaded,

I always have a checklist! but I still always manage to forget something!

Janine

thats the deckys job

Quote Originally Posted by Scalem

My family will suggest to have tests for Alzimers done, but I am sure I don't quite need that yet

I wonder how everyone else goes with this sort of stuff??

Scalem
    I haven't begun to worry about you yet but when you start heading out and are close to Mud and realize you forgot your deckie there will be cause for concern.

Poodroo

He who aims at nothing is sure to hit it.

Great_White

Brian I usually make a list just like Santa (He's making a list and checking it twice) that way I don't forget anything

Peter #

finga64

Brian, mate!!!
    Your just too bloody old. Can you even remember your wifes name all the time??? It must nearly be time to put the kimbies back on again I recon.
    Aah, just kidding matey
    You've been to Evans right. Did you look on the wall of the shed and see 3 foolscap pages of stuff that's been laminated with a whiteboard marker hanging there as well??
    1 page for safety gear for the ocean
    1 page for safety gear for the river
    1 page of necessary essentials like bait, ice, rods, muselli bars, mum's tomatoe and cheese SAO's. You know all the important stuff.
    When the stuff is checked it crossed off the list. #
    I have similar list here posted to the tool box just so old stupid me doesn't forget.
    Cheers matey
    Scott
    P.S. What would you have done if the day you forgot the jacket you needed it. Personally I would have turned around and gone and got another from the nearest shop.