Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: water restrictions: the stupidity

Re: water restrictions: the stupidity

steve..and who will pay for the pipleine and pumps etc..I did some quick figures on another post...about 1.2 billion bucks just for the pumps and motors..it will never happen.

Gas needs a much smaller pipe than water therefore the price is much cheaper..water is also harder to pump than gas.

finga64

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead
    steve..and who will pay for the pipleine and pumps etc..I did some quick figures on another post...about 1.2 billion bucks just for the pumps and motors..it will never happen.

Gas needs a much smaller pipe than water therefore the price is much cheaper..water is also harder to pump than gas.
    Why do you need pumps?? It all down hill isn't it???

Anybody been to the Snowies and seen the pumps they use??

They can drain a lake 4 times the size of Sydney Harbour through the turbines in peak periods of demand then use pumps to pump all the water back up overnight. One Hydro station (No.4) I saw had 6 or 8 turbines. The pipe into each turbine was 18' dia if I remember right and through each gate valve in 1 second enough water went through to fill a bath for a person for 36 years. It was a while ago when I was there so hopefully my memory isn't too far out but the figures are prity close.

There's a pipe from Adelaide to Alice for water isn't there?? But I think it's only 3 or 4' dia.

But there aren't near as many people in Alice either so who knows what size pipe you'd need to supply even 10% of Brisbane or SE QLD. The friction in the pipe is the biggest worry when trying to pump lots of water through a too little pipe.

Hi pinhead as finga has stated
    yes finga there is one from adelaide to the alice

pinhead where beattie is planning to place the dams it is once again lacking in the rain fall like every where else

the most rain falls in the top end and as for your figures you may be right but if the lines are laid at the same time as the gas then there is a saving we need to look into the future now and i am talking not 10 - 20 yrs but 50yrs from now most of us will not be around then but our children and grand-children will be

as for your figures it is going to cost nearly that just for the dams beattie is looking at putting in place at the Mary river/travernston buy the time he buy's propertys then starts to build the dams and this is in between the protest the court injunctions it will be more viable and less costly in the end and will not be putting people out of homes and lively hoods

Cheers
    Steve

Lifestyle

RE- digging the dams out so they are deeper and hold more water. whenit
    does rain all the slit will end up in the water killing fish and makeing the water unfit for drinking. The only way to go is recycling and that dosn't mean grey water only but the water from our town drinking water. The treatment plants are large filtration plants like the pool set up. The back wash water should be sent back to the dams. As for sewerage water . It ends up on our sports feilds now and is treated to the epas standards so it goes into our rivers so why no send it to our dams. From the to sewerage plants in the pine shire it would be less than 15km to the north pine dam. But what ever we do it is now to late if we don't get rain this summer. Think- Iherd it takes 4 ltrs of water to make 1 ltr of beer .

Wet Summer ahead???

Just saw on ch. 7 news,

Hayden Walker(long range forecaster) reckons the sun is in a very active phase and this summer's gonna be a wet one with torrential rains and big storms.

Place your bets everyone!

Here's hoping, the Falcon hasn't had a wash since March and we've got a full dam here on the coast!

Mick.
    Check out my boat for sale in the classifieds

• 469 Stacer open Seahorse/Nomad
    • 50hp 4 stroke tiller Mercury
    • Heaps of extras, in top condition
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

my bit,
    i live in noosa shire but hafta vote in gympie electorate. get wasted paper from the govt about how they are going to solve my alleged water crisis, i got no reticulated water & the chance of getting it in twice my lifespan is remote, if it doesn't rain , i feel the effects very harshly. i don't hafta worry about emptying a pool as i'll never have enough water to fill one, i gotta very dirty car & can't grow lawn coz i can't afford to waste the water. lake mcdonald, part of noosa shire storage system is 15 mins from my place, so building a dam 20 mins from me is gunna do bugga all.
    graeme

finga64

Quote Originally Posted by Lifestyle
    Think- Iherd it takes 4 ltrs of water to make 1 ltr of beer . #
    So why is water nearly the same price as beer mmmm beautiful beer.
    That is one reason why I refuse to buy bottled water. If I have the spend money on a drink I want my monies worth even if "the extras" are artificial sweetners, flavours and colours.
    A few weeks ago I was driving up from Sydney and my brother and I wanted/needed a drink. He wanted water - he got Staminade because 2 bottles of Staminade was the same price as 1 similar sized bottle of water. This really bugs me >

the first thing to do to fix any water crisis is to get the farmers to grow crops suitable for the climatic condition, stop the convntion system of irigating. You only have to look at how screwed up the poor old murrey river is.
    cheers
    blaze

Re: Wet Summer ahead???

Hayden Walker must think we all have alzheimers because I recall him saying the same thing for last year which didn't happen. I think if he sticks to his guns and keeps the same predictions going for the next few years then when we get the big storms and torrential rains everyone will say "Gee that Hayden Walker really knows his stuff!"

Poodroo

He who aims at nothing is sure to hit it.

The_Walrus

I'll beleive it when it happens.

Luc

Great_White

I hope he is right for a change, it would be good to have green grass again.

Peter

I think we'll all be hoping!

Strange didn't the long range weather forecasters Govt type predict another El Nino.

They are as about as much use as a sponge and bucket without the water.

Lived on the land for years and if you planted your crops on what weather forecaster said you would soon go broke.

Should Pay WEATHER FORECASTER and POLITICIANS on a performance basis.

That way they would owe us money.

Trev
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

Great Idea!!!

Wear_the_fox_hat

Dams are proven NOT to be a reliable source of water, no matter how big the dams are. People in the bush have survived for many years now, only with tanks. Industry should only use recycled water & should pay for the set up of this infrastructure. Beattie is going to flood/decimate 1,000 farms/businesses to satisfy the thirst & wastage of people who think water only comes out of a tap. Why not flood the Brisbane valley? Heaps of room & catchment there.

Go figure.

WTFH