Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Weird Piscatorial moments

Weird Piscatorial moments

Thought I'd start a thread about weird fishing moments.......

Reading the thread about Newstead House fishing reminded me of living in Maroochydore back in the mid-80's.
    I lived in Banyandah Towers for about 12 months and worked up on Beach Rd. I used to walk or cycle to work and pass the tackle shop on Aerodrome Rd on the way.
    I called in one lunch hour and bought a nice shiny slice lure of about 4oz. I went back home and put it on the table and proceeded to make lunch. I couldn't resist trying the lure so I grabbed my light surf rod, (one I actually use for bream and whiting from the beach) and had a couple of casts from the jetty by the pool at the towers. Swing back, cast ....plop. yep casts great, feels good on the retrieve...bang what the*7^%...I had hooked a nice 2kg chopper tailor. I dined well that evening let me tell you and to this day, that'd be my strangest fishy moment. Pity I was too poor to own a camera back then because I needed a photo to prove to the boss and my workmates I actually got a fish

Re: Weird Piscatorial moments

I had the cr#p scared out of me one night at bribie.
    I was anchored up near the mouth of ningi creek and had been sitting there for about an hour. It was well after midnight, and there was no moon. The wind was non-existent and the stillness and quiet was just beautiful..
    I was starting to doze, and decided that wouldn't be good, so decided to reach out and splash some water on my face...
    I turned in my seat to lean over, and just as I was extending my hand towards the water a turtle surfaced for a breath about a metre away!
    Talk about jump! I swear at one point not a single part of my body was touching the boat!

It's a bit freaky when you can hear nothing and see bugger all and something like that happens! :-)

Was able to laugh about it once my heart decided to beat again!

Jason

Daniel_Trenfield

I was flicking poppers on 2kg line at Munna Point bridge recently.

Went for a bit much on a cast & snapped the line, while my trusty $2 popper flew into the sunset.

Ten minutes later, after dark, my mate retreives it for me - He'd hooked it with his treble through one of my split rings.

What are the chances???

I was fishing at tallebugera creek a few years ago, and hooked a big stingray on light tackle, got it on to the shore, and as well as my line, there was another hook in it, and attatched to the hook was line, rod and reel.
    let it go, and walked back downstream to my car with my newly aquired tackle, and my son told me the bloke fishing next to him had his rod dragged in to the creek by a big fish, so i asked the bloke what type of ron n reel it was and sure enough, it was the one that was attatched to the stingray.
    Gave it back to him and he was rapt, must have been a hungry fish to take my bait whilst dragging a rod and reel behind it eh?

Loco_Pez

I have a similar story. I was fishing a spot called Julieanne which is a rock fishing spot in the eastern suburbs back in Sydney. I had my 12ft rod & alvey in a rod hole at the edge of the ledge when a big wave came over & then sucked back taking rod & reel with it.

About 2 hours later this guy comes walking along the rocks with my rod & reel. "Oi ! Where'd you get that, it's mine" I yelled & promptly went over & took it off him. He was a bit shocked & said he caught it fishing 200m down the rocks. Fortunately I hadn't given him time to think about refusing to give it back, finders keepers & all so I got my gear back.

4X4 Frog..... I was sure that story was heading the way of you not being able to wait to try out your new lure so you cast it from the balcony of banyanda towers..... I just had this image of some guy fishing from the 10th floor.....

A couple years back...

I was on holiday with my brother and a few mates... We had just finished a days fishing...

We got some nice fish... and my brother got his PB trev in the Noosa river...

He was quite excited and when we got back up in the noosa resort he lit up a sparkler and threw one from the fourth floor into the river! He went for another... and hit the top dry part of a large palm tree and lit the whole thing on fire...

The resort managers weren't too impressed!

Daz

a few years back a mate lost his specks overboard on a reef south of ballina
    went back the next weekend and caught them !!!!!!!
    unbelievable....

a mate and i were on the reef, we were only catching those little bait thieves and my mates line went tight, he hauled in a little stripey(on the hook) and about two feet back up the line was a nice coral trout secured with only the line wrapped around his jaw, it was only wrapped around once. only decent fish we caught all day.

lost a lure in a river and found it about 1km down stream caught on a oyster bout a week later

Loco_Pez

It's not weird but gotta tell ya about my bro in law. Every time we went out rock fishing we would wait till he wasn't looking and yell "Hey, your rod !" & he would run over & pick it up & feel for a bite or strike the imaginary fish. Other times we would pull his line so the ratchet went off & he would do the same only with more excitement. It's amazing how many times you can suck people into this & it makes me feel guilty . . . until the laughing takes over.

I just about sh*t myself once when I was fishing. I was standing in shallow water on a calm beach, bait fishing for bream when suddenly a wobbegong swam straight over the top of my feet . He actually brushed my legs with the tassle-like threads on the side of his body. I was still for the 2 or 3 seconds it took him to swim over the top of my feet and then i finally remembered to breath again a few seconds later. I know they're hardly a deadly fish, but it scared the life out of me at the time.
    Joel
    Fishing for the thrill, not for the kill

Another,

I was casting slugs to a massive school of mack tuna...

I hooked one and another got its tail tangled around the main line...

I thought it was a bloody strange fish the way it was fighting until I found out what had happened...

Daz

I was snorkelling over at Tangalooma jetty some time ago. Quite a way out I came across a jenny sandcrab with a rather large buck on top, apparently going for it. Well the jenny was half in the sand and didn't really look like much of a blue swimmer, actually on closer inspection it was rather encrusted in algae and had algae coming off it's eyes as well as a barnacle on the shell. Thinking this was rather weird I had to have a closer inspection and prod them. To my amazement they had been caught up in fishing line and they were almost immobile. I had no idea how long they would have been together. Well there was only one thing to do. I freed them. The buck was for dinner that night. In the morning I felt guilty that I had release the poor female which was still kicking, but not in a way it could defend itself out there.

bidkev

First time at Amity pier (only been in Oz 6 months) we were watching a school of what I think were large tuna smashing up the bait. They were leaping from the water and gulls were circling picking up the smashed baitfish. All that ocean and all that sky and a tuna smashes into a gull. The gull dropped lifeless onto the water!

kev