Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Venture Wreck to be removed.

Re: Cherry Venture Wreck to be removed.

I also listened to the reported incident of asbestos, why now after thirty years. I can remember seeing the stuff and wondering what it was, I was told by an adult in no uncertain terms not to touch the stuff, and that was in the early eighties!!! If it is dangerous, remove it. But you have to wonder why now after so long.

If it was a Australian ship, I could see the historical value, and maybe it could be cleaned up and serve as a reminder from days gone past.
    But its not. Its dangerous and a ugly scar to our coast line.

It would be better at the bottem of the sea.

signed tunaman

Oh well, another beach icon to disappear.

I remember climbing all over the engine rooms, and climbing the stack as a kid. We have photos to show our kids, but it will be missed as a marker point on the beach.

And what will the F111s use as a turning point now during the exercises.

Lets hope the Mahino isn't next.

Harry
    I love the sound of reels screaming in the morning

I can see all points (including tunaman). I haven't been up there to see it, hope to take the kids up before it is gone.

I do hope that they use it for something good as tunaman suggests. Create an artificial reef with it. That way divers and fisherman can still benefit. What a bait ground it would make.

Brett

May 2006 Order New Hilux - June 2006 Order ARB & Other Goodies - August 2006 Organise fitting of ARB & Other Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Delivery of New Hilux with Goodies - 2nd September 2006 Break Goodies - 3rd September 2006 Use Angle Grinder to Modify New Goodies - 4th July 2007 BEND ARB rear protection bar (Big Rocks) - 31st July 2007 Notice cracked welds in the ute tub. TWIST!! - September 2007 Bend Alloy Side Steps - Feb 2008 Install steel side steps - March 2008 Bend Steel steps & Punture Diff Lock Air Line

It would have made a great artifical reef years ago when it was still able to be floated.i fear the boat has sailed () with respect to getting it out to a viable position to use as a reef. The logistics involved in getting it aboard something capable of moving it would triple the cost IMHO.

Here's a pic of a blown up photo we have on the wall, taken by a photographer from a local paper in Gympie just after she ran aground.

Slient

Cherry Venture was an icon at Double Island and we will miss it...

for those of you who have been up there recently and seen it,,,,,

an artificial reef its not going to be,,,,,,,

its been reduced to nothing but a pile of twisted,, and cut up scrap metal,,,,

with the exposed asbestos issue now????????

looks like its gunna become landfill
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

Great pic Canoedle! T'was an awesome looking vessel in her day.

I understand the reasons and possibly it is time for it to be removed.

Just the same though. It is an Icon and it will be a shame to see it go.

Louis

I hope my memory serves me correctly, I think a bloke called Joe Engwirda a local salvage diver who came to fame when he rescued the crew of a upturned barge after it capsized in Moreton Bay,( He dived into the upturned ship and brought them out one at a time). bought the wreck just after she ran aground and spent a long time and $$$$$ trying to salvage it, and almost succeeded. He dredge a channel out to sea and used two big tugs to try and skulldrag it off the beach on a high tide, but could not keep the channel open long enough.

Its a shame it has to be removed as its a wonderful part of our local history Involving, heroes, feats of dareing,huge gambles, protracted efforts.
    A real aussie battlers tale. would make a good short film.

S.S.

Unfortunately people have to be protected from their own stupidity in this day and age. Barriers and signs don't work.... if it doesn't work the next best thing is to remove it.

Damn..... where's the ice-cream bloke going to hang out now?

Maybe someone should get one of those illegal fishing boats and run it aground to take it's place.

Dave.
    Avast ye matey!

Sportfish_5

Good pic Greg - My olds have a few like that and I also remember going to see it as a kid when they were trying to get it off with the tugs.

Time has taken it's toll on her and there really is not that much of interest to see now

Cheers

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by LeeannP
    Unfortunately people have to be protected from their own stupidity in this day and age. # # # Barriers and signs don't work.... if it doesn't work the next best thing is to remove it. # #

Damn..... where's the ice-cream bloke going to hang out now?

# #
    good point,,, the article in the SCD stated 30 years he plugged that spot,,,, i know he was there on my first trip,, and became an absolute icon in his own right,,

i wonder if there's any pics of him about when he first started????

choppa

can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE