Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: I remember when . . . .

I remember when . . . .

From another thread, got me thinking we all have those "I remember when . . . ." sayings which now hold true for us. #

For example #. . . .

I remember when I could catch luderick off the jetties in front of the Grand Hotel in the Broadwater.

I also remember when I used to pay out on people who had sayings whcih began with 'I remember when" #

What's an 'I remember when' saying which now holds true for you?

You say fish, I say yes please.

Re: I remember when . . . .

I remember when we used to catch mud crabs on handlines in the pine river we considered them a pest as we were trying to catch fish.
    Pete

I remember when 20 tonnes of veggie waste floated down my local river every day
    also when they dumped tonnes of fish waste off the end of the local wharf
    At the time there were lots of fish because of the local constant supply of burley but
    I like it better now that its cleaner
    Some things are good when we "remember when" but we must also remember the bad old days where we as a nation have a lot to answer to
    just some thoughts on remember when
    cheers
    blaze

finga64

I remember when there was a blood line at Byron Bay.
    I remember carrying the thunderbox tin down the hill to empty it and laughing at my little brother when he tripped #
    I remember carrying the hotwater in for a bath from a copper
    I remember cutting the chips and wood for the copper
    I remember lollies 3 for a cent
    I remember a middy or pot of beer for 15c
    I remember fuel at 23c/l
    I remember not locking the front door...ever
    I remember my dad buying a new HQ Holden
    I remember no high rises at Noosa
    I remember milk at school
    I don't always remember what I had for lunch yesterday
    gees I'm an old bastard #

bidkev

I remember when I was always bloody freezing but at least I caught a feed:

http://www.ausfish.com.au/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1085796273/0

..........I also remember when I contributed to declining fish stocks and I also remember a copper entering the cell and saying, "you'll be older and wiser one day kid" ......don't think he was talking about me becoming conservation minded though

kev

I remember when you caught a barge to get to Bribie ,and the little fat guy who used to direct the cars onto the barge. (he was my uncle)

I remember a single lane bridge at coomera and 4 hour waits to cross in the summer heat and cars boiling their radiators on the sides of the road.

I remember when a party meant a 10 gallon keg (Wood) on the verandah and a butchers tub of prawns because that was the CHEAPEST way to feed a big crowd.

I remember when I was 8 years old (1982), fishing with my dad on
    a wood boat......
    When I caught something, I reel it up till my dad said "Oh yeah, you've caught a shovel nose shark" Which I thought it was a shark made me throw the rod/reel into water, my dad had to grab it and reel it up....... which was a shovel nose shark
    I've not caught those sharks since 1982 till 2005
    2006 I've caught 3 shovel nose sharks & 2 babies sharks
    Hopefully not happen in next those 23 years time of catching those sharks
    Happy life of fishing,
    favourite_whiting

cripes..all a mob of old buggers on here...where are the young folk.

I remember when I had to hang around boat ramps to find out who was catching what & when & where. That was only last month before discovered ausfish. From a youngish bugger who doesent remember the good old days.

Marshy

I remember when I used to walk into the kill room at the Brisbane abattoirs and hold an empty tin can under the throat of whatever beast they just killed. Wait till the blood congealed then we would sit under the wharf at the front and fish for mullet with blood as bait.

I remember jagging for catties at the same spot with huge trebles on 80lb hand lines.

I remember catching eels in Bulimba Ck and cooking them over a fire in the back yard.

And for the real oldies - I remember walking home from Buranda Boys to Carina to save the 3d tram fare for lollies.

rtranter

Quote Originally Posted by finga
    I remember when there was a blood line at Byron Bay.
    I remember carrying the thunderbox tin down the hill to empty it and laughing at my little brother when he tripped #
    I remember carrying the hotwater in for a bath from a copper
    I remember cutting the chips and wood for the copper
    I remember lollies 3 for a cent
    I remember a middy or pot of beer for 15c
    I remember fuel at 23c/l
    I remember not locking the front door...ever
    I remember my dad buying a new HQ Holden
    I remember no high rises at Noosa
    I remember milk at school
    I don't always remember what I had for lunch yesterday #
    gees I'm an old bastard #
    Not sure on the blood line at Byron but I remember the rest, except we laughed at the dunny man when he fell over with the full tin on his shoulder.
    I remember when the bread was delivered by horse and cart.
    I remember when mum shopped at the local news agent for our xmas gifts.
    Iremember when milk was delivered with 1 inch thick cream on the top.
    Fuel was 15c a litre
    I must be a bit older
    Rob

I remember when I had a full head of hair that didn't get burnt if I didn't where a hat when fishing.
    I remember when people would smile at you and ask "Ya catchin' anything?" Now they seem too afraid to ask or something.
    I remember when SP fishing was never heard of.
    I remember when a trip out on the water required going past Dave's boat hire on the sunshine coast.
    I remember when my brother and I used to say "Wish we had a boat!"

I am glad I can still say "I remember when" because as I get older and the years fly past there will come a time when I say "I can't remember!"

Poodroo

He who aims at nothing is sure to hit it.

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead
    cripes..all a mob of old buggers on here...where are the young folk.
    This is as young as it gets mate............

I remember............when I had hair

I remember........when the deckie had legs

marlinqld

Nice deckie kingtin

Quote Originally Posted by gunna
    I remember when I used to walk into the kill room at the Brisbane abattoirs and hold an empty tin can under the throat of whatever beast they just killed. #Wait till the blood congealed then we would sit under the wharf at the front and fish for mullet with blood as bait.

I remember jagging for catties at the same spot with huge trebles on 80lb hand lines.

I remember catching eels in Bulimba Ck and cooking them over a fire in the back yard.

And for the real oldies - I remember walking home from Buranda Boys to Carina to save the 3d tram fare for lollies.
    LOL gunna..the trams..we used to get the last tram home from the speedway..have no money left for the fare..look which end the conductor was at..get on the other end...then get off at the next stop and run to other end and get back on again...took the conductor a stop to get from one end to the other...we were fit by the time we got back to Carina.