Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: I remember when . . . .

Re: I remember when . . . .

and just to add
    people had families without thinking of themselves and saying we cant afford kids.
    cheers
    blaze
    ps
    I would happily go back 50 years

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead

<snip>I have a question...why does everyone seem to make out that they were "good" times?

<snip>

Looking back, kinda makes me think how "primitive" those days were compared to now....Lots more people died in the work place then

THESE ARE THE GOOD TIMES.
    My opinion too mate. I've seen some nasty industrial accidents that would never occur nowadays.

I can remember a lot of kids getting near thrashed to death by teachers........edges of rulers over their knuckles etc and some getting sent to juvenile detention where they got the crap kicked out of them. Adults with treatable mental problems simply locked away or given (without consent) ECT as I was.

If you were different in any way, your life was a misery. In retrospect, and having an autistic kid myself, I recognise some of those kids as having Aspergers Syndrome or some learning difficulty which went unrecognised by folk who simply thought a good hiding would sort them out. That is not to criticise those who handed out the thrashings..........it simply goes to illustrate, as you say, that things were primitive back then and most of those folk genuinely thought that they could "sort the kid" with a thrashing..........I think most of the older folk here will have experienced that and I find it strange that many in my age group (folk that I am familiar with anyway), recognise that sort of discipline as "primitive" whilst those who are older, in their 70's/80's, would almost to a man reply, "a good thrashing never did me any harm". I can only assume that "baby boomers" were in some way influenced by the 60's and are more liberal thinkers. Perhaps the older folk *need* to gloss over the past and look back with fondness as they subconciously think that there is little future to look forward to....I dunno

Apart from the soap in the mouth stuff mentioned, I find it strange that hardly anyone has mentioned bullying or anything else that made them miserable.........perhaps it didn't happen in Oz and despite you all being "convict class" you are actually more civilised than Pomms

Nearly all the working class kids back then (in the UK anyway) suffered from styes, boils, verrucas and worse.........they experienced pain on a daily basis and accepted it as part of life, and I think we need to recognise, that despite it's failings, and contrary to what the media indoctrinates us with, the health service (considering the pressures put on it by a much bigger population) goes from strength to strength. One of the things I love about Oz is the lack of "class division" although I don't doubt it is there to some degree and is creeping in via health care and home ownership affordability........if you were lower socio-economic class in the UK you had absolutely no access to private school or Uni back in the 50's/60's and even the national health service, hailed as a saviour, debarred many from access.

Yes, these are the good times.........no doubt about it, for me anyway.........and even if I hadn't met someone who straightened me out, and I didn't have wonderful kids, a whittley or a tinnie, I would still have a handline and my own company under the stars to fish to my hearts content...........until the coppers picked me up, that is

kev

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by blaze
    Yeh dont know pinhead
    Back then we could walk around town with our hunting gear, kids spent most of the time outside persuing a healthier life style, we could have bacon and eggs for breakie and it wasnt going to kill you. Maybe there is a lot to be said for lifestyles of today
    but
    there is no respect for elders, other peoples property, the law and we cant eat any thing cause it will kill us.
    It may have been a lot tougher back then but we were a country of people that were able to survive, dont know if we have that ability today
    cheers
    blaze
    I can relate to that Blaze, in the context of a rural lifestyle.......urban now was probably rural then, and I can't speak for life in Oz or anywhere else but in late 50's early 60's Northern UK you *had to* go mob handed or you'd get the shit kicked out of you. First it was the teddy Boys with their drainpipe trousers and brothel creeper shoes and then it was mods and rockers and later the ska and reggae beat generation. The ska were particularly nasty and spawned neo nazi organisations that saw coloureds as nothing more than someone to wipe their shoes on, preferably around the head. It seems to me that everyone back then belonged to one or the other and was in constant conflict. We think of the 60's as all peace and love but mods were kicking rocker's heads or vice versa.....us guys in the army.....even boy soldiers aged 15 like me, actively sought out "hippy trash" to give a good kicking to.........a particularly nasty era in my opinion, the only difference to today being that at least magistrates handed out sentences that deterred.

I'm with you on the family stuff............if nature gave us a sex drive to ensure survival of the population then what does the future hold if more and more folk deny that? The family is the nucleus of society as a whole and if there is less family does that equate to less nurturing and expressions of love? Without children do we (eventually) forget how to nurture and love (express emotion) and will that eventually lead to a cold, heartless, future society?...........or is it already creeping upon us......... who knows?

kev

Quote Originally Posted by kingtin

.... or you'd get the shit kicked out of you. First it was the teddy Boys with their drainpipe trousers and brothel creeper shoes # and then it was mods ....

kev

I know some mods like that

Cheers

Pete

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by Grand_Marlin
    [quote author=kingtin link=1162957969/90#92 date=1163290122]

.... or you'd get the shit kicked out of you. First it was the teddy Boys with their drainpipe trousers and brothel creeper shoes and then it was mods ....

kev

I know some mods like that

Cheers

Pete[/quote]

LMOA Pete

kev

I remember when my dad and uncle towed the corrogated iron an wood to make the hut at slipping sands after the old one got washed in.
    I remember my dad teaching me how to fish.
    I remember my gran calling me her little surfy boy.
    I remember the old out house at harvey bay when we used to stay there. Throwing saw dust in the crapper when you were done.
    I remember jelly tips.
    I remember real hamburgers.
    I remember when sex was safe and trucks were dangerous.
    I look forward to having kids and seeing what they will remember.

Dave.
    Avast ye matey!

WOT EVER HAPPENED 2 MULLBERRY TREES..

Quote Originally Posted by Al_Macka

WOT EVER HAPPENED 2 MULLBERRY #TREES..
    Got one in my back yard
    Tight lines <*)(((((((((><

Looking back, kinda makes me think how "primitive" those days were compared to now....Lots more people died in the work place then
    Yep - My Mum came from a mining family and used to tell me that when she was a kid there was not a single day in her mining town near Cloncurry in NW Qld when there was not a fatality in the mines. That town no longer exists - not even the slightest sign of it on the landscape.

Apart from the soap in the mouth stuff mentioned, I find it strange that hardly anyone has mentioned bullying or anything else that made them miserable.........perhaps it didn't happen in Oz and despite you all being "convict class" # you are actually more civilised than Pomms #

Well there is no doubt about that latter comment.

However, bullying was alive and well in my youth. I never liked being bullied when I was a kid, especially when I was a teenager, so I was in a fight at school every week. I was not much of a fighter except that I did not have much fear in that regard, nor a lot of sense either.

Nah - I agree with you, Kev, this is a golden age. We all live richer than any member of royalty ever could two hundred years ago and we can do it anonymously which makes us richer than modern day royalty as well.

I remember the old wrestlers; killer karl cox, dirty dick bulldog brower,mario milano,spiros arian,king kurtis,and brother ted.
    combat starring vic morrow,the fbi with efram zimplist junior,disneyland with walt disney as host.
    Hot chips 12cents rolled up in newspaper
    big boy lemonade 25 cents for a big bottle
    petrol 15 cents a gallon
    never saw a chinese untill i was 10
    jims corner the local wog shop

And what my dad looked like

I remember when England held the Ashes.........

Are crackers I remember staying at my grandfathers one weekend and the dog being on heat and being woken at 4am to the dog barking then an almighty bang and my grandfather yelling out now p*ss off you monrgel and then a crash and breaking class looked out the window to see the milkman jumping over the fence and running for his life when asked what that was all about he said he thought it was another dog at her a lobed a penny bunger out the window poor milkman

There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home.

megan

I remember playing outside until the street lights came on.

I remember eating sunny boys on a hot summers day.

I remember Mars Bars for 40c.

I remember fire cracker night and the big bon fires.

I say you should make the most of RIGHT NOW, 'cause in 15 years time, this will be the "good old days" when petrol was ONLY $1-00 something a litre etc.

I remember my folks always providing for us no matter how tight things got

I remember fishing cabbage tree ck as a kid in the 80's and catching something other than rays and eels

I remember when you could scrap after being provoked and not get in trouble

I remember when girls didn't taunt you for being a 'cruel' fisho

I remember when grown men seemed fair and true

I remember when sports were stil played for the love and heart of it with no money involved

I remember when qld actually had a summer

I remember getting the strap and the cain and learning a bloody quick lesson

I rememebr being bullied and doing my best to stand up to em all

i remember when winny blues costed 2.50 as a teen

I remember when it all seemed possible

I remember when i discovered the true love of my life - FISHING!!!

cuzza