Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: I remember when . . . .

marlinqld

Re: I remember when . . . .

I remember when i was 9....1967. Dad and 4 other uncles went out on another uncles old 45ft timber boat off Jervis Bay to the Joseoh banks. They came back with 2000lb of kingfish. Thats what i call a big haul......

Try and do that these days....... you would probably get hung if you could catch that many and brought them back to the ramp ..................

Mike

I remember when I had to hang around boat ramps to find out who was catching what & when & where. That was only last month before discovered ausfish. From a youngish bugger who doesent remember the good old days.

Marshy
    Marshy mate guess what. You're living in the old days. In twenty to thirty years you'll be able to say, "I remember back in the old days around 06, when you used to be allowed to go fishing."

Camo

I remember when i went to school with 3 pennies for lunch and got that many chips and scollops i fed about three of us.
    I remember buying that many lollies for a penny you couldn't eat them.
    I remember the copper in the back yard and the thunder box as well.
    I remember every one had chooks and fed them scraps and got eggs from them. You couldn't afford to buy them.
    I remember going to school in bare feet cause my parents couldn't afford to buy any shoes.
    I remember my parents so well because they brought me up through hard times and went without a lot to keep us kids. I love to remember.
    Graeme

I remember when I was young and handsome and couldnt see my mattress from all the chicks.

SO WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED.

signed tunaman

bidkev

Quote Originally Posted by gawby
    <snip>
    I remember my parents so well because they brought me up through hard times and went without a lot to keep us kids. I love to remember
    Graeme
    That's the nicest thing I've read in a long time....thanks Graeme

kev

Camo, you could be right, maybe this is the good old days. Lets hope common sense prevails & we are still fishing in 20 or 30 years. Think optomistically.

Marshy

I remember the leads into Manly being a couple of 44gal drums.
    I remember crabbing Tingalpa creek from the unfinished Rickets road bridge.
    I remember when a lot more beacon's looked like Myora.
    I remember chucking my homework on our way to Cleveland Jetty for a afternoon fish.
    I remember my Dad sinking into the mud at Doboy creek to get more worms.
    # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # Those were the days...

I too remember the old copper and blisters from the axe.

I remember selling petrol for 13cents a litre at the Golden Fleece in wynnum after school.

I remember when Redland Bay road was gravel.

I remember putting 3 three foot sharks into the Wynnum wading pool. They were still kicking.
    My dictionary defines green as ‘unripe, immature, undeveloped'. Perfect description.

Most political parties are seen as interested in what the voters think, the Greens are seen as thinking the community should be interested in what they think.

Graham_N_Roberts

I remember the dunny man, the copper boiler, home grown chooks.
    I remember the only way to get to Rocky was by train.
    I remember fishing the Dawson with Mum and Dad. The Dawson was clean and clear, Mum and we kids caught fish, Dad read a book while his line stayed motionless.
    I remember catching #plenty of bream, flatties, whiting, etc from any flamin' place you droped a line at Capricorn Coast.
    I remember my first tank of petrol 70 cents a gallon, my first pack of cigs 50 cents.

Now....

Water closets and polution, hot water systems .... and more polution, no chooks due to noise polution (winging neighbours).
    No train
    Dirty Dawson and few fish as a result. >
    Less habitat and fewer fish at Yeppoon/EmuPark
    Fuel .... what more can you say.
    Don't smoke now..... more money for more tackle to catch less fish.

finga64

I can't wait for T.O.L's I can remembers.....

I can remember most of the above, using newspaper ripped up into squares for the out side dunny because dad had been on strike for mth and mths. Mum stayed at home, sitting aroung and listering to the radio ( NO telly), B&W tv.then watching the colour test pattern on when the tv can on. as a family standing for the National anthem in our own lounge room when telly finished for the night...........
    Rainbow Trout is NOT skittle flavoured fish.........

I remember when my state (Illinois) had farmland and I had access to fishing at nearly any lake. Now, the farms are paved with suburban homes and mini-malls and the lakes are all posted "Private property." > Grrrrrrrrrr.

But, like Blaze said, some things are better. Most fishermen are way more conservation minded. I don't see quite as much garbage being left behind by fishermen (still too much) and people don't keep everything they catch anymore (most anyway).

50/50.
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

I remember having to get up to change the channel on the TV.

I remember when you had to cook your toast in the toaster ... it didnt cook itself. It was an art form to get perfect toast

I remember when you had to listen for the jug to boil so you could switch it off..... I also remember Dad cursing when he had to replace the element on a few occasions 'cos the jug had boiled dry.

I remember when you were allowed to go camping.....

I remember Eskimo Pies and Hazlenut Rolls (gee I wish you could still buy these)

I remember my Nan saying "Make sure you get a good education, or you will end up on a pick & shovel like your Father" .... should have listened

I remember being able to play safely wherever we wanted ... no one had to watch to make sure we were ok or werent being abducted .... we just had to make sure we were home before the street lights came on

Cheers

Pete

I remember they used to put lead in paint.
    I remember they used asbestos roofing in schools.
    I remember chemical companies dumping there waste in bushland.
    I remember the government relocating the fraser island dingos in the dunmore forestry.
    I remember when we in Qld said NO to daylight saving.
    I never remember everything I forget
    I never forget anything I remember
    Tight lines <*)(((((((((><

I remember when the shops closed at 11.30am on Saturdays and did not open again until Monday morning and how the weekend traffic was calm on Saturday afternoons and Sundays and the kids were all able to play sport on the weekends rather than working as casuals for the retail and fast food businesses.

I remember when the Salvation Army held Boys League nights #that all the kids in Charlevile used to attend on Friday nights and they held paper chases wherein the Salvo Lietenant drove his motor scooter all over Charleville with a kid on the back (neither with a safety helmet) tossing out torn up bits of paper for the rest of us kids to track down all over town, without any concern fror our personal safety on a Friday night nor laws about refuse.

I remember when the kids at school used to tell those stories about certain clergy and certain teachers and we did not believe them.

I remember when the only place that you could buy after-hours petrol in Brisbane was at Barnes Auto at the quiet end of Adelaide Street. #You had to drive into their garage which appeared like a cave from the outside and then do a u-turn in tight space to get to the pump on the way out.

Like Finga, I also remember carrying hot water from the copper in a #bucket for the bath. #What I also remember was how every now and then some leaves would fall into the boiling water in the copper and how that made the bathwater wonderfully aromatic with smells of eucalyptus especially. #I also remember that the buckets were plastic and that everynow and then they would slip off their handle and I would end up with hot water on my legs.

I remember when labour was cheap and electrical things were expensive and people used to repair things, even the humble toaster. #Today you can buy them for $8.

I remember kids at school getting polio.

I remember when petrol was $1.35 a litre. # #

Oops! #That was not so long ago. #