Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: cheap prawns a no no !!

Re: cheap prawns a no no !!

squiggle you have given yourself up as having little experience or are your self involved in selling this inferior asian product i have been a pro fisherman in my younger yrs i fish and crab every week i buy my eggs a veg off a small farm > i am very lucky i am 62 being fishing with my own boat since i was 16 i dont need some smartee telling me jack shit

Hey Guys, It doesn't stop at the prawns, I brought a bag of squid on tues day and took the boys whiting fishing. I was surprised to see it wasn't an Oz product ,yet supplied by a major gold Coast bait supplier. And yes i still used it, but the thought did occcur to me if the freezing killed any bacteria.
    Chromey

The problem being for "most" aussies is they love seafood on Christmas, i know a guy ho owns a seafood shop and family own a crabbing license. One thing is that Muddies as of yesterday are $55 a kilo and Aussie Tigers are $40 a kilo.

This puts the family feed of local stuff well out the reach of "most" aussies. I do know that some aussie prawns are in fact taken to thailand for processing and then returned as local product. So if they have been sent over there are they aussie fishos or international companies?

Imported prawns arent that bad to eat if you get good ones i am sorry to say, and while the are half the price "most" aussies will buy them. This is not right but its the truth unfortunately. and also while there is a market for them you wont see them disapear for a while.

Also its not looking good for Xmas as there isnt much fresh stock around and when i comes in the price is very high.

Last my mate bought a box of imported prawns for X supermarket and when he got home checked the packaging date, they were over 12 months old.

Have a good christmas and have a feed of local stuff if you can afford it.

Cheers

Dan

Stuff the imported prawns. I shopped around(sunshine coast) and got fresh local tigers which were not even in the window yet for $25 cash only(noosa) I promptly bought 5kg and have been feasting ever since. Vanamei prawns are just sh!t.

was chatting to a friend who owns a beamie he trawled the burnett river today for 3 prawns none of the other boats tried the worst ever for them so farming prawns has to get bigger here

Quote Originally Posted by wayneoro
    squiggle #you have given yourself up as having little experience # # or are your self involved in selling this inferior asian product # #i have been a pro fisherman in my younger yrs # #i fish and crab every week i buy my eggs a veg off a small farm # # > i am very lucky # i am 62 being fishing with my own boat since i was 16 # # i dont need some smartee telling me jack shit
    I am actually a 42yo mother of 5 who has lived on farms most of her life with a husband who now work with a piggery. Some his family have been involved with trawling also during their lives working the gulf etc. I noticed some haven't mentioned they eat meat? Where they get this from? The eggs....what are the chooks fed??? I'm curious, not pellets I hope as other than organic ones they contain some type of hormones.
    Pigs are given hormones to grow fast...are you having ham or pork this Xmas?

Yes I'm just an ordinary mother that has struggled most of her life bringing up children on a fixed very low budget, while having to cope with a husband (now deceased) that was dying of kidney failure this included helping to give home blood dialysis.

So please don't tell me I know jack shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Chromedome
    Hey Guys, It doesn't stop at the prawns, I brought a bag of squid on tues day and took the boys whiting fishing. I was surprised to see it wasn't an Oz product ,yet supplied by a major gold Coast bait supplier. And yes i still used it, but the thought did occcur to me if the freezing killed any bacteria.
    Chromey

THANKS CHROMEDOME AND FLICK,,

chromedome covers my original thread on ""other seafood"",, squid is also imported and most from the same sources as the prawns,,,

flick,,,,i was scanning the library trying to find the dpi report,,,and gave up,,,

i dont believe that many of you haven't seen the conditions of the asian VEGIE farms reported on a current affairs show a while back,,,,most were utilising harmful sprays,,,sewage was a problem,,,filth was everywhere,,,and yet WE IMPORT the produce to compete with aussie farmers,,,,

same as the prawn and seafood imports

if anyone believes the GOVERNMENT would not allow this,,,,,,,,,truly wake up,,,and do some research on the topic,,,its not new,,,its been going on for ages,,,
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

We must all realise that some of us eat what we can afford to eat. And when you think you are finally getting something local for a good price only to find you cannot peel them and when you do finally do this and find they only taste the same as licking a salt shaker it's a bit disappointing. #

Derek_Bullock

Minister for Primary Industries and Fisheries
    The Honourable Tim Mulherin
    22/12/2006

AVOID THE RAW (IMPORTED) PRAWN THIS CHRISTMAS

Primary Industries and Fisheries Minister Tim Mulherin today again reminded recreational fishers not to use imported prawns as bait these holidays as they may carry viruses harmful to local prawns.

Mr Mulherin said imported green (uncooked) prawns could carry exotic viruses which if introduced could have devastating consequences for the Australian prawn fishing and farming industries.

"Testing conducted by the Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries found imported green (uncooked) prawns purchased at some supermarkets in Queensland carried White Spot Syndrome Virus and Taura Syndrome Virus," he said.

"While these prawn diseases will not harm humans, they have the potential to cause damage to wild and farmed prawn industries."

Mr Mulherin said the Australian Government had refused his call for an interim ban on imported green prawns while Biosecurity Australia's draft import risk analysis (IRA) was out for public comment.

"While the draft report released late last month recommends stronger measures to manage quarantine risks posed by some prawn and prawn products, I believe the risk of waiting a further 90 days for consultation, is too great,'' he said.

"Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry Peter McGauran disagreed and while this is disappointing for the Queensland industry, DPI&F will continue to maintain a tough stance on imported green prawns.

"As part of our commitment to protecting the state's industry, DPI&F will continue its own sampling and testing program for imported prawn products.

"We will make a detailed submission to the IRA and continue our discussions with Biosecurity Australia."

Mr Mulherin said if imported uncooked prawns were used as bait or berley by recreational fishers, diseases could be spread to our prawn stocks. Imported prawn food scraps dumped in creeks, rivers or the ocean will also threaten native prawn stocks.

"I encourage recreational fishers to use only Australian prawns as bait and to ensure that all prawn scraps are dumped in land-based refuse tips."

DPI&F officers will be meeting with industry to discuss the Queensland Government's response to the import risk analysis.

Media: 32396530

jim_farrell

I am disgusted by the attitude of the feds over this. But I cannot believe that if the QLD govt was serious about this, they couldn't ban the sale of a diseased or tainted product that has the potential to effect an already struggling industry. If mr mulherin had a set of any size, he would legislate a way to stop their sale.

Jim

There are some strange pollies in this country, when you have them advising people against using these "things" when they let them come into this country in the first place.

This whole situation reeks of bumbling stupidity.

sqiiggle i had no idea you were a lady and your circumstances i thought i was tossing it with one of the armchair fishermen please accept my apology i guess its easy for me to bag asian seafood when i have access to so much we sorta covered this on viet; catfish i posted that this gave a family cheap fish but when it was disclosed what they were feed i dont think it is worth the risk same with the prawns at woolworths today bundaberg lg green banana prawns $16 k at the cold store same $20 k cold store also had b grade muddies $28k and a grade $35 fresh mullet fillets $11 k nz squid is $8k usa squid is $13.50 for 2.3 k you just just dont have to gamble doc,s tell us we are what we eat cheers

hey guys,hope you had a good christmas and have a great new year.had to throw my two cents worth in here!!im in the bait prawn industry and i can understand how you get sick of paying so much for bait,weneva im at the servo,wherever it may be,i nearly always cast an eye over the bait freezer.imagine how we feel when we see a 200 gram packet of prawns sell for 10 cents more than we get for a kilo!!not good.i think some comments on here are also comparing food grade imported prawn meat with bait grade australian stuff,bait is not food.when we did a safe seafood course we learnt that freezing does not kill all bacteria.if you buy australian prawns and dont think there up to scratch,try taking them back,its worth a go,we try and deliver to the shops as good a product as possable.once again,mongers buy the stuff from us,walk inside and put it in the window for over double,if you argue they give you a spiel about bills to pay.if you argue further they say they can get it cheaper from elsewhere and make you feel as though you should through yourself at there feet and praise them,i think there must be a book in mass production for them,prawns too small,prawns too big,too old,i bought prawns in once and they were that fresh that some were still alive and had them complain that they were too fresh and would take ice to cool them down,and on and on.i can understand people looking at the cheap prawns because i want to get as much as possable for my money as well,but money for medication later on in life will cost more than the $20 saved over the deli counter,anyway off to nz for a fortnight,chow!!!
    support your local commercial fisher,its never too late!!

Always amused/bewildered at the amount of people that on one hand jump up and down with issues concerning the commercial sector but then race off to purchase their product,haven't bought local seafood for over a decade myself (addmitedly still can't find a substitute for pillies though) and welcome the imported prawns,picked up two kilo's the other night for $9.95 kg reduced,small king in size and very firm shell.......chicken shit never tasted so good.

I didn't have a clue regarding the imported raw prawns until this post appeared.

Primary Industries expect everyone to know the risks??? I could have gone and purchased some of the prawns in question not realizing the risks. Unbelievable.

On the other hand, I will NEVER buy Australian wild prawns (trawler caught) after seeing first hand the damage trawling has done off our east coast. This is definately one industry I WILL NOT SUPPORT.

I will go for Australian farmed prawns every time, or go without.

cheers roz.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!