Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Hardest fighting fish?

Kingies are up there, whiting go hard, but kilo for kilo swallowtail dart get the nod from me.

Catch a one kilo dart on 6 kilo line and see how long it takes to land, then think about how some of these bigger fish will go against line class 6 times their weight.

Re: Hardest fighting fish?

After a day out on the water with my uncle I tried something new which was knife jigging which resulted in having a few tussles with some huge Amberjack. Now that I have felt the might and strength of these fish I have updated my own thoughts of what I think is the hardest fighting fish that I have done battle with. A 30kg Amberjack is extremely hard to pull up from 60 meters down let me say.

Poodroo

GT's for sure. whiting for their size as well. and maybe large aussie salmon i reckon..

Good to see the old aussie salmon getting a few mentions, one minute they go down deep and next they are teking line as they do arials and tail dancing. I big fish from the deep is going to cause some hurt to the fisherman but I dont think its a fair way to rate a fishes fighting ability. So if all the fish were 10lb where does that lead the contest, I dont know but the old aussie salmon is going to be up there.
    cheers
    blaze

pound for pound it would have to be 15 kg plus yellow tail kings in shallow water , for me anyway keep your back straight and hang on '' love it''

surprised some one hasn't mentioned some of those large cod.
    probably not pound for pound but thats like comparing heavyweights to flyweights.
    I've stopped most species mentioned and I,ll allways have a soft spot for the yell.king a/j & samsom, in open water.The groper and pig around the stones for there dirty tricks,the speed of the mackeral allways amazes me.
    A large bass groper out of 300 +m well that is hard work.very hard to pick a winner there all fun from mullet to marlin.I just hope the passion doesn't wain!

yellow tail kings and cobes are tough fish. some of the grassy sweetlip and spangled emperor that we get from currimundi in 10 meters of water go real hard aswell

Longtail tuna for me,Have had a couple of drawn out fights on 6 kilo.Knackered by the end of it.

I have already answered to this thread but forgot about mako sharks .This things are pure crazy ,dirty fighters and in my opinion outright dangerous.They not only fight but fight back big time, damaging boats and ready to take on anything in site .
    cheers
    George

No glory, but pound for pound, specially on the lightest possible line (i am using one of the new 1 pound B/Strain lines) GARFISH!!! Go the mini marlin!!

Lawry

Stripey Trumpeter or Harpuka...

The baracuda on my avatar was a mission to land. Chased it all over the reef for a good 10 minutes in the tinny before it was landed. Hardest fish I have caught by far - fast, strong and big!!

Smile Re: Hardest fighting fish?

Black Jewfish gets my vote!

Its really hard to say, pound for pound, whats the hardest fighting fish is, but I know one thing. Fish are allway full of surprises, and thats fishing. Top thread.

signed tunaman

For mine its a tossup between Kingies, Drummer or Aussie Salmon!
    They all go like the clappers!