Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Hardest fighting fish?

Pistol_Pete

Re: Hardest fighting fish?

Yellowtail kings and GT's I reckon....Longtails are great fighters but the fight is no where near as brutal.

Freshwater - Pound for Pound it is easily the Jungle Perch.

Saltwater - Don't do alot of Saltwater Fishing, but Wahoo are simply the fastest fish in the Sea... But Id love to fight a 1200lb+ B/Marlin one day. If I could tag and release one of them, Id be the happiest man alive.

Merry X-Mas AusFishers!
    TT

Easily the toughest fighting oogly going around will be my next GT...the more u try to bruise them the more they fight back.
    50lb braid on a nitro godzilla with a 6500 baitrunner locked up....its a "fair fight"

My vote would go to jig caught black jew living on wrecks, would pull any fish backwards in the first 30 sec to min after hookup (thats if you stay connected that long), next up would be chinaman then GT,S.
    Cheers Ian

Kilo for kilo the hardest fighting fish I've ever caught....bar none.

But....I havn't caught a black bass.

r.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

It's obvious that everyone has locked horns with some great fighters. The reason I picked the longtail tuna as being the best based on personal experience was because I have never had a fish fight to the point where it was literally dead by the time I got it next to the boat. They give it their all and seem to take longer than most to bring in. Would like to do battle with a yellowtail kingy though. I reckon they go hard from what people are saying.

Regards,

Poodroo

He who aims at nothing is sure to hit it.

Pound for Pound the PNG Black Bass. Catch a 4kg blk bass and you'll think its a 15kg GT....

Don't agree with the black bass theory. It's a matter of where they live. If you hooked a big mac or tuna in a mangrove estuary then the same theory applies. If you were to hook a big black bass in open water I couldn't see them doing massive 100m+ runs everywhere. Black Bass are just like a big reefy on roids but they live in the same environment as jacks which gives them the upper hand. Put them in the open and they wouldn't last long.

Pete.

Well, i know it is an impossible thing to accurately compare different species/locations, but anyone who has tried extracting a grass sweetlip from the shallow bay reefs knows what a fight is.

The buggers don't have to be big either - i have one spot in 4m of water with only small rocky rubble on the bottom, and it takes at least 30lb line and a broomstick to extract anything over 1kg!! they hit hard, and they hit fast. B4 you know whats happened, you have a sore gut where the rod has just 'bucked' and he's taken your hook for jewelry. Awesome fish - make squire look like pansy's.

Damo
    Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. But ,flogging him into submission will result in him taking up crabbing.... and once he gets a taste of that sh*t, well, he may never return again.

Quote Originally Posted by Deiter
    Well, i know it is an impossible thing to accurately compare different species/locations, but anyone who has tried extracting a grass sweetlip from the shallow bay reefs knows what a fight is.

The buggers don't have to be big either - i have one spot in 4m of water with only small rocky rubble on the bottom, and it takes at least 30lb line and a broomstick to extract anything over 1kg!! they hit hard, and they hit fast. B4 you know whats happened, you have a sore gut where the rod has just 'bucked' and he's taken your hook for jewelry. Awesome fish - make squire look like pansy's.

Damo
    Good point Damo,

It's almost impossible to judge pound for pound. But here's a hypothetical.... every fish we catch was available at the weight of say 10kg, & you were given a rod and reel with 5kg line, which species would come out in front? I might change my opinion of a GT and select a whiting.

Hope that doesn't sound too silly... well it probably does!!!

Who cares. We won the Ashes!!!!.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Yeah Roz, i reckon if whiting grew to 5kg, you might never stop them.

Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. But ,flogging him into submission will result in him taking up crabbing.... and once he gets a taste of that sh*t, well, he may never return again.

you know when you hook up and you dont even get a chance ,it may as well be a train or submarine and you never knew what hit you
    Yellow Tail Kingie or his mate Black King
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Yep Yellow tail kings and black drummer or pigs as we call them down here # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # ## # # # # ## # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # Cheers spinna# # # # #

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

GT for me - much tougher than Spaniards, cobia and fingermark. Got these two in the last week and both took 30 minutes to land. I can't imagine how people get the 50kg monsters on board.
    13kg: http://www.bbbalc.com/News_Events/Ph...es/Dave_GT.jpg
    14.8kg http://www.bbbalc.com/News_Events/Ph...GT_07Jan07.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Craigo
    I would have to say the cobia for offshore, but off the beach nothing beats a big dart holding itself sideways in the waves. They don't weigh in much but boy they know how to fight

Merry xmas
    I'm with you CRAIGO! They certainly put on a show and a heap of fun in the surf!!

Take care T
    home is where the loan is...
    Helping people get the RIGHT Home Loan