Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: How to cure sea-sickness?

How to cure sea-sickness?

Hi guys,
    Today I went out in my uncles boat, trolling tailor around chasing some Spanish macs, (got nothing ) but I found out that I get seasick. I spent the morning throwing up over the side or laying on the bottom of the boat.
    As I will probably be going out in similar swells every now and then (Nothings stopping me from fishing), I would greatly appreciate any advice on how to avoid sea sickness.
    Thanks in advance,
    snagking
    I Fish, I catch, I SNAG

Re: How to cure sea-sickness?

Hi Snag

I have been told that if you put in 1 disposable ear plug this will help

Get a good nights sleep and take the antihistamine Avomine, never not been a sufferer from the age of 5 on the ocean, if I do not follow both of the above I would rather stay home, nothing else has even come close to working for me.

cheers fnq

Thanks guys.
    I Fish, I catch, I SNAG

it varies with ppl tho Snag...i use Travacalm...works for me but not my son (i take a full tablet he gets 1/4)...ive recently bought a set of wrist bands for the boy...they work on pressure points...we hav'nt used them yet...but when we do ill let you know how they go...other ppl ive spoken to swear black and blue about oranges...eating a heap of them before you leave and during the trip...something about the vitamin C???
    i try to keep my son off the bottom of the boat...it makes it worse for him...he cant really focus on anything... i put him in the chair and play spot the bird (this game mightent cut it with you tho )
    try a few different things...find out what works for you...you'll be right

Mrs Benno1
    Sunny

Yeah travacalm works for me too. I take one before I leave home, it takes about 30 mins for me to get to the boat ramp and I've never been sick on them yet.

Cheers
    Kezza
    Callsign - Smells Like Fish! VHF Ch 21, 73 or 80

Thanks heaps for the info guys!
    Can i get travacalm at the supermarket, or is it from a special store?
    I Fish, I catch, I SNAG

SNAGKING.

Use the Avomine first.... you get it at the chemist.
    1 pill before bed thats all, it makes you drowsey so thats why you take it before bedtime. You wake up feeling normal as to taking it in the morning, you will have a crappy day - feeling tired.

Joe

Keep eating, snack on dry stuff. Shapes, dried fruit and nuts, keep off the bottom of the boat and in some fresh air.
    Crystalised Ginger works for my wife.
    Travel Calm and Kwells leave the mouth dry

Yes you get travel calm from the chemist or kwels is another brand both of these will leave you with a very dry mouth for about 20mins to a hour and can leave some people feeling a bit dazed. There is also ginger tablets that will work for some people as ginger has a calming efect on the gut. I am going to try this Avomine as I dont like the dry mouth bit although that is heaps better than spewin your ring out all day

Stop getting on the drink the night before

Seriously i don't get sick but if your having any dairy products before you go say milk on your ceral and coffee that will make you sick as well but like someone was saying give the avomine a go have heard great things from it. My mate gets crook all the time he used the wrist bands last trip and came up trumps
    JT
    VHF CHANNEL 21
    CALL SIGN : JT OR SC552(social club member)

There is a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges

Up here we Use Hussar as baits for real RED FISHS (SHSIIFDER)

I take kwells, but ginger beer also works well.

For plugging one ear you plug the opposite ear as to what hand you use ie right handed, plug left ear and vice versa. Works for my grandfather and he gets crook on those floating pontoons at the ramp.

If you do get sick, make sure you eat and drink plenty of water, you will feel much better in between hurls. Also getting your stomach working also helps to alleviate seasickness.

Another at hand remedy is a smal bucket of cold water down your back, works for me, trouble is finding cold enough water, the colder the better. I think it just works by sending your body into a bit of shock and while your body copes with the sudden need to regulate your temp, you forget all about your seasickness.

Also, laying down looking up will only make things worse, as does looking down. You need to be able to 'see' that you are moving, thats what causes seasickness, its an argument between your sense of balance which says you are moving, and your sight which says you aren't, as usual when a fight happens, things get messy. So line up the bait board with a landmass or the waves so you can see it moving against the background, won't cure it, but makes you feel a lot better.

Thanks heaps!
    I Fish, I catch, I SNAG

If you have had a spit eat a handful of dry twisties. I do not know what is in them but it stops you dry reaching and you will settle down rather quickly. I always have a packet in the boat these days for just that purpose. Rescued myself and my mates dozens of times now and all are converts to keeping twisties handy.

If you are just feeling seedy and the mouth starts to water prior to chucking you are better off having a spit and then a handful of twisties.
    Jack.

i tried ets tablet you take two different tablets at the same they are the best for me next best was the avomine you get ets tablets from bova chemist they send them up from sydney there number is 95253044