Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Your thoughts on BCF

Re: Your thoughts on BCF

I have read through this post again and saw many people that stood up for BCF blamed BCF's poor service & high price's on that it's a new store well hey i use to work in my old mans store in Darwin it had nothing to do with fishing it was all automotive but it had something in common we both relied on customer's and once the doors are open from the first day of trading your goal is to survive meaning you have to show the customer your interested in them and are willing to listen they appreciate it if you leave your post to help them out hell know's you might make a dollar it might not be much to you but hey to the customer they have had trouble free service and are going to remember this so next time they appear you might make a $1000.00 or more i took pride in looking after my customers they were my bread and butter i seem to think these days the young ones have it to easy they get a wage for looking after themselves.

No complaints about my local BCF good range and personally I like being left alone to browse. We picked up an inflatable boat [shop-soiled] for $120 less than the list price and also some arbogast jitterbugs at $5 each - a great saving!
    Since then, though, we've found that Sundown Marine has far better prices on new inflatables > We bought nav. lights and trailer lights at Sundown, and Jason gave us a good discount coz of my Ausfish membership, and no-one else will do that! Well done Sundown Marine!

I just had a look through the new store at Keperra the other day. Won't see me back there!

Many prices were double, yes DOUBLE, what I could get same product for elsewhere if I looked hard enough and waited for common specials.

I just can't afford to pay over $500 for a reel that I know I can get elsewhere for in the order of $260.

I mentioned this to the guy behind the counter, and he just said "so what - go and get it at the other place".

I rang the Townsville shop last Friday after price and availability of a certain item, when I called I was put trough to the fishing section, after a wait of 10mins I was greeted with Quote "what do you want" unquote, to which I replied a bit of phone ettiquite, after fighting myself not to hang up I got the price for the said item and it was nearly twice the bloody price I could get the item at another local store. > >

Walked around the Cannon Hill store yesterday, there were about the same numbers of customers as staff, about 5 each

I was looking for a couple of vidoes I want for my Birthday, but was also doing a general cruise of the whole shop. Went past all of the 5 staff at some stage, not one of them even looked at me, let alone asked if they could be of assistance.

Won't last long like that, there could be some massive specials coming up when the nean counters review the first half year cash flow....

P.S there were very few special prices, almost none!!!!!!!

I found the sales staff to be terrible..LOL asking them about one thing I got a rundown on something completely different that wasnt even related...stock was OK but Ill continue to support my local tackle stores....

you know what they say...
    'employ a teenager now, while they know everything'

Barrymundi

I just spent the weekend at Airlie Beach. two tackles stores, service was crap, one old boiler behind the counter "grunted" I guess that was "hello"

Al

I have been impressed with what Bob Thorn has done with Supa Cheap. Don't get me wrong there I won't buy anything there due to the lack of quality I've experienced, but he took that company and made it a successful enterprise. The thought was to go the same way with BCF. Buy up some existing camping shops, rebrand, open new stores then flood them with cheaply sourced goods. Very much along the lines of Supa Cheap and they have done well.

What the difference with the local tackle shop is is how the business came about. My local was created by a keen fisherman who has grown his shop and instills his philosophy into the staff he employs (both young and old). BCF has not got a store wide culture thus the response will vary from shop to shop and staff member to staff member. Its grown not slowly and out of profits but due to heavy investment being pumped in and a massive imflux of new staff.
    Bobs exit leaves me wondering what other reasons there were as well.

I've been at my local (Labrador) a few times and I must say the only advantage is the Bunnings convenience of plenty of products but the staff approach and general store approach has not been enough to make me want to go back even though its my closest shop and I pass it every day.
    My business relies on customer service but possibly BCF do well with higher prices making up for not getting repeat business of certain types of customer but I do seriously wonder if it will be another success story. I'm guessing not but thats only based on my local store experience.

I went to the Labradore one on the weekend. Got to the check out with a queen self inflating matress under one arm & a fold up camp bed under the other. Looked around & spotted 2 mothers meetings going on. Said to the wife, this is the problem with this place, can't give your money away.

Finally got served & get asked what the product is, the brand name & the size so the girl cantry & find it in the computer. No luck there, so 3 calls over the blower for someone to get a price check.

Finally get one & then I'm told what I have picked up is not what I wanted. I should have grabbed the bag that was 4 inches longer for the jumbo camp stretcher, so off again she goes to get one.

Talk about a painfull!!!!

No need for me to go back anytime soon.... thank god!
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Dave

I get to talk to a few builders around the traps and it is becoming more and more painfull to hear them whinge about the service or lack of it from bummings. In the next breath they say " but where else around here can you get this stuff". It seems that this company has done what bcf is trying to do. Provide a one stop fishing shop. The little bloke cant compete and goes belly up. I for one will continue to support my local because I would hate to see the day when the only place to get some gear is bcf, bummings etc. I have found a good thing and will stick to it. Bought a tld 25 from local 185. Next week bcf 179. Still I am happy

Dave

I am keeping my identity to myself with this post. Going as far to register under another e-mail adress and user name for what I am about to write. I have been in the tackle industry now for some time, and have worked for most of the major players in this country. I know many of you in this forum personally and by chatting to you on this and many other forums that I am a member of. I have read all of these posts, and despite whether I agree or disagree with the BCF concept of chain store fishing tackle, I have this to say on behalf of all the BCF employees that most of you are slinging of for age and knowledge. In fact I say it on behalf of anyone in the tackle trade that are too polite and professional to say it out loud. Maybe these kids are young and dont know too much, but have you tried to get into the tackle trade yourselves? It is almost impossible as all stores previous to BCF were family owned buisnesses, where you had to be related or wait for someone to die to get a job in what you love doing. These kids are young, but you expect them to know more than yourselves who have spent a lifetime learning. Wake up to yourselves, I know alot of you out there, and believe me, you are not as smart as what you all think. You come into tackle stores all over the country thinking that you are red hot fishos, still thinking that Ugly Sticks are the best rods on the planet, and ABU's are the best reels ever made, and spewing over a $100 combo that in your mind is too expensive an outfit. Its true what they say, 90% of the fishermen catch 10% of the fish, and 10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish. I have been in tackle now for many years, and served hundreds of thousands of you, and I am fed up with your crap thinking that you know everything. The majority of you out there dont know sweet F.A. and no matter how many forums you subscribe to, no matter how many boat stickers you put on your boats, and no matter how many fishing clothes you put on your back, you will still be part of that 90% of fisherman that only catch 10% of the fish. Do I agree with chain store tackle- no. But I remember how hard it was to get into the tackle industry, and if BCF is going to open the doors for some young and upcoming fishos, then god bless. And to you members from other tackle stores (and you know who I am refering too), stop fueling this debate with B.S. If your shop is so much better than BCF because of your knowledge being better than theirs, then you shouldnt feel threatened by them. Serve your customers, as I will continue to do, with good knowledge, service and advice, and let BCF go and be what it will be.

ahhhhh cannon....seems like someone has the cat by the tail. I don't recall anyone saying they are a great fisho. All the majority want is some good old fashioned service and some prices on products. It does not matter if it is BCF or any other store...no one likes being ignored if they are shopping and everyone likes to see some prices if they are considering buying. If BCF want to use their store for training kids in the boating, camping and fishing retail industry that is fine by me...just don't expect me to be there. I will go to a tackle store when I can get "good knowledge, service and advice." I will not go to a training school for kids in the retail industry where it appears the customer is an inconvenience to said staff.

no wonder you want to remain anonymous with a post like that cannon and have registered a new name to post this. Doesn't say much for you personal integrity and intestinal fortitude to me.

And I s'pose you plan to go on using you other avtar like nothing has happened? Spineless!

You'd better make up your mind tho - is it "The majority of you out there dont know sweet F.A. and no matter how many forums you subscribe to, no matter how many boat stickers you put on your boats, and no matter how many fishing clothes you put on your back, you will still be part of that 90% of fisherman that only catch 10% of the fish" or is it "yourselves who have spent a lifetime learning"

You can come back at me with whatever you like. At least you will know who it is you are writing to. I don't need a veil of secrecy.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Darryl

"I have been in tackle now for many years, and served hundreds of thousands of you, and I am fed up with your crap thinking that you know everything. #The majority of you out there dont know sweet F.A. "

AND YOU SIR CAN KISS MY LILLY ASS...

Regardless if we think we know all, we pay your wage ..
    As Pinhead said i wont go too any store that treats costumers like an inconvenience.
    #