Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Slaughter of flathead

Re: Slaughter of flathead

All my big flatties go back for breeding , I don't get em that big though
    They are a great fish good luck to the fisho but for me it's a no brainer RELEASE em especially that big WHAT A WASTE .
    Cheers

good on ya kingfisho
    nice fish nathan..well done
    its friday tomorrow..picture in the paper day.
    lets hope its not a repeat performance again.
    by the way, the paper did not publish any of our letters or messages this week.
    it has been suggested to them that they have live weigh in only for big breeding flattys ..cant see the problem as a lot of anglers already do it, and the tackle shops are willing.

hope my next post isnt a pic of another dead fish.

thanks for all the input so far everyone. great ideas and questions.
    wouldnt expect anything less from the knowledge and experience that is displayed on this site..

regards Maxi

SERIOUSLY MATE who in their right mind would keep a fish like that... That would be a significant breeding female in its population and you have just caught it and killed it... BOILS MY BLOOD

yeah mate mine too

been watching this go on for to long in my local area. we are trying but it has a long way to go im afraid. your support is most welcome mate.

regards maxi

piss weak

Not up with this forum yet but read this post and it's merits are good and then i read this??? "Mate people who live in glass houses should not through stones,you can't be serious," and the rest. Banshee individuals's attitude's do change unless you started fishing in the rex hunt kiss a fish era you probably come from a glass house too as most fisho's do. Good post Maxi well done

hi guys,
    in fridays paper the pic was of two really small flathead.....
    caught off lennox beach

had to laugh..
    would like to think the message was getting through...

but a big breeder was still killed this week in "what was biggest fish killed weekly winner section..a 5.6 kg model"

a fish over 6 kg is leading at the moment > >

oh well..its legal..and it sucks..

regards Maxi

I cant see why the NSW DPI won't follow the lead of the QLD DPI and have a limit on flathead of 40cm - 70cm and nothing over, from the pictures and stories on this web site it seems to me the flathead stocks in QLD waterways are on the rise.

It would be good to hear from the guys who fish in the Flathead Classic to get there opinion..I think the flathead classic is on again soon...It will be interesting to see how they go!!!

There has been some talk down in NSW to raise the lower limit for flathead to 40cm ....but.... I don't think they are going to budge on the upper limit of 70cm and only one over 70cm!!!

I think the bag limits are still going to be 5 fish in possession.

As soon as the NSW DPI'S attitude changes the better it will be for everyone!!

I'm still chasing info on the breeding of the flathead...bloody hard job!!

Cheers Prof.

the DPI should have seen this and changed it already!!

G'day Guys,

I am on the Gold Coast Flathead Classic Committee and have been looking at the capture figures for the last couple of years since the 40 - 70cm slot limits were introduced. The size of fish caught in the Classic has been on the increase for tha past couple of years. I haven't got the figures at hand but what I'll do is post up this years results as well as the last two years to show the increase in numbers of big girls caught.

Just by looking at the posts on this forum, you can see the increase in big fish being captured this year compared with the last couple of years. Its really encouranging. Hopefully during this years Classic we'll see the first metre plus flattie captured, photographed and released.

From a personal point of view and as has been mentioned in this topic, while the guys in the pics are have done nothing legally wrong its a real shame to see those big girls destined for the dinner plate. On our boats up here a couple of us have a self imposed upper limit of 55cm for flatties we take for a feed and at the most two each.

Cheers

John

rtranter

NSW DPI put out a discussion paper to review rules for rec fishing in July 05 submissions in by Sept 05, our Fishing Club (Coutts Crossing Fishing Club) had a good look and agreed with 99% of sensible prposals one of which was "DUSKY FLATHEAD" Option 2: 40cm min for all pro and rec fisherpeople with a MAXIMUM legal length of 70cm and reduced rec bag limit to 5.
    We didi send our submission but as yet have not heard of a result.
    Our Club also changed it's weigh in rules to measurement of length so that C&R fisherpeople could still get same points as those that like to keep and eat their catch.
    Regards
    Rob

Great thread!

Hey JT Looking forward to catching up with you in the classic! #Look out for "The Jigolo's"!

And speaking of jigging .....

Not sure if we can extrapolate an increase in capture of large flatties during the classic to directly relate to changes in legal slot limits; it may not be so simple as that. (although if it was true then that's awesome!!). #Other factors for example, may be:

- #we are better at catching the big girls now as most anglers are using soft plastics to a greater degree and the techniques are improving and developing exponentially. #A lot of these big fish are coming from very shallow water where, (in the past) they possibly would have spooked due to the boat trolling over the area before the lure went past. #Maybe if more anglers were casting shallow hard bodies in these same areas before, then just as many big fish would have been caught?? Who knows?

- #As with other species there may be different catch rates from year to year due to environmental and ecological changes, water temp timing, etc etc. #resulting in different breeding rates and times.

- #I'm not sure about this, but the pro's netting at different times may also have had an impact?? #There have been more pro's out recenlty in the flatty areas than we have seen in ages..... and maybe the timing of the classic is different from year to year when compared to the pro's focusing on flathead?? #Just a consideration.

There must be a huge number of other variables, but as long as we see the overall numbers increasing from year to year then who cares what it's due to??!! #I think it may be too early to assume (based on 2-3 years of increased capture rates in classic) that this is only due to the slot limits, as there have been many other factors & variables which may be at least partly responsible to the changing capture stats we see ..... especially the very efficient new SP fishing techniques we have!! #Only time will tell.

Good fishing to you all whatever your opinions are on this "Big Flatty" issue!! #Do what you think is right.

I should add that my personal feeling is that our rules in QLD are spot on and common sense says that it must be making at least some contribution to the improved flatty fishing we have seen.

Hey Franco, see you Wednesday night,

And I agree with everything you have said with regard to the other factors influencing the assumed increase in numbers of bigger Flatties due to the slot limit introduction. Lots of variables to take into account, but the slot limits must help contribute to it.

Cheers

John

very well said Franco

summed the whole sh..ty situation #(for us in nsw) #up extremely well !!!!!!
    the stats on the classic WILL be good reading im sure..
    in my way of thinking, if you continue to kill females the stock diminishes...RIGHT # !!!

whats the problem dpi
    please dont miss the boat again !!!!

i wish they would listen to the people on the water for a change

lots of knowledge and experience to gleen if only our ""leaders"" were more in touch...

webby..hope you read this
    congrats on the new position
    your a REAL mouthpiece for us ...
    your appointment can only be seen as a win for our realm of enjoyment #

congrats again !!!!!
    see you at nerang in nov.

regards paul

thanks for all the support shown here by you people, we didnt expect anything less. chilli head is a mate, and we got sick of the pics in the paper etc . etc. #
    something needs to be done now !!
    before "its too late"

biggish jew in todays paper # # #nice fish !!!!

in NSW...personal upper limit flattys

yeah i know im harping on it..
    but, who has a self imposed size on the killing and chewing of flattys ???
    i eat a few around the 40 to 50 cm size range

yumm

none over #60... thats for sure....

regards Paul

(to much fun to kill)

need some stats people !!!!