Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Pain inflicted by fish?

Re: Pain inflicted by fish?

Quote Originally Posted by Poodroo View Post
    Have often thought about the nasty pain that can be inflicted by the spines of some of the fish out there. Have any ausfishers experienced severe pain from being spiked? What is the worst thing that has got you and what was it like? I can consider myself lucky in that I have not encountered anything too lethal out there. Worst fish to have spiked me was a flathead which was bad enough. Just interested to hear your stories whether it be a "happy moment" or perhaps a stonefish. Most importantly and the reason I posted this thread is how did you treat it? Advice from people with experience may well come in handy some day. Regards,

Poodroo
    Ha! I can still show you a hole in my old wader boots ..... "If you put your foot on the stingray I will pull out the hand spear." Don't worry, he can't spike you through the boot........ Ha Ha Ha!!! :lipsrsealed:
    Scalem

Nuggstar that is truly amazing. I have not heard of anyone who has tested his pain endurance to those levels ever. You've rightfully earned the royal crown to be the King of aquatic pain.
    About three or four trips ago to Mud I tried to compete with you when I thought I dragged yet another piece of living reef into my boat and nearly picked the thing up but only to discover it was my first ever stonefish. I was running out of jigheads that day too so I decided I would retrieve it but using a set of long nose pliers to hold it's mouth while I freed the jighead (luckily it was lip hooked or else I'd have just cut it off).

Poodroo

He who aims at nothing is sure to hit it.

Hi Poodroo

Don't know if your Q re the flathead spike was answered elsewhere but the trick is to make a cut in the flathead belly and stick the affected finger into the stomach.

I know it works and as of the other day; thanks to BlackJenny, I think we know why it works

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...d.php?t=133173

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Can someone please explain what a Happy Moment is?????

Quote Originally Posted by Bear001 View Post
    Hi Bear,

it is a fish with poisonous spines. Also called a Black Trevally. Have a look at Nuggstar's report happy days, he put some pictures up (the first 2 pics are Happy Moments);

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...d.php?t=133177

Cheers

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post
    Hi Poodroo

Don't know if your Q re the flathead spike was answered elsewhere but the trick is to make a cut in the flathead belly and stick the affected finger into the stomach.

I know it works and as of the other day; thanks to BlackJenny, I think we know why it works

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...d.php?t=133173

Cheers
    Chimo
    you dont have to cut them at all. all you have to do is rub some body slime off the fish and put it on ya finger and the pain will go away, same thing with the happy moments, body slime is the antidote
    figjam :wink:

Hi Nug

In the case of flathead; the cut is inevitable with fillet and release, Happy Moments I'll leave to others

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Bear001 View Post
    Can clearly remember the pain spreading up my forearm from my first encounter with the happy moments. Not excruciating, kinda like a beesting. More worried about if you get a reaction, being out in the dark by yourself and all.
    Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by Poodroo View Post
    Well this has been a bit surprising. I didn't think that the catfish would be the leaders in pain infliction. I was expecting Happy Moments perhaps or even stingrays. Thanks to Chicken I now know that being spiked by anything is potentially harmful because I never considered the risk of infection. I also get spiked by bream, snapper, and one of the worst to get off a hook is those damn Parrotfish. Almost always as soon as you put some pressure on them to remove the hook they do that sideways thing they do and get you with the spike near their gill plates. I am always being cautious of their teeth go figure. Back in my aquarium days I used to keep Bullrouts in a tank. Not sure why. Never got spiked by one thank goodness. Anyway, keep the stories coming as I am having a great time reading them.

Poodroo
    Hi Poodroo

We seem to catch a heap of parrot on a charter we do every year off Hervey bay (4 nights). The best way to hold a parrot is in under the gills - it's probably not that pleasant for them but they don't survive coming up from deep water anyway...

Quote: "Advice from people with experience may well come in handy some day"

If you refer to the Australian Resuscitation Council Guideline 8.9.8 on Fish Stings - The Managment states:
    1/ Place the victims stung hand or foot in hot water (no hotter than the rescurer can comfortably tolerate)
    2/ In the uncommon event that heat does not relieve the pain, paradoxically the application of cold may be effective.
    3/ Transport the victim to a medical facility.

Hope this helps

Darren.

Since I started this thread so long ago I have again found myself working in the Aquarium industry. Part of the occupational hazards include having to deal with stingy creatures like lionfish, bullrouts, etc. Will be handling them with extreme caution for sure.

Cheers,

Poodroo

He who aims at nothing is sure to hit it.

Yer same here poodroo, but the bullrouts are in my tank:O so i gotta watch out when its cleaning time, but they are pretty tame especially my big one (Ceaser)

Cammo
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

got spiked by a happy moment a few months ago up at noosa .
    had to post picture to find out what it was . bloody painfull all the way up to my shoulder . I mean what sicko named them a happy moment . twisted sense of humor I think . at least now I might know what to do the next time .
    cheers haggis .....................

worst pain i have had would have to be a saltwater cattie, stood on the top barb my foot swelled to the size of a ballon, couldn't walk on it for a month.happy moments they tickle a bit been getting hit by them since i was a kid.

ron.
    reels screamin aboard Hyper- Active

not a fish but my old boy got stung in the chest by a mangrove wasp. he could still feel the lump where it stung him 15 years later. he also described the pain as pretty intence