Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Pain inflicted by fish?

When I started reading this thread I was thinking that I'd never been spiked by anything, but the more I read the more I remembered. Here's my list:

At 16 - There was this large sea mullet I was going to use as bait that landed spines down on my foot. I still have one spine embeded in that foot.

At 18 - there was this young hunk of a fella who was taking this gorgeous looking babe for a swim on the beach when he stepped on a numbray. After leaping clear of waist deep water and then having to be towed back to the beach, by same babe, because that leg had gone to sleep, I was amazed that she agreed to see me again.

At 19 - I copied Wessel's experience by copping a handful of those long black urchin spines while chasing fish in Mauritius. Holy moley!! The pain!:eek: I had a swollen line of black dots across my palm for days afterwards.

At 21 - I wanted a lionfish for my aquarium and found two while diving. The second one had definite ideas about going into my scoop net. So what do you do? Chase it in with your hand of course. It didn't hurt too much to start with, but after a few hours my hand started to look like a collection of pork sausages. Hot water and huge amounts of alcohol seemed to fix the problem.

Since then, I've been a bit more careful about what I touch.

got stung under the thump nail by a small happy moment while cast netting . My whole arm throbed and ached for an hour. My thumb hurts just thinking about it

Hey poodroo,

The worst thing I've been done by was here on the Gold Coast. It's called a spot-banded scat. Caught a heap in my cast net, even used one as live bait, then a couple of days later caught some more and got spiked on the middle finger by the pectral spine. My finger swelled along with the back of my hand. It made my arm tingle and all the while I had a 'shooting pain' straight up my forearm. Thought it was going to be a hospital job, but kept fishing none the less. Its not overly painful, but it hurts enough and these damn things are aquarium fish!

My five secs of fame

Karve.

If you get a hit from a "happy " take out the eye of the fish that got ya' slice it open and rub it on the spot of the hit .. Sounds YUCKY but works VERY well I don't know if this works on other fish.. Hope this helps

Re: Pain inflicted by fish?

i no this is a old post but its a great read. i must be the unluckyest guy here. iv been stung by, scat, happy moments, stripy bandets, flattys,venus tusk fish (they hurt a bit) box jelly fish on my hand, blue bottle on my leg, ichie jelly fish on my chest(that was intence), i copped barb in my leg from a stingray. i had a gold band snappa spine right through my foot. i had a spanish mack slice my leg to the bone. a mud crab lached on to my ass. lots of oyster cuts to my feet. a fire worm stuck to my back(that was bad). i got a large fork tail cattie in my thigh. and a hook im my hand nose and lip and a fly in my ear. and a pikey bream stuck in my back(my mate chucked it at me). id say the fire worm and the boxie hurt the most as the pain was so intence. but the ichie jellys are murder. thats is all i can think of right now, no wait theres more. i had my hand sliced to bits from a squiral fish, and had a large prawn spike in my foot and hand. i got some bad luck but it dose not stop me. just keep flicken hehe
    figjam :wink:

That explains a lot Nuggs

Cheers

Dave

its all true, i kid you not

nothing to bad...... been stung a few times, cat fish, flat head and a happy moment(nothing happy about that). i know my next pain story is not from a fish but i'm going to tell it anyway.

all hurt but not as bad as when i was pro shooting and pigging in the 90y's. had a mate out from brissy one night chasing pigs. he tossed the pig with my dog on it but didn't want to stick it. so i stuck it, but because i was not on the pig but standing in a akward postion it got hold of my finger. well thats pain... he never let go until he was dead as and it seemed like 20 min but i'm sure it was only 1 or 2.know i have a bent finger..... then for near 2 months after evrytime i bumped me finger...f###@@ng ouch... ...... the pig dressed out at 54kg.

never have felt pain like it again....

Quote Originally Posted by nuggstar View Post
    i no this is a old post but its a great read. i must be the unluckyest guy here. iv been stung by, scat, happy moments, stripy bandets, flattys,venus tusk fish (they hurt a bit) box jelly fish on my hand, blue bottle on my leg, ichie jelly fish on my chest(that was intence), i copped barb in my leg from a stingray. i had a gold band snappa spine right through my foot. i had a spanish mack slice my leg to the bone. a mud crab lached on to my ass. lots of oyster cuts to my feet. a fire worm stuck to my back(that was bad). i got a large fork tail cattie in my thigh. and a hook im my hand nose and lip and a fly in my ear. and a pikey bream stuck in my back(my mate chucked it at me). id say the fire worm and the boxie hurt the most as the pain was so intence. but the ichie jellys are murder. thats is all i can think of right now, no wait theres more. i had my hand sliced to bits from a squiral fish, and had a large prawn spike in my foot and hand. i got some bad luck but it dose not stop me. just keep flicken hehe
    be more careful mate.....

Quote Originally Posted by nuggstar View Post
    Whats really amazing is that it all happened on his last trip.

little gray iv been working on boats most of my life so when you spend more time on the water than you do on land, you tend to bump it to a lot of nasty stuff. i have the scares to prove it

got stuck by a happy moment ( black trevally) once while i was carefully (not carefully enough) removing it from the hook, my hand throbbed like buggery for hours, the only thing i had in the boat was ice slurry, tried that but it don,t work, didn,t know about the hot water trick (not that i had any on board), now i just cut em off straight away. also see them for sale in the seafood shop, apparently the islanders love em. nice to know i,m not the only stupid one out there, cheers roy.

i fell onto a fork-tailed-catfish and i slipped and put my nee right on its spike

ouhhhh

i havent been stung much, only by catfish, blue bottles and happy moment.

My idiot friend thought it would be funny to throw a happy moment that he found on the ground and yer he threw it at me, and my first reaction was to put my hands out to stop it...Wrong reaction. although it didnt hurt much at all, lasted a whole 5 mins. Oh and i also got jellyfish slime in my eyes, now that bloody BURNS, my eyes were watering to keep the heat away!!!

Cammo
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

Touch wood ..... I've been pretty lucky so far !
    Last week a flatone drove the fine wire jig head into my thumb ( in & out) & except for the odd spine/cut ...... & a blue bottle sting while pulling up the anchor rope ....... no dramas

Nagg