Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crab pot run over by boofhead

Crab pot run over by boofhead

Whilst chasing some sandies with my kids the other morning we had our pots set out the mouth of Cabbage tree creek, A boat load of blokes came in from out in the bay and motored straight over the top of one of my floats # . It wasn't hard to see they just weren't paying attention. #Consequently the rope wrapped around his prop and eventually cut the line, so now the pot is lost, #if for any reason an ausfisher drags it up it is labelled with my name and details. #Please get in contact and I will gladly pick up and deliver sixpack of your choice as well. #

I gave up leaving pots out overnight and fishing out of sight of them because of thieves knocking them off at $40 a pop, but this just left me dumbfounded. #At least I got my float back because I buy the decent ones and these can get expensive after a while too.

Cheers Kev

Re: Crab pot run over by boofhead

Kev , know how you fell , some blokes have got no idea about ropes and how a slack tide can make the ropes go sideways to the normal flow

Good luck finding the pot , if someone finds it they will probably steal it .
    Unfortunate , but that seems to be how people behave now days .

Sam....

I had stolen 2X$60 pots before Xmas I know how you feel

Kev,

I feel for ya.. THAT SUCKS

Garry
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

get abit of rope and attach a big hook to the end of it, drag it along the bottom till u get the pot, thats wot the fella down the road did wen the same thing happened 2 him.

yep I know how you feel the same thing happen to me.so I ask a couple of mates who are pros and what they do is place weights on the rope about half way down enough weight for the float to float and most important all the excess rope is not also floating and drifting with the tide. so when a idiot does hit your float the rope goes nowhere near the prop as the float will bounce off the idiots boat and you still have your trap full of crabs. what I use is a 1/4 of a house brick and just tie it to the rope and it works a treat.

hope this all makes sense

LEN

Quote Originally Posted by slugo
    what they do is place weights on the rope about half way down enough weight for the float to float and most important all the excess rope is not also floating and drifting with the tide.
    This is a great way of doing it.

Even get some lead sheet and cut it into a nice size that you can wrap around your rope where you think you need it. An old timer taught me that trick.

sorry to hear about your pots mate. living on the noosa river i see this happen all too often. in the tourist season it may pay off to tie your pots to a tree on the bank to prevent it being ran over. good luck in future crabbing
    Tim

No offence intended.
    Was the pot in the middle of a channel? Was the Sun in an awkward place? The person driving the boat concentration may have been affected by the long day out or the bumpy trip back across the bay or other persons in the boat at the time. Im not a big fan of pots in channels where there is a lot of boat traffic as I have run over them a few times.
    cheers
    The Rainbowrunner
    Peter Hansler
    phansler@hotmail.com
    Click here for my webpage
    Click here for my videos

Give a man a fish, he'll eat it and fall asleep.

Teach a man to fish and he'll endanger an entire species

finga64

If you've lost a float down the pin way have a look on Kalinga banks near squire island. Last week there was 3 floats tangled up in the mangroves. They've been floating that long that the green stuff was growing on two foam floats (one had the remains of a trap, just a bit of orange mesh really) and an orange float had a phone number but it had too many numbers in the phone number for me to ring the owner.

was your float white???

i find the worst floats are milk containor and followed by any white floats as when you get a bit of a chop they become almost impossable to see at any type of speed

for mine i use meduim size foam bouys and painted them flouro orange
    and to be honest i have never had one knocked off yet

ROB80

have to agree with rainbow runner. had a similiar experience up near roys landing when we miss judged the run of the tide and got tangled in someones rope mid channel (not that the channel was very wide). We pulled the pot up, cut the rope and tied the ends together again b4 deep sixing it closer to the bank. Worse thing was we did a seal near the prop and cost a small fortune as water got in. hope the same thing happened to your boofheads

I agree, if you're putting your pots in the channel then you need to weight the line otherwise you have to accept the chances of losing pots. I use the cabbage tree creek entrance quite a bit and at low tide the channel becomes very narrow and I get really frustrated when I have to chose between avoiding a floating rope and hitting bottom.

JUST READ RAINBOWRUNNERS COMMENTS ON POTS IN CHANNELS. HAVE A THOUGHT FOR THE MAD KEEN FISHO THAT WANTS TO GO FISHING REAL EARLY, WITHOUT WRAPPING SEVERAL POTS AROUND HIS PROP. GUNDOG

sorry to hear about your CP kev. I have got lost CP's back throwing a deep diving lure with sharp trebels just behind (Tide direction) where i think the pot was and the lure hooks the rope and up she comes! to help seek some revenge i attach me floats with a meter of seven strand trace (30lbs) and then the rope makes a nasty mess of prop seals (even those woth line cutters) of anyone ingorant enuff to line up me floats.

E