Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Ways to prevent theft of crab pots

Re: Ways to prevent theft of crab pots

some good ideas in this post!
    over the years i have caught 3 persons in the act of checking my pots, i have always got the same reply when i fronted them
    " thought it was my pot". i never let my pots out of my sight, tho on one occassion this did nt even help, when 2 kids raced up to my pots, cut the crabs out of the nets then took off, my boat was 2 slow 2 catch them.
    i have also seen witches hats floating away when the rope catches 2 much weed and the tides drags them away. the shoalhaven is riddled with crab nappers.

Gidday all,

Pissed about pot theft also- but lets not go there.

My thought is the ink idea but bave the bomb placed in the float activated then the float is pulled hard - ie hooking the rope with the gaff and then pulling it into the boat. That is more force than the best of wake or waves surely.

to counter not wanting to get inked yourself have a second loop in the rope that you can safely gaff and pull into the boat without the ink explosion.

simple yet effective.

I know nothing about ink bombs but surely it couldnt be too hard to set up- could it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtysanchez View Post
    Chewy, maybe not, I have seen a pro near where my mate lives at River heads pull up pots, including mine and basically pull off the floats / tags and stack them on board his punt, then zoom off. Apparently one time someone had a go at him and his attitude was #uck you all, this is my livelyhood, how would you like it if someone came into your workshop and started taking your stuff ?
    so what did they do to him /,did they report him? /get the pots back?/get back at him/ or were they all too shit scared do do anything about it and just let it pass? .bob

Talking Re: Ways to prevent theft of crab pots

I have been so temped to just run my bow up over the transon of the crab pot theifs boat and sink him and let him swim home. I actually picnic onshore near my pots and I get to see who the theives are and there are many. I have now found an isolated place and my trap doesn't walk. I also get many crabs as no one else is there.

DPI and Fisheries are out there and in regards to commercial guys are laying data dotted traps and also crabs in pots that have a transponder in them. That along with camera evidence is going to catch some scum. Shame they don't have the $ to run that style of operation more often as neither can be seen by the naked eye.

Crab thieves - technology is catching up - we mark all our pots with a couple of hacksaw marks and a couple of other things and I'll recognise my pots and be able to identify them so if you are cuaght with them i will do the leagal mambo with fisheries on you.

If you do catch the pot thieves and are next to their boat cut the fuel line and they can row/float home.
    If they get violent and abusive threaten to ignite a flare and throw it in the boat with them.
    I believe they would back down very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by greenbeest View Post
    If you do catch the pot thieves and are next to their boat cut the fuel line and they can row/float home.
    If they get violent and abusive threaten to ignite a flare and throw it in the boat with them.
    I believe they would back down very quickly.
    I love it! Great Idea! You would want to make absolute sure that they are the ones - but if you seen it happen and caught them - I would have no trouble coming along side and slicing their fuel line going into their outboard... and driving off to let them savour my crabs...

I better not move over to Oz, I'd get extradited in no time, damn those crab pot stealing low life scum!

Quote Originally Posted by SandStorm View Post
    I better not move over to Oz, I'd get extradited in no time, damn those crab pot stealing low life scum!

No please do... I am over it! I am not a violent person - but As a student who loves fishing - I cant afford to keep buying new crab pots - and shouldnt have to. If I did catch someone doing it... ...... I wont say...... lol...

I've never been crabbing, but if i ever saw someone stealing my pots, I'd go over and kill them
    I Fish, I catch, I SNAG

Quote Originally Posted by pirate2540 View Post
    some good ideas in this post!
    over the years i have caught 3 persons in the act of checking my pots, i have always got the same reply when i fronted them
    " thought it was my pot". i never let my pots out of my sight, tho on one occassion this did nt even help, when 2 kids raced up to my pots, cut the crabs out of the nets then took off, my boat was 2 slow 2 catch them.
    i have also seen witches hats floating away when the rope catches 2 much weed and the tides drags them away. the shoalhaven is riddled with crab nappers.
    Now you have to have your details on the float they can't use that excuse anymore hey?
    Paulo

Along with my details,. . . I have also sprayed floro orange spots on my floats so that it's obvious for me to spot my own, and others know it's definetly not theirs.