Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ways to prevent theft of crab pots

Re: Ways to prevent theft of crab pots

fishos in mackay and prossy have been putting micro chips in muddies in pots and not waiting long for offenders. this should become common practise. good luck alby

i've heard of some people just marking the position of their crab pots with a gps and no float at all

Quote Originally Posted by keepitreel View Post
    I like the idea of hooks on the ropes but imagine if the fishos pulled your pots to check for name tags or whatever and ended up hooked. Geez you would be in some trouble!
    I have to agree with keepitreel. i'd say if the fishos had to pull a couple of hooks out of their hands for just doing their job i'd be pretty keen to track down the owner and it wouldn't be too hard with your name and contact details plastered all over it....

my two bobs worth

if you have every had pots pulled you will know the feeling
    i now cable tye the openings so i know if they have been touched
    my not help but i know its happened
    treble hooks and a besser brick works well in the dark of night even better when they feel the sting of the hook they let go and the brick takes over
    catch that on youtube and you would be a legend!!!!!!!!

fundi!!

We had pots raided in Corio Bay. The thieves had to get to them by tinny and then walk in on foot through knee deep mud to check them. Got crabs too (Different Knots on pots) Pricks.

Not sure how far the media took it but not long ago there was a fire arm used up there, shot at a pot thiefs boat, one shot hit the transom, the other over the bow. Not sure if that prick will check any more pots. Looks like the time is already here to take things into our own hands.

Jono.

RE WAYS TO PREVENT CRAB POT THEFT.
    Saw an article in the paper over easter about a bloke in Cairns going out to check his pots with his kids. One of his pots was missing and as he returned towards the ramp,spotted his pot in a hire boat and it had 2 large crabs in it. So, he confrunts the occupants and one bloke, a NSW real-estate salesman, threatens him with a knife. Naturally, with kids aboard he gives them a wide beart and returns to the hire-boat office. When our tourists returned the hire-boat, the police were waiting. The bloke has been charged with armed robbery of a crab pot. Bush Budah

well I have had many traps stolen I even seen some of the offenders not realising that they were changing the floats on our traps got some back but I really fantacise about just slowly closing in on them when they are on the run and riding the bow of my boat up on to the back of theirs and then let them swim home. Then on the other hand I am a bit short of crab bait. But seriously the best I have seen yet is a boat shed ripping of traps and selling the spoils at christmas and new year. I am a photographer as well with a 1000mm lens and each time I have seen these persons I had left my camera at home now I carry it all the time as I hate theives.

Can you explain this little beauty to me as I have had about eight pots stolen in 2 years. Any idea to keep these weapon heads away is good by me!!

yup same here, went up to agnes once, set the trap alas gone in the morning ,partner was fuming, just typical, happens in crescent head nsw all the time ,used to live there its war down that way behold get caught in them waters of crescent head and you have hell to pay , locals dont take too nicely to it i can tell ya that .

keep on fishing cheers weipa girl

Hi All I Reacon Razor Wire Or Barb Wire Around The Top Three Feet Of L Rope Would Slow Them Down A Bit

I am new to crabbing & used to leave my pots out over night. I used to get crabby (pardon the pun) when I pulled up a pot with no bait & no crabs thinking someone has been pinching my feed. No I realise crabs arn't silly & give them a good feed & a little time they can find their way out. A little off the topic but I thought I would put my two bobs in.

Quote Originally Posted by marlinqld View Post
    IMHO the only way to ensure they dont get stolen or raided is to keep them in line of sight of your boat at all times.

As we all know, this restricts wher you go once you drop them...... be nice if you could trust your fellow man to be honest and leave them alone.................. but these days that only appears to happen in fairy tales.
    Line of sight is right but make sure the sight has cross hairs and the sight is attached to something capable of punching a hole or several along the water line.

After that you have ready made pot bait that you can reset for a few days

I just bought half a dozen crab pots and I'm keen to get into a bit of crabbing when its to windy to get outside fishing.
    But just reading this thread has made me feel a bit demoralized .
    Are there really this many thieves in the world?
    Do these problems occur often or are people just angry because it has happened to them once or twice ?
    I thought my biggest problem would be the odd croc munching on the pots,trying to get at the bait or crabs!

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by uripper View Post
    excuse the ignorance ... why do pots get stolen ?
    they are - relatively large items, difficult to conceal, worth $5-$25 secondhand etc

the reason they get stolen is that they quite simply don't want to pay for them

Yeah, unfortunately Dirtysanchez is right in Qld booby trapping stuff like crab pot lines falls under "Setting a mantrap" Section 327 of the Criminal Code and carries a maximum penalty of 3 years in prison. It would be a bit hard to explain to fisheries why I have a dozen hooks tied along my crab pot line, the buggers would probably get me for long lining (don't know what section that is). I reckon big fast boat and accidentally sink them with your wake.

Chrysler75..........Kas