Thread: top Water flys for Perch...

Brett_Finger

top Water flys for Perch...

Oops i meant Bass
    what flys do you fellas use when chaseing these little suckers on the top?
    would like to try to nail a few
    Hookin, Brett

Re: top Water flys for Perch...

Howdy Brett
    I use a few types. Can you add pictures to posts??
    dahlbergs, muddlers are great, any small foam heads. I also love using a wool head pattern i tie that can be fised just below the surface, this is a very effective technique when they wont commit to full surface. I well send you an email with pics

Take a geezer at my fly box next time were perch fishin mate. All too easy really, at the right times tho.
    Perch, bass, whatever, same difference. *G*
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Brett,

Like alot of things with fishing its all genralisations, but overall anything that sits in the surface film will give you a better hook-up rate than those that will sit on the surface film but these may not give you the bloop you need to get the basses attention. Have to use a fly that will match their mood. I like to use flys that incorperate spun deer hair. Cicada beetle and hopper imitations will also work if the bass are being a bit fussy.

cheers

Simon.

Brett_Finger

Fellas,
    Thanks for the advise fellas, will be on the lookout for flys in the shops..
    Basser, look foward to ya e-mail
    hookin,Brett

Already sent it ???

Brett_Finger

Basser am haveing trouble with my mail will check today again.
    Hoookin,Brett

Geez BF l go away for ten minutes and your already getting tips for perch fishing you must have settled in for the long haul got yourself a bass rod and 5 or 6 weight fly rod yet,l'd better hurry back and knock some sense into you boy comon snap out of it

Trav

Ps only got two jack yesterday morning a 42 and 47 sorry had to throw that in

Quote Originally Posted by travis
    Geez BF l go away for ten minutes and your already getting tips for perch fishing you must have settled in for the long haul got yourself a bass rod and 5 or 6 weight fly rod yet,l'd better hurry back and knock some sense into you boy comon snap out of it

Trav

Ps only got two jack yesterday morning a 42 and 47 sorry had to throw that in

You'd better listen to Trav, Big Fella. After all, he did catch a bass on his first cast with a surface fly. Must have been something to do with the tuition.

Yeah, hurry back Trav, we really miss you
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Have you give the gurgler pattern ago yet?

fished on an itermediate line they do okay on the toga, they are similar to bass in surface feeding mode

I like using foam head stuff cause I crack the poo's real quick with a wet dailberg that is bloop less.

A gurgler is a foam backed wolly bugger.

Muz

Brett_Finger

Muzz,
    nah mate havn't tryed that yet, how go the Milkfish on the wand up there in sunny old Darwin ?
    Hookin, Brett

The milk fish go for miles and miles mate!

Best fight so far was just on an hour 10 times in to the backing (like just about all of it chasing the fishin the boat).
    Only to pull the hook and watch the fish swim away as if never hooked. They are just about impossible to turn on a 6/7 weight. Best fish landed so far is 80cm to the fork would have pulled the scales at just under 10kg we reckon but I am gamon at weights.

Best fish I have ever tangled with on fly out of the 15 species I have caught so far on the long wand.

Standard fight seems to be between 45 mins to an hour with the backing being seen on the first run every time so far. We have had to chase all fish hooked cant do it at anchor. Had a double hook up last thursday, in a 13ft punt, fly boxes every where on the floor, had the pick set, and both reels deep in to backing. It is pretty hard pulling an anchor with one hand only holding a full loaded rod peeling line.

Muz