Thread: 10 wt fly rod

10 wt fly rod

A while back I was lucky enough to win an alvey fly reel (thanks steve, ausfish and alvey)
    I need a rod for it. I am not into fly enough to fork out for a strudwick or loomis. I have 2 options
    I buy a 10 wt or roll my own.
    Can anyone recommend a rod or blank that won't cost me an arm and a leg but is reasonable quality?
    cheers
    dazza

Re: 10 wt fly rod

g'day dazza,

i had a play with a matrix 10/11 (bluewater or something i think) the other week and it was great. It cast like a dream, was pritty light, and had heaps of grunt in the butt. only got to catch a couple of mac tuna on it but i would recomend one. I cant remember exactly how much they go for but i think its around the 200-300 buck mark (but dont quote me on that!)

so if you have that much to spend have a cast of one and see what you think.

cheers, justin

Thanks Justin,
    I'll check em out. I have a Matrix 8 wt and it is very nice. I am only a hucker, and a pretty ordinary one at that. Thanks for the info
    dazza

Dazza,

I'd have to agree with Justin, about the Maxtrix Innovator Bluewater 10/11#.

I had a fish of a mates, I fact I landed the 1st fish on it. I was using a SA 11# intermediate striper flyline.

It seems to cast alright and enough to subdue a average Mac Tuna.

Its not a Loomis GLX Mega, but then what is

Wes

Thanks guy's,
    Wes you said it is enough to handle an average mac tuna. I will be using it for chasing longtails,GT's, spaniards etc. I fish a bommie that is lousy with golden trevalley (around 10kg) cobia and spaniards, is the 10/11 enough or should I be looking more to a 12wt. The last time I threw the 8wt at something finning up the creek I got spooled!! Dunno that it was ?big salmon ??trevalley of some sort or ??permit (I wish). Geez it took off and there was no way on earth I was going to land that fish. I have done bugger all fly fishing, but cannot resist having a crack at it when these speedsters are swimming around under the tinny.

Cheers Dazza

i think that the 10/11 should be ok, just fish heavy tippets (not over 35lbs but, otherwise you might start braking fly lines) and mad max specials - lead core shooting heads with the cheapest running lines you can find. This way losing fly lines to fish isnt ganna hurt you or your pack pocket as much.

The matrix bluewaters have heaps of guts in the butt so i dont think you will have to much trouble just keep the pressure on and take it slow. Otherwise shop around and cast a few 12wts in your price range, and take the one you like best!

thats the most important thing, having a rod that is a pleasure for YOU to cast (not the tackle shop dealer) and one you want to fish with all day.

happy hunting and cant wait for the pics mate!!!!

cheers, justin

Thanks Justin,
    unfortunatley the closest tackle shop is 1000km south. That may or may not be a good thing
    I have to rely on advice from others, especially when it comes to fly as I know jack shit, learning is part of the fun.
    Thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated. Might have to wait till I head back down south for hols in July
    cheers
    dazza

Dazza,

If you are fishing around bommie for big fish, I'd suggest getting the biggest rod you can comfortably cast for an extend period. You have to get the fish under control pretty quickly or you are going to lose a flyline.

I landed this cobia on a 20lb tippet 11# after 40 minutes.

I was lucky it was over a sandy bottom and there was nothing for the fish to wrap me around. I've tackled Golden Trevally with a 9#, but that was on the sand flats.

I'm off to Rowley Shoal WA later this year to do a bit of bommie bashing, and I'm not going undergunned. I'm not taking anything lighter than a 11#. And my elephant gun is a Loomis Nautikos 13-15#(this is a true bluewater rod, I've heard to angler using this rod to subdue longtails in less than 10 minutes with this rod). You can not cast a 15# for long, I can do about half an hour maybe.

I'd suggest you get a fish fighting rod rather than a casting rod. A lot of 12# are design for atlantic tarpon(those 200lb monster in shallow water) and do not have the balls that a rod designed for billfish and tuna have.

I suggest a 12# or heavier with a fighting butt and a lot of backbone if you are going after big G.T.(Giant Trevally).

You may get away with lighter rod if you tease/burley the fish away from the bommie before cast the fly at them, and a bit of tricky boat handling. I suggest you try using LC13 shooting heads(they are cheaper than full flylines).

Better to be overgunned than undergunned.

Where abouts are you fishing?

Wes

Have a look at Talon ###### at the Rods they have.

http://www.ausiefly.com.au/RODS.htm

I can tell you recently I purchased a 7ft 4wt rod and its *excellent*

Good Luck

Rosso.

Thanks guys
    I think I will wait and get something when I go back down south for holidays soon.
    Gee Wez that is heavy duty, it sounds a bit painful to me. I'm up on Cape York- fishermans heaven 8) 8) 8)
    Cheers
    Dazza

Dazza,

Where abouts on the Cape York.

Western side of Cape York is fantastic flyfishing area. I'll have to get back up there in the near future. The Gulf has such a variety of fly munching species.

I got the cobia north of Weipa. I used my Loomis GLX 10/11# mega all the time. Its light enough to cast all day, and handled all the fish OK.

I think the Innovator 11# will do the job up there. Though there are some big G.T. around the beacons leading into Weipa. I got blown away a few times.

Wes

Hi Wes,
    I am at Bamaga (the tip of cape york) we head south down the west coast. Some pretty amazing country.
    Unfortunatley the Loomis Mega are a bit out of my price range, I probably don't do enough fly to justify the outlay. I want to get a little electric first so will have to start with a very entry level 10/11#
    Cheers
    Dazza

Hi, I would seriously suggest you get a Temple Fork 12 weight, it's cheap, performs, is very light and very fast taper. Just what you need and somewhere in the 300 class and is on a par with the high priced brands. Does not have fancy fighting grips etc, but is a bloody good rod. Cheers Max

Check the pic on "guess who" post, thats a TFO 12.