Thread: New reel string.

New reel string.

Just a quick thought re reel design and Poony's enjoyable post.

Had no problem with most of the solutions outlined in the post.

Our assumption to date has been that metal should be the material of choice in a saltwater reel which is really making life hard for ourselves. We are trying to preserve this material (titanium aside) in an enviroment which is more than a little hostile. Seems it would make more sense to seriously investigate the use of machinable plastics which have no adverse reaction to the chemical soup we call the sea. There are of course a number of techincal problems associated with plastics (heat disipation without creep and a poblematic associated rate of expansion) but think it could well be worth investigation. Have made some short pushrods out of a machinable plastic called Torlon that was light in weight, strong, heat resistant and self lubricating.

Interested in any thoughts/suggestions on the topic?

Cheers,

Chris

Re: New reel string.

Chris, I agree with you that plastics offer a lot of advantages, I think that we will see big changes in reel designs, with plastics/composites and ceramics matrixes playing a big part.
    At the moment I think that the general public has this feeling that plastics/ composites, are not good especially when it comes to reels. But this shouldn’t be so , a look at the Aussie Alvey beach reel is proof that in proper design, materials other that metals can be advantageous.
    Issues such as weight in fly reel could be over come with the use of these materials. As manufacturing processes improve and the cost of the space age materials comes down I think the use of metal will diminish more.

Poony.

Personally, and I know nothing about this really, a fly reel is very simple technology and we seem to be trying to build the Empire State building to do about the same job as a cow shed.
    I have this belief that in most cases the product on our shelves is over rated, over priced and unfortunately over here.
    Considering the advent of auto machines about 8 bodies and spools can be knocked out in a few minutes and considering the material the need to make things lighter only increases the effort and cost.
    I think we are being taken to the laundry anyway. For the record another very high priced reel has recently failed the Max spool test,
    the hole edges are 90 degree and very sharp. Its a grand a pop.
    The more I see of wonder reels the more I like OF, it doesn't pretend to be bloody marvellous, just works very well.
    But then I something of a dill, I think.
    Cheers Max

Quote Originally Posted by Maxg
    Personally, and I know nothing about this really, a fly reel is very simple technology and we seem to be trying to build the Empire State building to do about the same job as a cow shed.
    I have this belief that in most cases the product on our shelves is over rated, over priced and unfortunately over here.
    Considering the advent of auto machines about 8 bodies and spools can be knocked out in a few minutes and considering the material the need to make things lighter only increases the effort and cost.
    I think we are being taken to the laundry anyway. For the record another very high priced reel has recently failed the Max spool test,
    the hole edges are 90 degree and very sharp. Its a grand a pop.
    The more I see of wonder reels the more I like OF, it doesn't pretend to be bloody marvellous, just works very well.
    But then I something of a dill, I think.
    Cheers Max
    At last someone who makes sense!!!
    Overpriced is the key issue.
    Flyreel technology is as basic as it comes when you look at them from an engineering point of view.
    The distributors and manufacturers would have you believe the high tech alloy machining is expensive and time consuming. HAAA! Max is correct when he states they knock em out in a few seconds in a CNC milling machine.

I recently traced a high priced flyreel back to the manufactures, (BTW, this was in China) and found that each individual component is supplied by 12 separate Chinese manufacturers which are contracted out by the reel manufacturer. The 12 small manufacturers supply these parts at a ridiculously low rate.
    Cost price of reel in Aus....$450. Approx cost of components in China...US$15 (Aust $30 odd)

Mmmmmm, wonder whose making the profit?

Randall.

And I'm the guy who gets it in the neck if I have anything at all to say about high priced reels. Confirmation of this stuff is right in front of us. Just look at the Penn 50W's and the price tags in shops. They are not 1500 buks but they are 5000% up in technology.
    Fact is the best Swoffer in the country the magic man Ronald, if you mention drags, says "watsadrag?".
    So worrying about fancy drags is just that worrying.
    Of course we need better materials, non corrosive types, and we need better designs, and every fly reel out there should be multimode.
    Lets face facts the rods are cheap, hi class stuff, reels, good ones are also cheap, GsP is dear, but LC13's aren't and you can catch most fish on reasonably priced gear. You do not need to spend thousands.
    The bull dust out there is like the local abbatoir, full to the brim of crap. Max
    ps Thats my honest opinion, not for discussion or debate. Cheers.

I thought I'd pop this up there, just for laughs. Mind you the holes are relatively small, but what if they did have sharp edges, or drilling scarf or thinner GsP, thats 50lb. Max