Thread: Pop Lips

Pop Lips

If anyone is interested, a guy on another board asked about gold bombers and another asked about swimming flies. Well Bob Pokovics has a thing called Poplips which has a bib. It is a largish fly, just right for barra, yellow, try gold, and the pic says it all. Bob also has a book out on his fly patterns, you might try that.

Re: Pop Lips

G'day Max

looks tops mate. what are they like to cast? they look pretty bulky. . . i reckon the would b great. . . u don't happen to know where i can get a couple do ya? ???

thanks

CJ

full working instructions inFly Fisherman December 1994. Golly thats 8 years ago, Got an email addy. Max

Someone handed me one of these poplips (or a very good copy) the other day, look like they'll do the job on alot of fish.
    Can get the same action from wiggle minow variants.

fitz
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Bob Popovics fly tying videos are well worth a look too. He ties the pop lips in one of them. The lip is formed using silicone.

Mr garth could you please email me the info on the poplips thing...

you can put a bit of beer can in a crease fly also for fun...

Great fly. Bob Popovics gave me some a coupla years back. I wore them out but not before donging a goodly number of mulloway, barra and greenfish. Perfect for night time situations when yuou want something with a mullet like profile that you can slowly waggle across the top.

I reckon they would be perfect for those lakefield barra, casting them around the crossing and watching them get boofed down..
    lakefield was pretty quiet this year, but we did manage to have a close call with a 15 foot lizard that was very hungry.

Harro do you know of any guys giving the surface type flies a work out in the impoundments with any luck..?
    Especially with barra.
    As most i know of seem to take the approach of getting their flies down deeper,

Just thinking it might be worth while trying to stirr these fish up a bit and attract them with a bit of surface action. Although on the lure side we haven't really had any success with the fizzers on these fish in the dam.

Would love to see a big Tinaroo or Faust fish inhale a popper off the top. #
    Hope to get back up to Tinaroo an have a go at these fish on fly once the water warms up again.

Kind regards #Poony

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Ooi
    Harro do you know of any guys giving the surface type flies a work out in the impoundments with any luck..?
    Especially with barra.
    As most i know of seem to take the approach of getting their flies down deeper,

Just thinking it might be worth while trying to stirr these fish up a bit and attract them with a bit of surface action. Although on the lure side we haven't really had any success with the fizzers on these fish in the dam.

Would love to see a big Tinaroo or Faust fish inhale a popper off the top. #

Kind regards #Poony
    Poon, I saw Harro get a estimated 50 pounder on a popper at Faust. Had to charge the boat into some trees chasing it after it bricked him. We were trying to net it off the tree it was wrapped around (about 2 feet down) when it tore free. # BIG fish. # That happened on a day when absolutely nothing else was getting a look in.

Cheers,

Fitzy..
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au

Ron Pearson has a technique that works. You use a full line, sinker, and a very big, lot of fevvers, deceiver ,white. Cast the fly into the muck, letit sink a bit, pull the line straight and just give the rod a hefty flip of the tip. Do it three times and put it back in there. NO barra after 3 casts; no barra there. You might try that. Or gurgle a bit. Max