Thread: New fly fisher

New fly fisher

??? I have tackled saltwater fishing for two years with not much success, mainly due to weather conditions and location. However, I love fiddling, and find it difficult to et the rod up and read a book as many I know do, including my husband. I have just started using lures, and I find this fun, however the areas I have access to are pretty bogged with snags, and after losing a few, it is becoming very expensive. I thought maybe fly fishing would be an alternative. What are looking at for your basic set-up? About how much does it cost? and how does it compare in strike rate to bait fishing? I know of a lot of lakes that are shelted by the weather, and thought I might have more success with a fly approach. Spawn

Re: New fly fisher

Dear Ms Spawn
    I assume you are talking about Trout Fishing.
    Yes, you will get snagged less with a fly.
    Basic set, rod, reel and line along with a couple of flies and a leader,$280.00.
    The strike rate to bait fishing, depends on about 1000 factors, some time yes, sometime no.

However the strange thing with fly fishing is, you don't have to catch a fish to have a wonderful day, as the casting is a sport all unto its self.

My suggestion would be, contact a Flyfish or casting Club in your local area and ask them for a few quick lessons and or advice.
    This is by far the cheapest and best way to start.

If you have trouble finding the above, feel free to contact me and we will point you in the correct direction

Kind regards
    Barry Ryan

Gday "Spawn"
    Here's an offer.
    I teach the Lefty Kreh casting system and a litany of tips and shortcuts on a professional basis. Between grip, stance and hand/arm bio-mechanics it
    is the superior energy-efficient manufacturing base for making every kind of fishing cast, brown trout to black marlin. Casting is a lot like golf; for a maximum result every one of the 14 allowable clubs can be and are played a little differently using the same fundamentals.
    As a way of putting something back
    into a sport that's been so good to me, I do a few cost free sessions with beginners. I live on the north side of Brisbane but regularly visit interstate capitals and provincial centres.
    If it suits, give me a hoy.

Scott_Mitchell

Spawn:Flyfishing is another "fun" way of catching a fish - and you don't always have to catch them to just enjoy being out there casting.

As Rod has already mentioned casting is the real key - and if you can tee him up it would be a great start for you

As far as outfits go - I imagine your chasing saltwater species and bass in impoundments mainly ??? If so an 8 / 9 wht outfit would cover all your options.You can get into an a reasonable quality outfit for around $400.00 rigged ready to go backed with a 5 year warrenty

There are also some very good books and video's available to help get you started -

Book:"Saltwater Flyfishing Fundamentals" by Peter Morse.

Video:"Flycasting with Lefty Kreh".

Flyfishing is a pretty addictive part of our sport - and can be very rewarding 8)

Let me know if we can be of any further assistance.

Regards Scotto

Spawn - take up harros offer ASAP.

After a few lessons with him my casting went from working my arse off for mid-distance casts, to long distance casts with very little effort. I think about half the boys on this site will back me up saying that harro is not only one of the finest casters in Australia, but a great teacher as well.

A few hours with him and you will be casting like a pro!

cheers and best wishes, justin

Thanks everyone, that advice is great and I will take up the offer if in Melbourne. Thanks for the resources, and I am sure I will love it!