Thread: saltwater fly

saltwater fly

Hello everyone
    Me and my father are about to enjoy the experiencing of saltwater flyfishing.If anyone could tell me where some good places to start fish around southern morten bay would be much apreciated.
    Thanx
    Tim

Re: saltwater fly

Anywhere in water Tim :-)

Seriously though, it appears that several people have read this post but no-one wants to say anything.

Saying that, I am assuming your starting out in fly-fishing? well thats good. Its a great thing.

Well I don't come from where you are (I am actually in Brisbane) but the only place I have fly-fished in saltwater was/is at Beachmere.

Why you say I fish here? Well two reasons, one is that a guy keeps inviting me, and secondly its a nice place to get started. Its a lagoon that would be about...perhaps 10 feet deep rather wide, but the best part of it is thats its kinda sheltered.

In a nutshell Tim, I am saying that you should look out for places that are calm, semi protected and very little or NO trees! (yes i have photos of guys who have had flyline stuck in the trees - and I have done it once as well :-) )

Believe it or not, the best fly to start is the humble bread fly! if the water is calm enough then you burly up with day old bread and fling the sucker in the middle of the rolls and whatnot. Sure to get a bit of a hookup at one time or another :-)

I am more of a freshwater fisherman nowdays so its been a while since i have really got stuck into the salt. However, good luck to you and your father.

Cheers

Rosso.

Hi tim you can fish the same places that you would fish with bait,try sandy shalow water that drops to deeper hole or a gutter,with intermidiat slow sinking tip line, or fish where there are snags or rocks,I dont know that area but I fish the goldcoast and I fish anywhere,good luck with your fishing.
    regards vince.

Thaks for that guys should het us started. Ya we are new to the fishing rosso so it should be a good experience. Thanks againg.

Tim

Jack_Lives_Here

As many would say Tim - Welcome to the dark side.

lol ya should be all fun and games

There are other places than lagoons and estuary flats. try ocean rocks, groynes and wharfs. Its supposed to be "salt water" fly fishing, not brackish water fly fishing. But it is just another method of catching fish. You did not mention tackle, but I suggest you have a goodly think about what you need to cover a wide area of operation. A 9 weight Templefork rod will do just about everything you could imagine, its light, easy to cast and very good and very cheap. Class quality for not much. Cheers have fun. Max

thanks for the tip max. with the rod department we where looking a a 6 to 7 weight rod. thats what all the tackle stores keep tellin us. as we are biginers we don't have a lot of mone to put into the gear. just the experience of fly will be good.
    Thanks
    Tim

The tackle stores are interested in selling you things, but try the TFO 9 weight. It will do just about everything, now, tomorrow and the years up ahead.
    You can use it everywhere and ii will be great for bream , tailor and whatever. Get a 4 inch LA Okuma reel to fit on it and some backing and a WF10I line. Have fun. Max

Tim,

I'd agree with Max about getting a heavier rod.

8/9# is good for estuary. 6/7 may be a bit light when the wind picks up(the wind always picks up when you have a flyrod in your hand).

I like swoffing around the Broadwater and Tweed River. Hard clean sand. Spring/Summer is a good time to target flathead.

Wes

hey max do u know of an australian site that has prices of the templefork rods. cos i am interested in them and can't fined any tackle store on the net that stocks them.
    thanks
    tim

I do but your Email does not work. OK Max