Thread: basic realistic Aussie fly tyers guide?

basic realistic Aussie fly tyers guide?

G,day all
    have just started in the fly fishing scene so i am currently relegated to store bought flies. can anyone recommend a decent fly tying guide for the real world that i can use to get me started in tying for myself. the type of things i have noticed in countless books that turn me off is instruction in how to wrap particular deer hair or tie in a special type of hackle only found on antartic chooks or other such rubbish. while this might have its place i have to admit that i would belong to the school of fly tying that recomends certain breeds of dog over others. or how to shave the neighbors persian for that special wafty body.
    any advice (ps if any readers are RSPCA i am only joking about the persian, well maybe)
    cheers

Re: basic realistic Aussie fly tyers guide?

I'd try and get hold of any of the Lefty Kreh videos.

Down to earth and full of good ideas. I believe that he has writen several books as well, but I reckon that the video's would be the way to go.

If its salt water flies look at www.anglingateway.com. the SWF section has a few useful things. Max

Quote Originally Posted by Maxg
    If its salt water flies look at www.anglingateway.com. the SWF section has a few useful things. Max
    Hey Max,
    Welcome back mate.
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Scott_Mitchell

Landi:If your tying saltwater flies - then Lefty Kreh's video is very good - along with Mick Halls saltwater fly tying video.Both of these take your step by step through the most popular patterns - and alow you to refer back to them time and time again

For general freshwater tying Skip Smiths book "Flytying made clear and sipmle" is ecellent, and also has a video to back it up.

Regards Scotto

imported_admin

Landy1

You can view a range of Fly books and videos on Ausfish at http://www.ausfish.com.au/books/index.html

All the books and videos suggested are listed there.

Good afternoon Landy1
    I would suggest you take your self down to your local library and look into their collection of videos and books, if you cannot find what your looking for, ask the staff to 'get-in' a few suitable books and videos.

Then when you discover what you require, buy a copy.

Kind regards
    Barry

G'day all
    thankyou for your kind suggestions. i was doubtful of videos but it seems many of you have had good experience with them so i will take that onboard. excellent tip on the library too. how come i didnt think of that, DOH.
    cheers

Landi,While at Carindale shopping centre this morning I spotted a book on basic fly tring. Ican not remember the book shop name but it is on the top level next to HMV music. It looks like what you are looking for.
    Cheers Lennie

landy1
    There are only really three or maybe four patterns in word of flyfishing .

1. White Deceivers
    2. Clousers
    3. Crazy Charlie
    4. Surf Candies

There are probably enough variants on main patterns that could send you around the twist [img].http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm44.gif[/img]

Just stick to a handful of patterns and sizes and colours.

Stuie