Thread: new type of fly?

new type of fly?

two weeks ago we were fishing for queenies in the seaway they were all around but very hard to take the fly, we managed to hook a couple I filleted one [good tucker as raw sushimi] than I decided to use the skin as fly body, finished product looked very good pity I don,t have a scanner to attach to this, anyway I went and tried it, it was very succesful the fish kept hitting the fly till it got hooked, as before one hit and they lost interest, I don,t know if this is the first fly made like this or someone else allready done it.
    regards to all vince.

Re: new type of fly?

Vince,

Think it's been done before, used to be called bait fishing.

Cheers,

Chris.

It has been done before, doubled over Queeny skin tied on a hook. Not up to straight white deceivers through. Nothing is new, this sport has been going on foe 2000 years, at least. Max

Chris is right, its called bait. My gramps used to use rubber bands to hold grass hoppers and Bardis too the hook, He must of been a flyfisher too. Matt

The whole conundrum of what is a fly and what is not ,is a difficult one. And some where in between we feel bound by these imaginary lines, or unsaid rules that dictate the meaning of flyfishing.
    You use a feather and it becomes a fly, you use the flesh and its bait , he distance between bait and fly is a very small one, the outside covering of an animal it a fly, and the inside its bait.Is not a feather no more than a bit of a chicken.?

We all draw our own lines in the tidal sands, so don’t ever feel that you have to conform to the standards of others, the first and foremost aspect of fishing is enjoyment ,and that is whether we fish dry’s on a lake in the Tassie high lands or throw bits of skin at queenies.
    There is heaps other materials and fly patterns that’ll take queenies and as Max said the white deceiver is an excellent one.

In the end Vince just have fun.

Steve Ooi

We have been through this just about every year since 1960 or earlier.
    I was told then that the big poppers I used were not flies, since they were not insect imitations. I said then it was bull and it still is. A fly fishing outfit was designed to cast a very light lure, and flies are lures, and have been since 2000bc. There are two things to use to catch fish, bait and lures, and lures can be anything not classed as bait, but a bait is a lure because it is used to lure fish so that one may catch them.
    There are no new flies, just variations of themes, or ideas, and we should just forget the "fly" is some kind of magic gadget theory, because we as a tribe did not invent fly fishing. That was done by birds which used real insects, seeds. bits of twig, or their own feathers to bring fish withing stabbing range. Very early humans watched this and duplicated it, so that they could spear the things. ergo fly fishing.
    Fly lines are elongated sinkers and fly rods are just fishing rods, very old design gadgets at best.
    Whatever you hang on a fly rod is a lure, and thems the facts. So basically people who fly fish are nothing special and and the whole deal is just another way of catching fish using very light lures.
    I remind fly anglers that when I came up with fly rod Mr Twisters, I got blasted, but to day twister type "flies" are the norm for bream.
    And the Queenfish skin thing I used was probably the same as those folded foam flies. Interesting but silly subject. Max

I agree with you Max, for the sake of all fly fishers let say only the dry flies are classed as fly fishing because thats what it is imitating.
    although my fly had some fly material as well but it is imitating a bait fish like all the other flies.
    cheers vince.