Thread: Estuary Flies

Estuary Flies

As a new fly fisher I need some advice on the best type, size and colour of flies to be using in the estuaries of South East Qld. Obviously Flathead, Bream etc would be the targets. Also the best type of fly line to be using wading the sandbanks and casting the drop offs into 2-3m of water.

Re: Estuary Flies

The best fly for flathead around SE QLD is the Bob Clouser's deep minnow(aka clouser).

I don't know if colour is important, but I stick to yellow, chartruese, and pink.

I use an intermediate flyline, 2-3 meter leader. Its important to get the fly right down to the bottom.

Send me a email with your address, and I'll send you a couple. What weight rod are you fishing?

I'm tying up some clousers for the Hervey Bay Goldern Trevally.

Wes

Shrimp patterns are also handy in this neck of the woods if the fish are shyor the water is too clear. Popavics "Ultra Shrimp" is my fave, however most shrimps snag fairly easly. Clouser is no1 for the flattys however. M Quinn

Thanks for the help and offers guys. much appreciated.

Sporty

You cant go past a crazy charlie in clear, pink, red or green ( i have all the colours of the rainbow).

I prefer a unweighted fly slower action to the bottom but easy casting.

Stuie