Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suitable Fly Reel

Re: Suitable Fly Reel

Yes, tried an Alvey boat reel a 6 inch one, with the back removed and the spool machined down to 5 inches and stuffed into a worked over aluminium saucepan. Probably the first 5 inch fly reel in Oz. Bloody awful. tried a smaller boat reel but the fly line got caught under those wire line guides.
    They still have those things, but some people have used sidecasts with some sort of success, if you call it that. Max

Some of the new ones look pretty clean as regards places to snag line.

5" $64

4.5" $40

Try finding a fly reel for $20 with these features, star drag, 4" wide.

Look Alveys reels have their place in the sun, there isn't another reel in their class that competes, but fly reels use large diameter lines which are effectively loose on the spool during casting, and that is why fly reels have frames, which prevent that line falling off in loops. Which is why side cast reels don't do much for SWF. Because a fly line, nominally a lead core head, or any shooting head, is a elongated sinker you could probably cast it off a side cast, without having any running line off the reel. It would introduce twist but might be the answer to very long fly rods line management problems, Maybe. Cheers Max

You are probably on the money Max. Fly lines would likely coil and start falling off since they are not contained within a frame.

Max what did become of that piece of history the saucepan, I bet it's a real talking point ,Aussie ingenuity .

Steve (Poony) Ooi

Quote Originally Posted by lordy
    If you don't expect to see backing you can get by with a $10 reel, I've got one.
    Interesting...where did you get this $10 reel from?

Ah! the Alveysaus, rather a Dinosaurus really. Was much too heavy, cumbersome and overloaded the 12# Femwick. I ditched it, dunno where it might be, probably buried somewhere in the Carnarvon rubbish dump. I got a Feurer FB480 Taurus a/r
    History, ah dunno, inginuity, rather more foolishness born from inexperience and a desire to have a reel.
    Ron was more practical, he got a Hardy Marquis Salmon No 2 which was what I should have had.
    Still it was fun, and a caught, and lost, a lot of fish. Max

Quote Originally Posted by Rosso

Interesting...where did you get this $10 reel from?
    It an Eagle Claw. Click drag only. Got mine for $9.95 at one of the fishing tackle shows. Really is a cheap reel. Made of mostly of a hard plastic not a metal. At least it won't rust!

A friend saw one go toe to toe with some longtail tuna. Manage to nail 2 good ones before it started melting and warping! For $10 you could catch 300 tuna for the price of a flash reel, and thats not including interest etc.

If you just want something to hold line for estuary and dam, get a cheapy and spend the $ on a rod and line. Then when you feel the need get something like the Fenwick River Runner, which would be a nice reel for smaller tunas and other fish that need a drag.