Thread: fly line

fly line

I've had my fly rod for a short amount of time and have only had 1 cast of it. I have intermediat sinking line and it feels really heavy. I was wondering if this is the norm with most sinking lines as the flowting line feels so light. Any reply is much apreciated. Thanx
    Tim

Re: fly line

Hi Tim

A intermediate is fairly different to a floater smaller diameter and the fact it sinks.

Things like picking the line up to cast again is different. You have to learn and more importantly experience the differnce in the line.

If your just learning maybe stick with the floating line until you get your casting into a fine art.

Cheers
    Stuie

thanks Stuie for the info. i might just have to buy some of the lighter stuff. thanxs
    Tim

Firstly I guess we should maybe ask what weight rod you have and what weight line. There are some basic rules and some basic specifications for fly lines. Firstly the weight rating is set by the AFTMA and it is based on the weight in grains of the first 30' of the level portion of a Double taper line. If you are casting a Double Taper line you will normally have more than 30 feet out of the runners, and a 9 foot length up the runners. This is all load on the rod. Therefore you will need a weight greater than that 30' feet to load it. Ideally you should go up one weight if using Weight foward lines, floaters or sinkers. So that if you had a 10# rod you should use a 11# weight foward line. The idea is to reduce the length of line you need to have out of the runners and the amount of false casting you need to do. But in any case, you should match the line to the rod, and an intermediate line should be not much heavier than a floater, it sinks but only slowly.
    Anyway you might get a bok on the subject and read the things on fly lines and the ratings. Cheers Max

Hi,
    you might have too much line out. Start with only 30 ft until you get a feel for it and start to get your timing right. But even 30 ft can feel heavy if you get it wrong. Timing is everything.
    R

Thanks everyone for writting. I have just got some flowting line so i'll give it i go. i haven't thrown the intermediat out just in case i need it in the long run. I think the problem was that when i try and pick the line up out of the water it is so much harder because its on the botem. I was talking to the guy in the tackle shop and he also sugested using the flowting to learn how to cast properly on first, then get into the intermediat. And also i am only fishing in shallow esteries and maybe go for some freshwater fish in the dams. Thanks againg to everyone who replied.
    fun fishing
    Tim