Thread: Fireline

Fireline

Has anyone done any tests on Fireline as far as breaking strain is concerned. Can you quote line test and fracture point. like 20/30/50lb, cheers Max

Re: Fireline

Never done a test but I read a report in a magazine where they tested it. It broke well above its breaking strain that I remember. I use 8lbs i think it is on my little spinning rod for throwing lil metals around. Caught a nice reef shark with it in heavy rock and coral and it dragged it out no probs.

Thats my only experience, I can't recall the article sorry, but I do remember it was well over the B/S

SNELLY

Max, Not sure on the breaking strains but having used it before and knowing what you use braid for ie up the inside of braided mono, I think it should be pretty good in that it is quite stiff compared to the BB that you are using thus making a better running line .

try doubling the marked breaking strain. Looking at Geoff Wilson's knot book many of his fireline knots broke at >200% marked strain. Having tried to break new fireline I can attest for Geoff Wilson's accuracy. I can't say if Berkley have improved the accuracy on the packaging.

I don't want to stuff it up braided mono. I was thinking of using it as a backing line plus running line, and I had heard that it broke a lot higher than the test marked on the box. I thought I might get away with 30lb if it tested higher. That kind of removes everything, stretch knots loops whatever. Just a thought. Interesting though. Max

check out this web address http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/dave03.htm

There's a test done on the breaking strain of different braid products.
    fireline is double the rating on the box.
    But possess a poor knot to breaking strain ratio for the knot used in the test, I suppose it all subjective though.

Poony

Steve GsP has terrible knot strength, unless you spend a lot of time tying a thing that needs double jointed acrobats doing it, or you use Loctite 406. I guess with Fireline one should use splices and a Loctite oxidising agent, then glue it. I'll accept the high b/s but I'll check it out. But John Devitt who is a mate of Jacks reconed GsP tests are not really valid if tested on standard IGFA machines, load rate, 400mm/minute, is too high for the low stretch line and should be reduced to around 100mm/minute. He is pretty right too, as his IGFA machine produces erratic test figures at the IGFA standard rate.
    I'm going to look at fireline for my long rod running line. Cheers Max

I hope I am not showing my ignorance here, but...

RE Load rates:

If there is such a large discrepency between fast and slow loading rates, wouldn't the most valid test be done under "fishing" type load rate ie: a lot faster than 10cm a minute..
    Wouldn't this result in a more reliable result for fisho's?

Sorry if I am way off.

How are you going to hang on to a gsp running line..
    fireline and big giant herring ...ouch.

Too right about the gsp and knot strength, bad fracture rate with any tight bends in it.
    I suppose thats why the splice is the best way to do it, less critical bends.

Would this be for the wong wod..

Poony

The IGFA load rate is standard for monofilament and because of the high stretch factor the load rate needs to be reasonably fast, to get rid of the stretch, but because of the low stretch of GsP a 400mm/min load rate appears as a "snap" load and causes very erratic readings. Then of course if there are any knots in the system, they also break eratically.
    Fishing load rates vary very widely and don't really tell you anything, because there is no standard to apply.
    There has to be an acceptable standard against which ALL lines are tested, particularly for recording purposes. Incidentially mono lines are tested after being soaked for a few hours, a dry test is not valid in IGFA. Cheers Max

I forgot, I never hang onto running line, On GH's it would be a straight offf the reel thing. I don't do the hand thing, reels are made to fight fish, hands are for keeping nice and neat, no lopped fingers etc. Max