Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I get a fly rod

Re: Should I get a fly rod

well thanks everyone I have found a couple of fly set ups that I can take for the weekend and try as soon as I get time I will give it a go and let you know what I think
    thanks again

Perhaps you should recognise that asking that question on a fly forum is going to get a lot of very biased replies, maybe you should ask the same question on other forums. I find that its fun, but so are other types of gear. Cheers Max

#### bait slingin. From my expierience, bait slingers kill fish, even if they release most swallow hooks and end up floatin.they also leave trash everywhere. i guess hardware is okay if u use single barbless hooks, but please, stay away from treble. in my opinion,flyrod is funnest, most challenging, and the best way to go. T&T baby! pinch down your barbs and become a real sportsman. J/K but it is smart to do. peace

Firstly lets get a few things straight. I didn't start SWF in 1967 because it caught more fish, I started it because it was harder, it still is. Fly fishing is not the be all and end all of salt water fishing. I can catch more fish in more places using a spin outfit and lead head jigs, than I can on fly and that means shallow estuary, off rocks, off boats whatever. The reason is simple, you need specific sea/weather/site conditions to use fly outfits, while you can cast spin gear just about anywhere. But I can also handle larger fish on the threadline gear, than most people could on 9 weights like. I think thats been proven about 1000 times. My SWF gear is mostly 12# stuff and I use it anywhere. These days my prime fly outfit is a 10/11# 15' Talon double hander. Where "You" might use a 8 or 9# I'll use a 12# because then I don't give a dam what gets on the end, and little stuff gets despatched in short order and are fine for release. But I always use shooting heads and special running lines and usually I use large flies, which is a sort of size filter. I don't want little fish. I generally use 15/18lb line on a fibreglass 8'6" rod with a fair threadline reel, and I cast 1.5 ounce white lead head jigs or lead/tin silver jigs. I once did the sportfishing thing, but now I'm old, like, practical common sense stuff is more important to me than funny and fancy ideas. I do my thing my way.
    Of course it might not suit a few Gurus, but who the hell cares about that. Max