Thread: New Rod

New Rod

Have a new 12# rod, an Old Florida IM6, rather neat, I can't cast but second chuck of the LC15 resulted in 84 feet without a leader. Bit gutsy, 2 piece, green, rather stiff but light. Cheers Max

Re: New Rod

Another new rod, like a TFO 10 foot 9 weight which might well be a 10 weight. casts equally as far. Reason, my running line is only 50 feet long. Suprise to Max. Reason I got it reefed at Cuvier 2 years ago, came off my Orvis reel, not used since, now I know I lost 70 feet of stuffed running line. Bummer, but TFO casts like a rocket, very nice great estuary stick, lovely for beaches and tailor.
    OF 12# great, TFO 10' great also.
    Cheers Max

Wonder if I can get this in Canada. I'm impressed. Go for it guy!

Cheers,

Marcy

Pretty sure you can, but its available just over the border, try jakes@mva.net
    He can tell you if it is available in Canada. Cheers Max

max, how do you like your old florida? been thinking about one for my 5wt. they just changed there reels,damnet,i liked the old ones

nevermind,sorry. read it wrong. been thinking about an old florida reel
    my bad. peace

Well in reels I like OF's because you can get one frame and three different capacity spools to suit different jobs.
    In the light fly thing, like 6 to 8# I like the LA55 and the LA66 for 9 to 10#. The LA77 is for larger stuff.
    Mind you the LA reels have a medium arbor and hold a wad of line, the LA77 holds 500 of 50BB, plus a stuffed running line 120 feet long and a 14# sinking head or a 44' hunk of LC15 lead core.
    I have a LA88, new 4.5" diameter and a SA8 which is a Super Arbor version of the Model 8.
    But they are a standard sort of draw bar reel, with exceptional drag's. I use Jack Erskines Reel Goo on my OF's and I don't think you could get a better drag anywhere. And that includes the Tibors. I use the LA77 for my Old Florida and Temple Fork rods, up to 12 weights and the bigger reels for my Talon 15 foot 10/11 stick.
    I am as happy as pigs in muck with the reels, and you can get the spools
    without holes if you like. www.oldfloridareels.com. Ask for Paul. Max

Hi Max,
    You wrote:-
    "Have a new 12# rod, an Old Florida IM6, rather neat, I can't cast but second chuck of the LC15 resulted in 84 feet without a leader."

Really suggest to move on up to a ###### Conquest, maybe its even cheaper to buy, however with a LC13 over a 10w the normal with the casters who have tried is 110 feet. (measured with a fiberglass tape)

Guess things are moving fast in this F/F World, and the consumers are the winners.

Kind regards,
    Uncle Barry.
    Barry Ryan.

Ah but the running line was only 50 feet long. Normally it casts a 100 foot running line easy as pie with 34 feet of LC15, which means 134 feet without a leader. But the LC's dump a bit. Mind you I doubt it would get that far with a fair fly on the end.
    But they all pale in the light of the Wong Wod, Talons rule VBG. Over the hill and into tomorrow. Cheers Happy Gnu Yr. max.