Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beach Fly Fishing

Re: Beach Fly Fishing

Wes with a medium sized longtail and a 9ft GLX noodle..

Imagine
    60% longer rod..
    60% bigger fish..
    600% more trouble....

George

Re: Beach Fly Fishing

My word that is a sloppy stick isn't it. No butt guts, or is it one of those wimpy 8's. Look no one has suggested that landing salt water fish is a snack on any fly rod, but it certainly improves if you use practical gear like 12's with some butt. I was only saying that casting would be a snack,considering that most off boat stuff is not that long. I've owned 2 of the things and caught a lot of fish out of them with 9' glass sticks, and a graphite 10#. But generally the very long rods are best off shore platforms because its oriented for distance. How do you set hooks at 100 feet, , easy, use a stuffed no stretch backing/running line and big circle hooks. short shooting heads, 30' stuff and short leaders with a little bit of buffer.
    Technically the stuffed system is the way to go, because it has no knots, no stretch and casts like a rocket.
    Mind you as far as local Swoffers are concerned, long rods are like new technology, but overseas its normal practise and people handle line lengths up to 70 plus feet. I have a 725gn loop intermediate head 50 feet long and a 9# AirFlo head 45 feet long.
    Very hard to organise if you are used to LC13's. Max
    PS the fly is a SST tied by Dave Sellers, just for Max. I love it.