Thread: Oooopssss

Oooopssss

Now thats a fly rod, and snake guides. Any messages.Max

Re: Oooopssss

The original pic before cutting, note that the fly reel is on an angle away from the direction of line entry into the guides. Also note the obvious runner size change and the line wrap in the tip section. Snakes are dud ducks ain't they. Max

Hi Max

I had that poster up last year year nice.
    i did notice the huge over head knot in the fly line its just near reel.

The calender used to live in the shed i always left it on that page for some reason. the knot sent/sends me bamy.

Cheers
    Stuie

I think the line going up the rod thru the guides is more interesting, quite a bit of choking going on there. Max

Max

Are saying the looping line between the guides is particular to snakes?? How would normal guides over come that?

Well higher off the blank, and larger diameter for starters. Snake guides were invented as a system to add restriction as the rod angle changed, which is why a lot of anglers use the rod like a extension of a handline.
    The rod andle increases runner drag.
    I did up a 11# blank with single foot guides at spin rod positions, the runner positions were set by deflecting the blank, like rod builders do, and the runners put where they would be if the rod was a spin stick. It didn't bother casting, and fished pretty well. In fact its still being used by a guy around here.
    Personally I think it was better for SWF stuff than the standard set up.
    My 15' rod has bridge guides, and a reduced number than a similar rod done up with snakes.
    But that pic us interesting because it shows what a fly line does going up a rod. Max

Thanks for that. Interesting!

Well I don't use full lines, only heads and stuffed running lines, so what happens to the running line is somewhat different, since it is thinner and the runner/line diameter ratio is different, but the outer of the running lines is braided mono which is pretty rough and it does sing through the guides. Trying to get a softer smoother running line of very small diameter. Cheers Max