Thread: Tippet Material

Tippet Material

I'm hoping someone can suggest a tippet material in the 2-3 kg range which I can use in an upcoming ANSA event at Terrible Creek via the Bowen river Collinsville. I will be targetting Sooties, Barra, Archer fish and Catties. Any suggestions on a leader set up as well would be appreciated.

AL. ???

swflyfish

Re: Tippet Material

G'day Allan,
    I use a tapered leader system as this does help to roll the fly out (especially with longer leaders). This doesn't have to be too fancy. There is an article I know of on the site www.swflyfish.com that goes into the leader I am talking about. As for tippet material, the choice is pretty large. I tend to stay away from 'hard' lines such as 'Mason' as the knot strenght is not too good especially when you are using light line. Try brands like Platypus if you are going for ANSA records.

Hope this helps.

C-Ya.

Brett_Finger

AL,
    i'd be looking at the Penn 10X S-4,i the line class of your choice.
    simply the highest abrasive line in the country,it also retains a higher breaking % of it's stated class on overhand knots
    Hookin,Brett

Scott_Mitchell

Al:I have been using RIO material for the past few year and have found it to be very reliable.

You can use either their new RIO MAX which is IGFA rated from 2kg to 20kg and is a very clear medium soft material which knots easily.

If you want a harder material you can use their IGFA Hard material which is a clear highly abrasion resistant material a bit like the old Mason - but a lot more knotable.

Regards Scotto

Thanks guys, That will get me started.

AL.