Thread: trouble with heavy flies

trouble with heavy flies

Hi guys does any one have the same trouble i have?,can't cast as far, I can feel the fly thumping at the back cast [line fully stretched] and the forward cast the line takes any shape it wants on the landing and lot shorter distance than the unweighted flies.
    the rod is sage 8wt line cortland 8wt clear intermidiat tip.
    I can cast 20 m with light flies.
    any advice is apreciated.
    cheers vince.

Re: trouble with heavy flies

This prob isnt addressed enough for us beginerflyfishers(Harros the only person Ive read explaining it in Fisho mag), fast sink lines and heavy flies can be very frustrating. Harro solved the troubles I was having in about 10mins, You need to"Open your loops" a lil and slow down the back cast.Keep it all 1 fluid motion. Some tutorage does help, if you live in SEQld go see Harro(when he gets back from his grand slam fly orgy).You can also tie Clousers with bead chain,sinks alot slower but less scary to cast. Good luck MQ

You might consider uprating the line, that is trying a 9# or even 10# line, and reducing the casting to one backcast and a foward cast.
    The reason is that the rod 8# is the AFTMA rating and is detirmined by the weight of the first 30' of a DT line, less the front taper, ie 210gns but casting such things means a lot more line out than just 30', like about as much 45 feet. Like 30+ feet, plus the front taper, out of the runners plus 9 feet up the runners etc. This means the "real" rod load is about 1.5 times the AFTMA rating. For an 8# the optimum load is 315gns, ideally 280gns or 10#, wheras the AFTMA rating is 210gns. If you use a WF line you need to go up in weight. The heavier line will probably carry the heavy fly a bit better than the 8# line anyway.
    While you are playing around I'd leave Clousers alone, because the Clouser Rod Kill Rate, the CRKR is about twice the USAF kill rate in WW2. It's to do with weight hitting graphite rods at high velocity. It isn't anything to do with the fly itself, just the casting action required to handle them correctly. You should be aware of the problem. Cheers Max

Quinny too right about slowing down the casting stroke and opening the loops .
    This may be harder for some to do as they have a naturally fast casting stroke so they have to train themselves and use self discipline to slow their action down.

Using a slower rod and getting the timing right can be pretty benificial when heaving clousers or hucking heads.
    Counting out the cast can also help you get your arm into a slower tempo.

Poony

Yeah, I have a fair bit of trouble casting heavy heads too. I found (as the above posts mention) to make your casts less 'jerky' (one fluid motion) and time the forward thrust just as the backcast is straightening out.

Harro gave me a few lessons and as I said to him "Geez, I didn't know just how useless (not really the word I used ) I was until I was shown properly."

Hunt him down and get some lessons!

Good luck.

Cheers, NS

Jack_Lives_Here

Getting the timing right means practice - means more fishing