Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So, how many longtail did the flys catch?

So, how many longtail did the flys catch?

What was the scores guys,the fish were big and there were lots of them The homemade slugs gave them a caning through the week
    Rob

Re: So, how many longtail did the flys catch?

Rob,

I'd be interested in the final results of the Longtail Comp. There was a few fish in front of Bribie.

Matt K and I fish Bribie on Sunday, though we were not in the comp. We got a double hookup early just north of Woorim. We boated both fish. We got a handful of hookups on "home tied" surf candies, but lost them due to tippet failure and sharks. Matt lost a whole flyline to a tiger shark that ate his longie. There goes $100.

Beautiful day on the water.

Rob, drowning baits and towing plastic must be too easy now. You need a challenge, get yourself a 11 weight fly rod. You know you want to. "The Force Will be with You!" - Obi Wan Kanobi[Star Wars].

Let me know when you come across the mother lode of 20kg Longtails.

Wes

Wes, I do have a interest in flyfishing, we were using Jack's alvey for dolphins on sunday, and sightcasting them, is that flyfishn Ill let you know Wes, but there was some monsters north of Peel on friday, over 20 without question!
    Rob

Yeah thanks for the day Wes - awesome as always.. The tuna getting sharked was worth a fly line without a doubt! Will never forget it (or swim at Bribie again) #

Keen to see the photos hint hint!!

Matt.

Must have been a few sharks around, had one chomp a MacT clean in half on Sat, we took a pic of the head and threw it back in the drink, as soon as it hit the noha slid out from under Daves boat and had the rest.They told us the final tally but cant remember,beer works so well when youve been in the sun all day .Great week end.......

Jack_Lives_Here

Can't remember myself - post it a little latter. I know most people found them hard to come by on Sunday, except Quinny.

Wes, that might be the same shark that ate my longy about 4 weeks back. Apparently there is one that lives in that area.

Yeh Hookin them wasnt hard (when your up front of a 4stroke sport fishing machine like"Jack Lives here 2") but getting em to the boat on a #9/10s a bit hard, Tha last one was still in 5th gear after 30mins. Just when it was looking good it spat the fly like an old bit of chewy. I was almost glad, They are defenetlly worth the hype. Maybe get one in the boat this Sun.

G,day all
    Results for the bribie comp as follows, Kym Strathern 1st place with 8 longs & 2 macks, myself 2nd place with 5 longs & 13 macks, shawn aka witchdoctor 3rd with 5 longs & 10 macks, Champion team to Team Waterhaul. Wes , as Dave said mr Tiger shark does live on the bottom end of Bribie, he has tried to take many a fish from under my boat with no succes, somehow we always manage to see him first and pop the fish before he has a chance to have his lunch. Have even seen him try to grab a fish,fail and slide straight back under the boat and wait for his next chance. Back to the comp. Good to see a heap of new guys fishing ,hope the Jack Lives Here Too team pull's one this weekend.

Jack_Lives_Here

Team NFI for last weekend
    Been tying flies each chance I get.

DAVE, little hint, tie em a bit bigger than the one i showed you at rogers, better size for the longies.
    Scott

Jack_Lives_Here

Cool. I noticed Sunday there was larger bait down deeper.

Any fish get taken for research? Not the best weather for the coming weekend.

Well done Scott and Shawn. Now your little tournament trail is over we will have to catch up for a social fish.

Rob

Jack_Lives_Here

Rob (mackmauler) only fish allowed to be kept were if they qualify for an Australian record. If you presented a fish that did not equal or exceed a record, your points would be lost.

Scotty, shawn, and jason - great job, cant hope for anything better can you!!

Dave - nice to see you and quinny on sat morn, after you guys left we went out off the cape for some bottem bashing and trolling - didnt do too bad with a few nice reefies and a couple of striped tuna on the troll. Gezzz they go hard for there size.

went out again on sunday of m'bah looking for some tuna but it was pritty dismal. Looked from coolum to caloundra and only found fish about the maroochy river mouth. mainly macs and only saw one skool of longies, didnt have any luck with either species though.

so where did all you guys fish - along the beach, around S1/M1 or tangalooma, or further south again?

cheers, Justin