Thread: rod racks

rod racks

I'm setting up a new 15' boat and need some help tracking down the best rod holders to hold fly rods. I have an open fibreglass boat with built in pads to take the rod holders, but the only ones i've seen are for bait rods, and you have to pull the rods out through foam holders. i'd rather something with a series of padded holding racks and some clamp over strap to keep them in place. any ideas?
    cheers
    john hockings

Re: rod racks

Fly rods are best held in the hand, unlike trolling rods they tend to cast better....what about some pvc tubing lined with foam ruber for the time ...
    Time for a Kilkenny

Hey John
    glad to see you finally got the new boat, shame it was after the comp. i put some holders in my boat. They are a series of EVA foam wedges with a velcro strap over each one. Got em from Roger, not sure of the brand but he will remember if you ask him. They seem to work fairly well but you need to make sure when you screw them in you use a an oversize washer to help spread the holding area.
    Cheers Scott

thanks guys, i'll give roger a try see you out there scottie. i guess i'll be chalking up the first 10-15 hours on the new motor down here before i head up to poona.

Brett_Finger

Tuna @ Poona ?
    Hookin,Brett

John,

I tried to e-mail you the stuff about crease flies but it failed due to disc quota.

John,

Here's a link to how to tie a Crease fly http://www.sanjoseflyshop.com/flies_creasefly.asp

I got my kit from the originator of the fly - Joe Blados

Here a place that sell the kits
    http://www.sanjoseflyshop.com/flies_kits.asp

Wes
    I'll have to come up and try out the rod racks.

Wes

SNELLY

John, The racks you are looking for are NASCAN brand and have places for 4 rods made of foam and velcro to hold the rods in #place.

Are you happy with the boat ?

Regards JON SNELL

Hi Jon
    thanks, by co-incidence i found some nascan racks at tackle warehouse last saturday, but they only hd one set so i've ordered another now. glad to hear they're the same as what you use. i don't pick up the boat now till maybe next week, but i've seen it a few times and love it. motor is going on now. will send pics when it arrives. can't wait!
    cheers

John,

Here's an article by Dan Blanton on the PVC rod holder.

http://www.danblanton.com/rodracks.html

I'm planning to fish Bribie this weekend. Do you want to join me?

Wes

Wes, I got some spare marine carpet if you wana put some in your rod compartments on your boat.Let me know.Its Maroon however, wont match your blue floor carpet. see ya MQ

wes, you around?

wes, i'm busy from 1pm tomorrow, and going down to the sanctuary cove show early sunday morning..when are you fishing..pity i missed your post yesterday or i could have organised my weekend better and got out with you...thanks for the offer